The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,487 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This was posted as a Kijiji alert. Funny thing though, I didn't see this guitar, but the other one the guy was selling. LOL I posted the goldtop in the alerts. Anyway, I emailed the guy at lunch. He got back to me and said that he had tons of tire kickers but no takers. I went to take a look at it and it is a beauty. Resonant, lightweight and sustains nicely. After I got it home I compared it to my Japanese 57 partscaster and I think the Greco sounds better. The neck is also a wee bit thicker but not by much. I can't find my acetone. some things I've read said these might be lacquer, others say poly.

From what I can gather it is a two piece Japanese Ash body, one piece maple neck with a nice slab of rosewood. 3 way switch, 8 hole pickguard. Fujigen Gakki plant. Pu-100 pickups. Vintage style tuners

DSC_0310.JPG
DSC_0311.JPG
DSC_0313.JPG
DSC_0316.JPG
DSC_0317.JPG

·
Premium Member
4,487 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You're probably right. But I have a bottle of pure acetone around here somewhere. I'll test it when I remember where it is

Reactions: SaucyJack

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
I see a fair amount of those 380's for sale in Japan for cheap. Looking forward to hearing what you think about this in a month or so, I may just want to jump on one...or two :)

·
Premium Member
4,487 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
@sambonee I had just finished giving it the bore oil treatment. Love that stuff over lemon oil.

I had to post another pic with it's younger cousin.
DSC_0320.JPG

·
Premium Member
4,487 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I think its called Fret Doctor. A few drops on a q-tip was more than enough

·
Premium Member
4,487 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
There is one bonus to buying a Greco over a Fernandes or Tokai of the same period. I was researching which trem arm to buy for this. I almost bought an entire fernandes tremelo as it was cheaper than buying a used tremolo arm. But for shits and giggles, I took my Callaham trem arm from the surf green strat and tried it on the Greco. It fit!! It was a little tight so I went back online and did some more searching and found out something i did not know. If you want a Japanese guitar and want to buy american standard parts for it. Buy a Greco. Tokai , Fernandes and the other lawsuit companies may have copied the 57 down to the last micron but they converted to Metric. Greco on the other hand, copied the 57 strat down to the last micron using Imperial. So if you buy a 57 replica Greco, anything from you american standard should fit.

·
Premium Member
96 Posts
Congrats !! I have a '81 SE600 very similar to yours, didn't know they used imperial measurements. The neck is nitro, not sure of the body.

There should be a code in the neck pocket.

Greco SE600.JPG
Greco SE600 Neck Pocket.JPG

1 - 14 of 14 Posts