The Canadian Guitar Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Some of you may have seen the thread about me accidentally buying the wrong guitar. I was looking for an 80's or 90's MIJ les paul, and found this Beauty, but I didn't read the description properly. So, you are about to look upon the pictures of my 1990 Greco Mint Collection Series EGW-80 ultrathin. Arched top and back, and only about 1-3/8 thick from top to bottom at the binding. Took out the neck pup and found out it has the long tenon as well!! Open O on the headstock!! Screamin pups!

Here's the pics. I need to give her a good cleaning. And the best part, I knew it was going to come in some sort of hard case, but it actually is the right size!! I kept my epiphone case just in case and this one is a bit thinner than a standard case and fits the guitar beautifully!! Bonus!!

·
Premium Member
5,705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
I just weighed it on my scale and it looks to be about 3.25 kg give or take as my scale is not that accurate. Just putting new strings on her now.

So she is a bit heavier than a strat, a lot heavier than my LP Hollowbody.

These pups a freaking awesome!!!!!!! I wonder what it would sound like it my amp was not so clean. You can tell they want to break up, but my Vibroverb is too clean. LOL Still sounds awesome

Reactions: fretzel

·
Premium Member
12,980 Posts
Cool guitar. Looks like the did a cross between an LPC and the L5-S. I've always wanted to play an L5-S.

·
Premium Member
5,705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
the pups are screamin 82's I forgot to take a picture of it

I love this guitar, its a little heavier than my strat and the tone is amazing, I can't compare to a real Gibson, but it sounds much better than my upgraded Epiphone ever did.

I hear the Custom Lite from Gibson came out in '15/'16, but was there an older model? I also hear they suffer from QC issues.

·
Premium Member
5,705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
It has lots of tiny dings , but there is no paint missing anywhere, used some Maguiars to give her a quick cleaning. Normally I would put 9-46 strings but I actually have none, so I found a pack of Dean Markley 11-49 Jazz lights and they sound really nice too.

·
Registered
12,871 Posts
I thought that Greco stopped making the Customs with the split diamond in the early '80s?

In this thread, there's a link to some Greco catalogs.
In the '85 catalog, they had gone to the "torch", or "ice cream cone" on the headstock.
There are gaps in the years of the catalogs, the nearest older showed the split diamond in '82.

楽器カタログの世界 - エレキギター・エフェクター・アンプ・キーボード '70s〜'80s カタログ

Source...

Can you 'date' a Greco LP custom from the Headstock? - Japanxe

·
Premium Member
1,385 Posts
Nice guitar, if the electrics are original the date code on the pots would help nail the year, any close ups of the pots and control cavity? the date code is 3 digits, numbers and or letters.

·
Premium Member
5,705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
I'm not sure if it is supposed to be a custom or not. Just Mint Collection series and on back says A90xxxx January 90. This model was only made for 2 years. Both catlogues are not available online I have searched like crazy. Greco 89, or 90 and there is no such thing,

The "Mint Collection Series" with an open O Greco logo start (an O letter with the top part of the O letter removed). Most of the "Mint Collection Series" models with an open O Greco logo end in 1990. In the early 1990s most of the Greco guitars return to a closed O Greco logo but there were some open O Greco logo guitars made in the early 1990s as well.

·
Registered
12,871 Posts
In my last post, check that link with the Japanese writing.

Not so much that if it's a Custom or not, it's the headstock inlay.
Unless it's some "re-issued", by the mid '80s that wasn't available.

·
Premium Member
5,705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
@sulphur , the very first thing the OP in the link you posted says his is a 1990 open O as well and it has the diamonds

·
Premium Member
5,705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
@sulphur , the very first thing the OP in the link you posted says his is a 1990 open O as well and it has the diamonds

·
Premium Member
5,705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
2 pots have 504042 and 2 have 504047 , which are on a lot of late 80's early 90's guitars

·
Premium Member
360 Posts
If you look closely its a double split diamond, that started i believe in '89. Possibly late '88 and went to '90 or so. Non serial number'd ones were either made by Tokai or Cort (korea) for that time frame.

·
Premium Member
1,385 Posts
2 pots have 504042 and 2 have 504047 , which are on a lot of late 80's early 90's guitars
If the pots are original (and it sounds like they are) the date code is what you're looking for, it's only 3 figures - for example 8NK (November 1988) or 91K (January 1989), I think you're reading the code for Pot Model/Spec

1981 to 1991 Pot Date Codes;

Date Code, 3 characters:

Y-M-L

Year = year
M = month
L = type

Y= last digit of the year

M = 1-9, O, N and D; 1=January, 2= February, etc, O = October, N=November and D= December

L = K or P where K=normal type, P=push-pull

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.