The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi. I found your site today, mainly out of frustration.

I've been a guitar playing wannabe since my teens at the start of the /Beatles era 40+ years ago but I must be dyslexic when it comes to guitar playing as nothing ever made sense.

Fast forward to about ten years ago when I thought I'd give it another shot. I went out and bought a nice Mexican Strat Plus and took up with a succession of three instructors but I got nowhere with them and quit in frustration. Sure I can play all the chords and I'm a whizz at bar chords but I just don't progress and nothing comes natural. I just love the 'blues' but I can't play even a simple blues lick to save my life.

In the last couple of weeks I got the urge again (before it's just too late!) and wondered if the computer age could jolt me into guitar stardom. I've been checking Google for guitar instruction and came up with these sites -

http://guitar-lesson-software-review.toptenreviews.com/
http://emediamusic.com/products.html
http://www.learnandmasterguitar.com/index.htm

What motivation can you guys throw at me? Am I on the right track with those website resources?

I think if I could spend time with another player without the clock and $$ hanging in the balance I could learn something but I don't know anyone who can play. Well yeah I did know a couple of guys but they weren't remotely interested when I hinted.

Hello & help!

Mike T.
Fender Strat (Mex).
Gibson Blueshawk.

·
Administrator
15,823 Posts
Welcome aboard bro, sounds like a lot of us on here, always searching for a better way. I myself use the guitar techniques and Total Guitar mags to play along with the CD's. I have no time to play out or even get together with anyone. I find these great, I can learn the songs at my own speed and then have the bacjing track to jam with.

I hope you find something and get better. Welcome again and enjoy.

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
Hey welcome to the forums.:wave:
Alot of blues is just chords...it's just the timing and the strumming
I agree with GC, get a magazine that has a CD that you can play along with. I've got a few here that are blues specials... so I'm sure that you can find a blues edition Total Guitar, or the likes.

·
Registered
737 Posts
Hey Mike; Welcome! I always found I progress more when I'm playing with other folks. Getting out there and pushing your limits builds confidence, open-jams are good, you will learn a lot. I've always found printed instructions unhelpful and I felt dyslexic too because I'm left-handed.
Other than that, I play what I hear, or I think I hear.

Have a great weekend!

·
Registered
644 Posts
Welcome aboard. I would suggest finding a friend who will sit down and play with you. I think it's one of the best ways to learn.

·
Registered
75 Posts
welcome to the site... ya, i think its better to learn with other people... thats how i learned the stuff i know so far...i was in a guitar club at school what taught you how to play there was like 30 people in it too so it was perdy cool

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
PaulS said:
Welcome aboard... :wave: learning from others is always a good thing..
Thanks! A few of you have said playing with others is the best and I agree. I think I'd learn fast that way but I don't know anyone who plays.

I just ordered the e-media Intermediate Guitar Method so I'll see how that works out.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts