The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,398 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dammit. I didn’t need to see this today.

It feels so good in my hands. I didn’t even plug it in until I cleaned it up. I think it has the wrong pick ups, but maybe not. It has a different bridge than what I see on others in pictures online. It all seems legit. If it had the offshore Steinberger bridge, there would definitely be evidence. It looks original, and the trem is not set up. I am missing the correct Trem bar. It has an ebony or ebonite finger board, and the mahogany neck is through the body. There is a nice thick maple cap. I know that I paid too much, but I have never seen this before.
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

·
Premium Member
1,398 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Does that pre-date PRS guitars?
Actually, from my reading, it sounds like another lawsuit situation, but I have not come across any talk of a settlement. But, that might explain the short run, and no records of actual numbers produced. Development of Gibson Nouveau prototypes may have begun in 1985 or so. However, production of Gibson with the Epiphone name, began in late 1987, or early 1988, with production ending in early 1989. There were numerous problems with the soft metal used in the Steinberger bridges. Mine must be the updated bridge. A Squier trem arm screws into the bridge block. The Squier arm is too tall and in the way when I try to play with it installed. The bridge block is larger and tapers to thinner where the springs lock in. I only have two springs on mine. Might be missing one? It will need study and adjustment. I also need the correct arm.

PRS was a young company. There was talk of Gibson prototypes produced, and then a switch to Epiphone branding. I read a quote from a Gibson official about the parts being made in Japan, but more realistically from Korea, then assembled in Nashville.

I think that it was more likely made in Korea, then set up and inspected in Nashville. Lack of serial numbers on mine is common, due to the sticker method of serial numbers. Also country of origin was likely on a sticker. It probably had an assembled or inspected in the USA sticker on it at one time. Previous owners either removed them or they easily fell off.

Overall condition is really good for 30 years, fret wear is minimal. The sound that comes from the guitar is refreshingly different, and unique. I need to spend time playing with pick up adjustments. They were extremely close to the strings and the pickups were very strong, likely producing false, ghosting tone on some individual strings. I have dropped the pickups below the rings and found improvements. I may have non original pick ups. EMG Selects were the chosen pick ups. Mine look like Dimarzio or a dirty finger style pickup.

I may have an original case. It looks like a black vintage Fender case on the outside, but has a tight fitting, molded friction fit, with a padded ramp that supports the neck and headstock correctly.

Very interesting in many ways, lots to learn, verify, and maybe mod a little.

·
Premium Member
17,191 Posts
I've never heard of or seen that before, good work.

·
Registered
514 Posts
Is it just me, or does that look like one of those very junky pot metal blocks on the trem? There could be some good avenues to make that gorgeous beast sound even better.

·
Registered
18,563 Posts
That is a very beautiful PRepiphone.

Reactions: Tone Chaser

·
Premium Member
1,398 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
Is it just me, or does that look like one of those very junky pot metal blocks on the trem? There could be some good avenues to make that gorgeous beast sound even better.

Yes to what you are thinking. I believe that with the Steinberger bridges failing on multiple levels, they salvaged the rest of the existing bodies like this. Routing a hole for the inexpensive, offshore, two post bridge.

·
Premium Member
1,398 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
There is a crack in the wood that will need deep glueing. Likely from the stress of a poor trem, and poor set up.
image.jpg

That block is wide where it bolts to the bridge plate and tapers to thin where the springs hook in. I took the picture directly over the block. There is some sort of material stuck on the block to dampen where it makes contact with the body.

I wonder if I can make the bridge float, and stay in tune.

·
Premium Member
1,398 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
While I am taking pictures, I will include the electronics. There are no pictures of original wiring for these guitars posted anywhere. I am not even sure that the wiring is 100% original.
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

1 - 20 of 43 Posts