The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Administrator
15,823 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Lot's of upsets this first week of the season. My Bengals managed to sqweak one out against the Ravens last night. I will take it.

All thoughts and prayers go out to Kevin Everett of the Buffalo Bills who sustained a devastating injury on Sunday. Initial medical reports after surgery are that he will most likely never walk again.

Everett likely to be paralyzed after 'catastrophic' neck injury
Associated Press

ORCHARD PARK, N.Y. -- Kevin Everett sustained a "catastrophic" and life-threatening spinal-cord injury while trying to make a tackle during the Buffalo Bills' season opener and is unlikely to walk again, the surgeon who operated on him said Monday.

"A best-case scenario is full recovery, but not likely," orthopedic surgeon Andrew Cappuccino said. "I believe there will be some permanent neurologic deficit."

Everett was hurt Sunday after he ducked his head while tackling the Denver Broncos' Domenik Hixon during the second-half kickoff. Everett dropped face-first to the ground after his helmet hit Hixon high on the left shoulder and side of the helmet.

Cappuccino noted the 25-year-old reserve tight end did have touch sensation throughout his body and also showed signs of movement. But he cautioned that Everett's injury was life-threatening because he was still susceptible to blood clots, infection and breathing failure.

Everett is in the intensive care unit of Buffalo's Millard Fillmore Gates Hospital, where he is under sedation and breathing through a respirator as doctors wait for the swelling to lessen. Cappuccino said it will take up to three days to determine the severity of the injury and the recovery process.

Cappuccino repaired a break between the third and fourth vertebrae and also alleviated the pressure on the spinal cord. In reconstructing his spine, doctors made a bone graft and inserted a plate, held in by four screws, and also inserted two small rods, held in place by another four screws.

Doctors, however, weren't able to repair all the damage.

·
Registered
872 Posts
Thats a pretty crappy deal for Everett. Hopefully he'll be able walk again, doubt he'll ever play again though.

Oh and BOOOOOO Bengals!!!
Sorry I had to do it.
Go Broncos!!

·
Administrator
15,823 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Today they reported that there may be a miracle in the works. Everett has shown some movement in is extremeties. There is now a possiblity that he may walk again some day. he will never play football again, but that is clearly not on anyones mind right now.

Go Bengals

·
Registered
874 Posts
Hopefully Everett will be able to lead a normal life someday. As far as the season .....GO COWBOYS GO!!!! They took down the Giants first outing.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Well, GuitarsCanada, you're a great admin and all, but the Bengels are going to have their hands full this Monday Night with the eventual Super Bowl champs, the New England Patriots. If they gave up 51 points to the Browns, then imagine what Brady, Moss, Welker, Moroney, et al will do! Could be real scary. I'd keep young children and the elderly away from the TV for their own safety (unless they live here in New England, of course).

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
Hey, stem cell research had made some impressive progress in the last few years. He will most certainly walk again if he's got some movement in his extremities.

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
I guess I was wrong. :mad:
Yeah...no offense but the Bengals do not look good. Sounds like there is a lot of inner hate in that squad. But hey.....the LIONS are 3-1!!!!!!!! LOL, I know it's early (and they go to Washington next Sunday), but let me enjoy it! :food-smiley-004:

·
Registered
874 Posts
Hey.....my Cowboys are staying up there with the big boys so far....4-0 yeeeehawwww!!!!

:banana:

·
Registered
874 Posts
5-0 just barely...........very entertaining Monday Night game in Buffalo... The big test will be Sunday against New England.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Yeah, we're looking forward to this Sunday's Pats-Cowboys game. But the biggie everyone here is talking about is the Nov.4 Pats-Colts game. It's already beginning to assume mythic proportions around here, and it's still a month away!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts