The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

Premium Member
Discussion Starter #1
It has been a fruitful Covid shut down. I have been reunited with the Gustavsson brand and I wonder why I ever left.
Just quickly, JG Guitars are handmade in Sweden by Johan Gustavsson. His Bluesmaster model is like a Telecaster and a Les Paul had a baby. These guitars speak to me in all ways. I love the aesthetic, I love the sound and I love the playability.
I've had a number of these and they have all could been "forever guitars" ....if I wanted them to be hahahaha.
I haven't had one for a couple of years, but earlier this Covid pause, I found myself really kicking myself for not keeping at least one of my previous JG's. So I went on a mission, sold off a bunch of guitars and enlisted the help of our extremely connected forum member @gearlovin. Carl was able to find me several options but, in the end, he gave up his own Bluesmaster that had been his main gigging guitars for over 1000 dates. the condition of the guitar reflected this and I intend (when this nightmare is over) to continue strangling this baby. This one was made in 2008. iPhone Pix are from May 5th when I met Carl to do the handoff. Thank you Carl 馃檹

Then as it happens, I had an ad on TGP with a certain guitar for sale that stated "no trades, unless you have a P-90 equipped Bluesmaster. A member offered me not just a P-90 JG but a very special one. Johan sent his first 6 production Bluesmasters to WildWood Music in Colorado. This was in 2003. Back then, a close friend of mine called me from the store and said he just played the best guitars he had ever had in his hands. That was the Bluesmasters that have become known a "The Wildwood 6". this one is the ONLY P-90 equipped JG in that special half dozen. This arrived on Tuesday.
Another incredible fiddle. Thank you Clint 馃檹 !!!

Premium Member
Pete, this is a killer pair you have there my friend.

That's specific Bluesmaster is on another level from any modern guitars I've tried.

Closest to my burst I've encoutered

Congrats and wish you the best fun with it.

Hope I would have been able to keep it.

Top 3 guitar on earth for me. :)

Envoy茅 de mon SM-G973W en utilisant Tapatalk

Premium Member
I have also taken this ride along with Pete and @v-verb ... and have owned a half dozen, I think. Really at the top of the heap. For guys like me who struggle with the LP ergonomics, the Bluesmaster can be the answer. Right now I have a Yaron Bone '59 and a 1960 ES-345 with Yaron pickups that I love, but it just doesn't get any better than the Gustavsson aesthetic IMHO... maybe someday I will re-visit these fine geetars like Pete has currently done.

Premium Member
Discussion Starter #13
They really are sweet looking. Which pups are in there? How鈥檚 the weight ?
they are about 13lbs each. Maybe one of them tips the scales in the low 14's .
The pickups are specially made for Johan by a Norwegian winder that specializes in black metal. Super chainsaw-like. I love it !!!

Premium Member
Discussion Starter #14
They really are sweet looking. Which pups are in there? How鈥檚 the weight ?
Sorry .....had to do it. 馃槑

The pickups are the original pairing that Johan chose to each guitar.
Johan used to (maybe he still does) choose pickups that suit the timbre of the guitar.
The 08' has Wolftones in it. I have not measured them but I'd say they are lowish wind, very wooden, and supremely articulate. the weight is in the low 7's.
the 03' again has the original pickups that Johan chose, Duncan Antiquities. I think they are PERFECT in this guitar. Snappy Tele-like when turned down and roar when juiced. This one comes in in the low 8's...8.2 I believe.

Premium Member
Congrats! Thanks for sharing faracaster.

Always loved the look of those guitars. Headstock design is also classy.
Re: headstock. A good example of how small aesthetic details make a difference.

If the tip of the headstock had a semi circle cut out or notch..., it would always remind me of an Epi.
IMO, JG made the right choice.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts