The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,346 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I missed the Black Friday-Cyber Monday sale at Next Gen by a couple of days. But I ordered the speaker I was after anyway.

It took until today to arrive from Nepean. Usually 2 days or less. Exactly a week for Canada Post to deliver.

The WGS G8C or the Jupiter were what I was after. The Jupiter was going to cost $100 or so to get to Canada, maybe more. WGS makes the Jupiters, so maybe G8C is close enough. It was the last speaker that Next Gen had in 4 ohm, and I have been waiting long enough. Ordered.

So I installed it about an hour ago and had at it with the MIM Gilmour Stratocaster I made and the newly acquired Eric Clapton. It went into my modded 1974 Bronco.

Not even broken in, I like it immensely, and immediately better. Clean, bright, jangly, percussive, and the bass that was missing is now there. I compared it to my 1968 drip edge Vibro Champ that has a smooth cone Weber Sig 8. Cleans were always outstanding with the Vibro Champ. Overdriven could be priceless or farty.

Back to the Bronco and the new speaker. The natural overdrive was very good. The mods really sounded studio quality worthy. The Clapton guitar could tastefully push things as if a very good pedal were chosen to push the tubes.

I am satisfied. I still need to work on the Clapton Strat. It still has original 2011 strings on it, and it sounded good. The speaker is worth the money, the amp is even more of a keeper now.
A83ECBFC-4935-45F6-90A4-51A003DDFD41.jpeg
556A8C36-F122-445C-B330-850994D03712.jpeg
F858DEF0-6ACC-4031-86EA-78E4ECF57BF5.jpeg
41EBE993-25F0-45E5-A853-220B1226771E.jpeg
324CA9C7-99EC-47AD-8421-92E626F846E7.jpeg
C95888D1-AE0F-46F3-9571-7876AA2985C7.jpeg

·
Registered
349 Posts
Glad to hear you like it ... I just got the 8ohm version of that same speaker from NextGen as well!

Will be a while before I get to listen to mine as i need to build the amp for it still, but glad to hear it will hopefully sound good!

·
Premium Member
1,346 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I spent an hour today with an ABY pedal between the very stock 1968 Vibro Champ, and the 1974 modded Bronco.

The pairing of those two amps, makes a pretty big sound. With everything dialed the same on both amps, volume is near identical, and tone is very similar when playing clean. The difference shows up when the amps are pushed. The Bronco is exceptional, and the Vibro Champ with the Weber is not up to the task. When played together it sounds better.

I spent another half hour with a digital delay between the amps, utilizing the stereo outputs. Clean and light breakup was tantalizing. Using the mod setting produced an enticing chorus delay kaleidoscope of sound. Pushed, with the mods engaged, the two amps make a nice pairing.

I think that I will still be on a cost effective lookout for a Jupiter to try in both amps.

Eventually I should try the G8C in the Vibro Champ.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts