The Canadian Guitar Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
19,747 Posts
Congratulations!

12 gauge Chromes! Wow! I'm just trying to get used to 11 gauge Chromes.
My hands are not very strong.

Your new amp looks VERY clean. From what I understand, those Peavey 112 amps are "bullet proof".

ENJOY!

Cheers

Dave

·
Premium Member
4,001 Posts
Nice, yes, the Bandit has a great reverb.
Was the high school stock amp (& much loved)
Congrats!

Reactions: Dorian2

·
Premium Member
1,544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
12 gauge Chromes! Wow! I'm just trying to get used to 11 gauge Chromes.
My hands are not very strong.

Your new amp looks VERY clean. From what I understand, those Peavey 112 amps are "bullet proof".

Dave
The 12 gauge chromes play easily on this guitar. Action is lower than most archtops. You certainly don’t want to bend too much though!

The amp is reasonably clean. Pots aren’t scratchy, and switch, channels and reverb all work. I like it better with the GT-1 in front.

·
Registered
329 Posts
I use a "Frankenstein" version of that same teal-stripe Bandit as my practice and jamming amp. Mine is built out of a number of parts -

-the amp chassis was rescued from a dumpster, it had been turned into a bastardized head that looked like it was built from parts of a wooden skid spray-painted black. Whatever vandal did this also added 2 speaker-out jacks which resulted in blown output transistors since this model does not support low-ohm loads. 8 bucks worth of new transistors , returned it to single 8-ohm output and it is good as new.

- the cab is a silver-stripe model found sans electronics at a flea market. 20 bucks. Had to re-drill the head mounting holes as they are in different spots on the newer models, and there is a half-inch gap on either side of the chassis, but you can't really see it.

- the speaker is a Celestion GH12/90 originally from some Line 6 amp. Given to me for free since it had a 1-inch tear in the cone. Rubber cement and tissue paper fixed that.

- the reverb tank is also from a flea market, its from some Fender SS practice amp but sounds pretty good mated to the Peavey. $10.

So, for 38 bucks I have a bulletproof practice amp that also can hold its own at jams and gigs. I don't like the OD channel much, and the boost and bright switches just make it go icepick. But its a good pedal platform for most things ( it HATES Tube Screamers tho) and as mentioned can also be used as a power amp for modellers.

I don't think I would buy a new offshore one of these, but the older ones are great , last forever and can be picked up pretty cheap.

·
Premium Member
Air guitar
3,250 Posts
Sweet, I used to have a bandit many moons ago. It was my first real amp. Happy NGD :)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.