The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,080 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I see this as a excellent choice for some who can advocate for science and technology education and development. Especially for getting more girls and women involved in science, technology and engineering.

Julie Payette — astronaut, computer engineer — to be Canada's next governor general

If anyone tries to turn this in a political discussion about the role of the GG, I will delete the thread. If you want to get political about the GG, go start a thread in the political forum I have as much use for politics as I do for used ass-wipe.

·
Premium Member
11,069 Posts
"Payette, who is also an accomplished athlete, pianist and choral singer..."

With all the sciencey stuff, that's enough for me.

Wow.

·
Registered
24,672 Posts
We need more geniuses in politics

Seriously
We do, but bear in mind that the role of GG is very rarely a political one. Yes, the GG can be asked to make decisions by the PM ("Can I prorogue Parliament?"), but generally the GG stays out of such decisions, and in any event does not represent any party. I'm not familiar with all of them, but there haven't been many GGs that were intellectual slouches. Even if they came in to office as less accomplished than Mme. Payette, the things one gets exposed to in that role bring you up to speed PDQ.

I think another point to consider is that persons in that role have to be willing to accept it. PM Chretien offered Jean Beliveau the job, and Beliveau - ever the gentleman - turned it down. It can be a pretty hectic schedule, so as much of an honour as it is, I'm sure some have been quietly approached and thought "Nah, too much constant travelling and dressing up for my tastes. I'm ready to just stay home. I've earned it."

·
Premium Member
605 Posts
We do, but bear in mind that the role of GG is very rarely a political one. Yes, the GG can be asked to make decisions by the PM ("Can I prorogue Parliament?"), but generally the GG stays out of such decisions, and in any event does not represent any party. I'm not familiar with all of them, but there haven't been many GGs that were intellectual slouches. Even if they came in to office as less accomplished than Mme. Payette, the things one gets exposed to in that role bring you up to speed PDQ.

I think another point to consider is that persons in that role have to be willing to accept it. PM Chretien offered Jean Beliveau the job, and Beliveau - ever the gentleman - turned it down. It can be a pretty hectic schedule, so as much of an honour as it is, I'm sure some have been quietly approached and thought "Nah, too much constant travelling and dressing up for my tastes. I'm ready to just stay home. I've earned it."
Yeah I know all that

But hiring an "active", intellectually superior candidate is much better than asking some former sports personality (ala Jacques Demers) or "business mogul" retiree. You gotta start somewhere

·
Registered
24,672 Posts
Yeah I know all that

But hiring an "active", intellectually superior candidate is much better than asking some former sports personality (ala Jacques Demers) or "business mogul" retiree. You gotta start somewhere
Oh, fully agreed. I'm just noting that, for those who treat Mme. Payette as some sort of panacea for what they believe "ails politics", they may be misinterpreting the role.

At the same time, the role of the GG is a sort of national leader, often reiterating what is important to the country, without any partisan taint. I'm sure they have speechwriters and advisors too, like anyone in a senior position. But their impact on national sense of direction should not be underestimated.

P

·
0 Posts
Oh, fully agreed. I'm just noting that, for those who treat Mme. Payette as some sort of panacea for what they believe "ails politics", they may be misinterpreting the role.

At the same time, the role of the GG is a sort of national leader, often reiterating what is important to the country, without any partisan taint. I'm sure they have speechwriters and advisors too, like anyone in a senior position. But their impact on national sense of direction should not be underestimated.
My taint is very neutral.

·
Premium Member
10,035 Posts
I keep hearing her appointment being referred to in the media as some sort of significant achievement for women, but I'm not sure I see the big deal. in my lifetime, about 50% of the GGs have been women.
I'm not criticizing her appointment or her qualifications, just that I think we may be past the whole "...this will show girls that they can accomplish anything they put their mind to..." narrative.
Id love to see rick Mercer take a poll on the street to see how many of my generation even know who the GG is (male or female).

Reactions: colchar

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
I keep hearing her appointment being referred to in the media as some sort of significant achievement for women,
Just media spin trying to make it a bigger story. Anybody remember Michaelle Jean? She was absolutely lovely.

·
Premium Member
10,035 Posts
jesus, even this one has skeletons in her closet....
PM pushed for details on Payette decision

Meanwhile, media reports surfaced late Wednesday that said Payette was also involved in a fatal accident in Maryland in July 2011, four months prior to the assault charge.

She reportedly struck and killed a pedestrian who had stepped off a curb into in front of Payette's car. The case was closed without charges in April 2012 following an eight-month police investigation.
An online background check search shows that Payette was charged with second degree assault on November, 24, 2011. The prosecutor formally dismissed the charge about two weeks later on December 8, 2011.

Reactions: colchar
1 - 20 of 23 Posts