The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
re: effects / straight up:
it appears the consensous is yes to effects.
I currently have a line 6 modelling amp so that is covered for effects.
I just acquired a 20W? bassman tube amp and I have a 30W National tube amp; I also have another no name tube amp in for repair (Watts to be determined) These amps just have volume and tone.Basic guitar plug in.
(I myself am struggling to get the hang of the Bass, and don't need effects ?)
however with the equipment I have acquired I need suggestions as to some basic/generic effects that should potentially be in my guitar gear collection.Quite often musician friends pop by and noodle with my stuff and ask what I have for effects. Reading the old posts has just gotten me confused as all get out.
My thoughts are :simple/user friendly/CHEAP/
Music genre is mainly classic rock & roll for my associates.
thanks in advance
cheers
RIFF

·
Registered
86 Posts
Try a chorus pedal. It's a nice way of adding a little (or a lot) or flavor to your sound.

I'm also a fan of a nice EQ pedal, in conjunction with other pedals. I love being able to adjust my sound using one of these. Check it out. Of course there may be others that you might be inclined trying out.

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Cheap but good? I'm going to say Boss... if you check used you can get them fairly cheap.

Basic effects you may want are:

- Overdrive, check out the SD-1, cheap, built to last and sounds GREAT. Hell, if Van Halen and Zakk Wylde used to use them there's definetly nothing wrong with them. I bought the Wylde Overdrive 'cause it's got a bit more gain, but it's more expensive... both sound great.

- Equalizer, once you pick your overdrive of choice to push them tubes into overdrive, might want to get an EQ to shape out your tone. Again, Boss GE-7 is fairly cheap if you find it used... usually see it for around $65.

- Chorus, really adds depth to your overdriven tone (I steal my step dad's CE-5 from time to time, haha) and it makes cleans sound FANTASTIC. Check for the Boss CE-5 or CH-1, go used for fairly cheap as well.

- Reverb, I like to add just a little bit to kind of tighten things up and add a little roomy vibe to it... not too much, then it just gets trippy, lol. This one, I've only used one pedal I think it was a Boss RV-2? I don't remember, it's my step dad's but it's pretty nice, never seen it used though so I can't really mention a price. For now I just use the reverb on my amp head.

Depending on how loud you play / many other aspects, you may need a noise gate to cut out some hum / feedback... NF-1 and NS-2 or if you want to spend more I'd go with the ISP Decimator. Then you can get into trippy modulation effects... like I like to play a lot of Van Halen, so a Flanger and Phaser were a MUST for me, I still need a delay too.

Again, depending on your style / what other stuff you like to play you might want a wah pedal... rock out some Hendrix! I saw a Dunlop JH-1 go for about $80, though I sold mine for $65 'cause I'm nice like that, lol. I like the Wylde Wah for my style of music, but the most versatile wah I've played would be the Dunlop Crybaby from Hell. Try 'em out and see what suits you best.

Anyway, those are my suggestions... hope that helped.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts