The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
735 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My first Strat and I’m really enjoying it. Love the neck, pickups, and frets and it’s super light. Plays and sounds amazing and the fit/finish is absolutely flawless.

Whole world of new-yet-familiar sounds for a guy who’s always played Gibsons. Brought it to band practice last week and didn’t want to put it down. Just a fantastic feeling and sounding guitar that is very inspiring to play. Very happy with it!

BF60D3DD-AA67-4155-AF9E-8B9909F597B7.jpeg

FDAAD4F8-8E36-40F4-BE68-4D9BAB944794.jpeg

·
Premium Member
12,559 Posts
When I bought my first Strat (after playing an LP for a few years), it took me a while to get used to the volume control being in the way. It's a non-issue now, though.

·
Registered
735 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks, guys. It’s a sweet guitar and the Strat world is fun. Spending a lot of time on the neck pickup, so tasty, as well as position 2 - that “quack” is a lot of fun.

Congrats!
Nice family pic.
I like your location too.
Thanks.
Ha! Big ZZ fan here. :)

When I bought my first Strat (after playing an LP for a few years), it took me a while to get used to the volume control being in the way. It's a non-issue now, though.
Yes, it’s why I’ve avoided them for so long. Just felt immediately annoying and in the way. Already getting used to it though, and adjusting my right hand position/technique, even starting to like how it’s so easy to reach.

·
Premium Member
12,559 Posts
Yes, it’s why I’ve avoided them for so long. Just felt immediately annoying and in the way. Already getting used to it though, and adjusting my right hand position/technique, even starting to like how it’s so easy to reach.
Watching Jeff Beck work a Strat is a thing of beauty.

·
Registered
4,079 Posts
Reminds me of my second guitar, an 80s Squier* that I bought ~25 yrs. ago for $300 thanks to a cracked finish - - the original owner had stored it in the attic for a winter or two. I've always had a thing for black/maple Strats, but options in a pre-internet small town were very limited so I bought the next best thing. I played that Squier almost begrudgingly as I really wanted a maple board, but the black/RW look has grown on me over the years.

Love the look of vintage saddles on the performance of a 2 point trem & think it's great that Fender is finally offering a chunky neck on something less costly than a CS model. How are those pickups?

*Sorry, no idea if it was MIJ or Korea, I didn't pay attention to those types of things back then.

·
Registered
735 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Love the look of vintage saddles on the performance of a 2 point trem & think it's great that Fender is finally offering a chunky neck on something less costly than a CS model. How are those pickups?
Yes, I love the neck. One of the main things that drew me to this guitar. The V-Mod pickups sound really good to me, on the hotter side but still very Strat-y. Seem perfect for blues/rock, pretty loud and lively; very even from one to another; I also didn’t notice a huge drop when switching from my LP at practice. Used an EP Booster a bit, but didn’t have to and turned it off, at times.

I tried a few CS models, while looking, and honestly liked this one better.

·
Premium Member
2,511 Posts
I’ve been back to look at it a few times and the black/rosewood combo looks sharp. I have also been impressed by the feel and playability of the Am Pro Strats I’ve tried. They feel light and lively, the necks and frets feel great and the pickups sound good. Overall, I think they've done a great job on these.

·
Registered
735 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I’ve been back to look at it a few times and the black/rosewood combo looks sharp. .
Yeah, I like it, too. The rosewood is also what made me recently more drawn towards owning a Strat.

For some reason, I’d only ever tried maple-necked Fenders and they’d always felt completely alien, which, along with the Strat’s volume knob placement, made me never play one much longer than a few minutes.

Tried a rosewood Strat a few months ago and wow, it immediately felt more familiar and playable. Couldn’t put the thing down.

I have also been impressed by the feel and playability of the Am Pro Strats I’ve tried. They feel light and lively, the necks and frets feel great and the pickups sound good. Overall, I think they've done a great job on these.
Yes, all the little tweaks (neck shape, frets, pickups, treble bleed) come together to make a very appealing instrument. Highly recommended!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts