The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

Which wiring would you go for?

• 50's Les Paul wiring

• Jimmy Page 4 x push/pull pots for pickup variations

• Other - please comment on what it is and why it's awesome.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I haven't had a real Les Paul since the days of the P90 gem series (I had the 'Topaz' burst style) and I was wanting one for the stable. I heard a lot of good things about these so I asked my local L&M if they could get 2 in to compare, which they did. Both had excellent fit and finish. Not a whisper of bad frets, inlay filler, things crooked, or anything. Top marks from me. The only thing I would mention is that one had the action too low, and one too high. Easily remedied. They were both very resonant, with the one I ended up buying being slightly more so. It vibrates acoustically quite a lot!

I got it home and I really like the look of the gold tops with black trim, so I set about doing that, along with a metal output jack, amber knobs, and a vintage switch tip. I think this gee-tar is all dressed up for the show now.

I gotta say though, this finish is REALLY easy to mark! You look at it wrong and it gets scratched and dented. I am careful with my equipment, but I am resigned to this one getting road worn quickly.

The gig bag is quite the looker. We will see how it holds up. The leather-look vinyl looks and feels like it may get trashed easily.

Overall weight is 8.4lbs and the 2018's don't have weight relief.

Sounds HUGE! I am a happy camper.

I couldn't find many pictures of the look I was going for, except one on another forum but it wasn't quite what I was after. I figure I would post a picture of the final outcome.

I am thinking of doing the Jimmy Page wiring mod. I love push/pull pickup variations, and always remember how cool the mid 90's signature Jimmy Page Les Paul was. Some I think I'm gonna make my own!

Or the straight up 50's wiring.

I find the guitar dulls quickly with the current pots. Can't see what value they are. So I want to fix that anyway.

·
Premium Member
18,789 Posts
I am thinking of doing the Jimmy Page wiring mod. I love push/pull pickup variations, and always remember how cool the mid 90's signature Jimmy Page Les Paul was. Some I think I'm gonna make my own!
Absolutely stunning guitar! Congrats!

I say go for the Page wiring, especially as you like it's variations and cool factor. The 50's wiring is always easy to do sometime in the future.

·
Registered
203 Posts
I have the 2017 Tribute gold top. The stock wiring is fine.

I immediately ditched the “Tribute” labeled truss cover for a blank one, replaced the silver insert knobs with traditional ones, and put in a creme poker chip pickup selector ring (all cheap at L&M).

I’ve decided I’m not a humbucker person, and am looking to flip it for something with P 90’s. My Nashville Tele covers the single coil sounds already.

The Tribute series is amazing...American made, PLEK neck, good pickups, and spot-on QC from all reports. It saves money on grain filler and lacquer finish, and has a disposable gig bag. I hope you really enjoy yours.

·
Premium Member
1,071 Posts
I’m not a fan of splitting the Humbuckers
I am also not a fan as it results in a thin & weak tone that doesn't sound like a single coil at all to me. And then there's the volume drop as well.

Something I tried on one of my guitars that I really like is a "tuned coil tap". In a typical coil split, you take out one of the coils by dumping its signal to ground and then you are left with just the other coil. With a tuned coil tap, basically you put a capacitor and/or resistor in the path where you normally send the signal to ground so that only part of the signal goes to ground, but part of it continues on.

What you get is actually a somewhat darker tone, no volume drop, and it is still partially hum-cancelling. The component values that you pick affect how drastically the tone changes. I wanted something subtle, so I picked a 0.0047 capacitor (not 0.047) and a 470k resistor in parallel. The result is a slight tonal difference, but still noticeable, especially with a clean tone. There is bit less high end, but some of the upper-mids are affected as well. It's hard to describe, but I like it.

Anyway, if you've got some alligator clips and extra components (or choose to buy some extra ones... they are cheap!), try some experiments to see what you like. No need to start soldering to try out various sounds.

·
Premium Member
329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I am also not a fan as it results in a thin & weak tone that doesn't sound like a single coil at all to me. And then there's the volume drop as well.

Something I tried on one of my guitars that I really like is a "tuned coil tap". In a typical coil split, you take out one of the coils by dumping its signal to ground and then you are left with just the other coil. With a tuned coil tap, basically you put a capacitor and/or resistor in the path where you normally send the signal to ground so that only part of the signal goes to ground, but part of it continues on.

What you get is actually a somewhat darker tone, no volume drop, and it is still partially hum-cancelling. The component values that you pick affect how drastically the tone changes. I wanted something subtle, so I picked a 0.0047 capacitor (not 0.047) and a 470k resistor in parallel. The result is a slight tonal difference, but still noticeable, especially with a clean tone. There is bit less high end, but some of the upper-mids are affected as well. It's hard to describe, but I like it.

Anyway, if you've got some alligator clips and extra components (or choose to buy some extra ones... they are cheap!), try some experiments to see what you like. No need to start soldering to try out various sounds.
Good advice! I like the tuned coil tap idea.

I'm not overly bothered by the drop in volume and not a proper single coil sound like some people are bothered about. I just like different sounds at my disposal.

·
Registered
4,402 Posts
Used to own an early 2000s Classic that had received several upgrades from a previous owner, incl. Throbak pickups, Tone Pros (?) ABR-1 & 4 push/pull pots for series/parallel, phase & coil taps. Here are my impressions of Jimmy Page wiring:

My absolute favourite tone on that guitar was both pickups split, in series. Similar to a 4-way switch on a Tele, this essentially turned them into one giant “Goldilocks” humbucker.

The split bridge on its’ own sucked, but adding the split neck to the bridge HB (in parallel) was really nice for clean chords.

The out of phase tones were too thin, lost a lot of volume & didn’t do an authentic Peter Green tone. Greeny’s guitar was magnetically out of phase due to a magnet in the neck pup having it’s polarity reversed, but wired standard. My #1 LP for a number of years had this mod & the magic happens when the 2 volume controls “pass each other like ships in the night”. IME pickups that are wired out of phase do not have the Green magic.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts