The Canadian Guitar Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Picked these up yesterday - I'd been looking for a P90 Goldtop so that one was a no brainer when one showed up locally. The second one was just because - seller had two for sale.

#1 - 2014 Gibson Les Paul Traditional Goldtop - these originally came with a Bigsby and Vibramate (which were thankfully not with the guitar) as well as the stoptail. Nice 60's neck and light back. Some minor marks on the top from the Bigsby. Gibson P90s are hard to beat IMO, but I recently picked up a set of Bare Knuckle Boot Camp "Old Guard" P90s I'll try out in this.

#2 - 2016 Gibson Les Paul Classic - pickups have been replaced with Vineham V59s and PCB removed in favour of 50's wiring. The red in the burst shows up way stronger in the camera than in person - I dislike the photos but the guitar looks great in real life.

So the answer to the question "what is the correct number of Les Pauls" appears to be - 8. But they all have different pickups, so my flimsy excuse is still safe.

Brown Musical instrument Guitar String instrument String instrument

Musical instrument Guitar String instrument String instrument String instrument accessory
Musical instrument String instrument String instrument String instrument accessory Guitar accessory
Musical instrument Guitar String instrument String instrument String instrument accessory
Plant Musical instrument Guitar String instrument Leaf

·
Premium Member
'97 Strat Plus, 70's Northern Strat Copy
1,848 Posts
On the trunk of the car no less. Not your typical subject matter for an automobile back drop but just as sexy none the less buddy.
Well done.
Different pickups is different guitars so really the question is, what other pickups you wanna try :)

·
Premium Member
3,103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
On the trunk of the car no less. Not your typical subject matter for an automobile back drop but just as sexy none the less buddy.
Well done.
Different pickups is different guitars so really the question is, what other pickups you wanna try :)
Just trying some direct sunlight to see if the camera would capture the colour correctly. I think if I had a set of Burstbucker Pros and a 335 with Gibson MHS I'd have all my bases covered.

·
Premium Member
3,103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ah so it was a sale to restock! Wise.

goldtops are great!
I had a 2018 Goldtop Classic P90 (I actually have had all three colours while looking for the Goldtop) - and oddly the black one had the most comfortable neck. The new Traditional Goldtop has a more nicely rolled edge and weights about a half pound less so it was a good replacement / upgrade of my old one.

·
Registered
Tell your prophets to pray and tell your bandits to run.
8,329 Posts
Murphy Lab, Heavy Relic, Double Gold (greenish color)

View attachment 417663
I had a chance to buy an original one of those for $1,200 back around 1980. The store owner loaned it to me and said you need to buy this guitar. I liked the guitar but only problem was that back around 1980 I didn't have $1,200.

·
Premium Member
4,544 Posts
I had a chance to buy an original one of those for $1,200 back around 1980. The store owner loaned it to me and said you need to buy this guitar. I liked the guitar but only problem was that back around 1980 I didn't have $1,200.
Similar story for me as well. A distant relative that was getting out of the music business indicated to my parents, that he would sell his guitar to me. I wanted to do it on my own and ended up with a Les Paul copy (MIJ). His guitar: a 1958 Les Paul.

·
Registered
Tell your prophets to pray and tell your bandits to run.
8,329 Posts
... ended up with a Les Paul copy (MIJ). His guitar: a 1958 Les Paul.
Yeah, I had a Pan Les Paul at the time and I'd put two Gibson mini humbuckers on it which helped a bit but that guitar wasn't much good. Looked for a Les Paul that I could afford back then but nothing. Then I had a bluegrass revelation and next day I traded my amp and a shotgun for an acoustic guitar and did that. It was 2017 before I bought another electric.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts