The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Premium Member
547 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is a bit of a strange post for me. I never post NGD threads mainly due to the fact I usually pick up between 4-6 guitars a month in deals and resell/retrade (most) of them. This special R4 is my 929th guitar. A friend of mine in Nova Scotia has had it for a bit and i've been after it for at least the past 2-3 years. He finally decided to let it go and I quickly offered a couple of guitars to trade for it and he finally accepted. What makes it special is that it's finished in honeyburst. The previous owner was told it was one of two ordered and shipped to Canada by Long & McQuade. I contacted Gibson and they weren't able to help me with shipping details, but was told definitely not many made. So these two supposedly made could be the only ones made in '10.

To me it's got all the perfect features: beautiful honeyburst, subtle figuring on top half, plain on bottom, wrap tailpiece and P90's. Also light at 8.5lbs. One of those guitars that you can't go a day without looking at it or playing it. Has that "woody tone" in spades. Total rock machine!

Now, this part of my post will be a bit of a downer..I got this guitar a week and a half ago, but there's a reason I'm only posting now. The first person I told about the guitar in the band was my drummer Marc. He always loves it when I bring vintage or unusual or rare pieces at band rehearsals. I told him Thursday that i'd bring it to practice on Sunday and couldn't wait to play it at our next show (this past Friday night)..Unfortunately, we found out he was in a motorcycle accident Saturday morning. We knew he had been rushed to a hospital 90 minutes away from here to see a vascular surgeon, but that's all we knew for about 4 days until he was transferred back to one of our local hospitals. Turns out a drunk driver veered thru 3 lanes and hit him head-on. Severed his left leg, broke his left arm and a bone in his back. He never lost consciousness..He just said he kept looking for his leg while bleeding profusely. Thankfully a cop showed up about 45 seconds later and helped trying to stop the bleeding, and effectively saved his life. The doctors successfully reattached his leg. I saw him at the hospital a couple of days ago and he said he'll be fine. "The left leg is my high hat leg" he says..I'll be back behind the kit in no time." He's a tough old 53 year old punk! He then says.."Sorry my situation got our gig cancelled and never got to see your new guitar"..I said, that's fine..I still plan on having it once you get out of here..And i'll use it on our next album- with you behind the kit. That seemed to make him happy and lifted his spirits. Honestly, I believe his 40 year drumming career might be over, but you never know.

When I look at this guitar now, I always think about Marc and already feel a sentimental attachment to it..Something I never felt with the other guitars i've picked up.

Pics..But she looks way better in person!

·
Premium Member
16,829 Posts
That looks like a rock machine.

If your drummer feels like he'll never play again, look up a band called The Ghost Inside, their bus accident and their drummers' progress.

·
Premium Member
2,084 Posts
Wow. I've never met the man but please give my regards to your drummer and his family. I've ridden motorcycles for over 40 yrs and know all-too-well how vulnerable riders are on the roadways. Anyway, I'd appreciate you keeping us posted on this fellows recovery.

Now, regarding that guitar, it's pretty much the epitome of the perfect guitar in my eyes as well: subtle burst over plaintop, twin P-90's, wraptail, and light weight. Nicely done.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Awesome, I'm looking for any info on it! Do you know/remember if only two made or shipped here?
Yessir - can confirm.
I was told by the original owner that it is indeed 1 of 2 shipped to Canada; not made, but shipped.
Still a very rare axe!

·
Premium Member
17,329 Posts
I am happy for you that you have a beautiful, new guitar.

The news about Marc, your drummer, is just too sad and overwhelming. He seems to be a very "tough" fellow with lots of "fight" and an amazing attitude. Could you please keep us posted regarding his progress..Thanks.

·
Premium Member
547 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yessir - can confirm.
I was told by the original owner that it is indeed 1 of 2 shipped to Canada; not made, but shipped.
Still a very rare axe!
Well, I just found this video, confirming there's at least a third one out there..Although I noticed his control knobs are the wrong ones for a '54 reissue:

·
Premium Member
547 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The news about Marc, your drummer, is just too sad and overwhelming. He seems to be a very "tough" fellow with lots of "fight" and an amazing attitude. Could you please keep us posted regarding his progress..Thanks.
Will do!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Glad it went to a good home and will get played Claude!
I'm going to miss her but I still have her sister hanging around....the only reason I let it go.
All the best to your drummer , hope his recovery goes smoothly as possible.

·
Registered
3,888 Posts
IIRC @faracaster had one of those, not sure if it was the other one that was shipped to Canada by Gibson or if he acquired it later on from the States.

Best wishes to your buddy for a speedy recovery, hopefully he can still get joy from music for many years.

·
Registered
38 Posts
This is a bit of a strange post for me. I never post NGD threads mainly due to the fact I usually pick up between 4-6 guitars a month in deals and resell/retrade (most) of them. This special R4 is my 929th guitar. A friend of mine in Nova Scotia has had it for a bit and i've been after it for at least the past 2-3 years. He finally decided to let it go and I quickly offered a couple of guitars to trade for it and he finally accepted. What makes it special is that it's finished in honeyburst. The previous owner was told it was one of two ordered and shipped to Canada by Long & McQuade. I contacted Gibson and they weren't able to help me with shipping details, but was told definitely not many made. So these two supposedly made could be the only ones made in '10.

To me it's got all the perfect features: beautiful honeyburst, subtle figuring on top half, plain on bottom, wrap tailpiece and P90's. Also light at 8.5lbs. One of those guitars that you can't go a day without looking at it or playing it. Has that "woody tone" in spades. Total rock machine!

Now, this part of my post will be a bit of a downer..I got this guitar a week and a half ago, but there's a reason I'm only posting now. The first person I told about the guitar in the band was my drummer Marc. He always loves it when I bring vintage or unusual or rare pieces at band rehearsals. I told him Thursday that i'd bring it to practice on Sunday and couldn't wait to play it at our next show (this past Friday night)..Unfortunately, we found out he was in a motorcycle accident Saturday morning. We knew he had been rushed to a hospital 90 minutes away from here to see a vascular surgeon, but that's all we knew for about 4 days until he was transferred back to one of our local hospitals. Turns out a drunk driver veered thru 3 lanes and hit him head-on. Severed his left leg, broke his left arm and a bone in his back. He never lost consciousness..He just said he kept looking for his leg while bleeding profusely. Thankfully a cop showed up about 45 seconds later and helped trying to stop the bleeding, and effectively saved his life. The doctors successfully reattached his leg. I saw him at the hospital a couple of days ago and he said he'll be fine. "The left leg is my high hat leg" he says..I'll be back behind the kit in no time." He's a tough old 53 year old punk! He then says.."Sorry my situation got our gig cancelled and never got to see your new guitar"..I said, that's fine..I still plan on having it once you get out of here..And i'll use it on our next album- with you behind the kit. That seemed to make him happy and lifted his spirits. Honestly, I believe his 40 year drumming career might be over, but you never know.

When I look at this guitar now, I always think about Marc and already feel a sentimental attachment to it..Something I never felt with the other guitars i've picked up.

Pics..But she looks way better in person!

Great Guitar! even better was the story behind it.. Im thinkin (Marc) gets 1st shot at the Lespaul, once he rehabs & gets back behind the Kit! Get well soon bud!

Sent from my LGMS550 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2,017 Posts
@Roryfan good memory. And through your tagging me, brought my attention to this thread.
Yes very cool guitar Claude. Congrats
What a tragic touching story about your drummer. It seems by what you've said about him here, is that he has the stuff to rise above this senseless accident. Hopefully he does return to that drum throne soon.
All my best most positive thoughts sent out to him.

Here's a picture of your guitar's twin. Serial number R4 0104

1 - 20 of 30 Posts