The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi everyone. like the title says i am new to guitars i bought one fri. afternoon. i have never played a insterment in my life except maybe the recorder back in public school. so any hints tips would be a help. also any good books out there i could pickup.

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
Firstly, welcome to the forums:wave:

What kind of music do you like? Is your new guitar an acoustic or an electric?

Also, a chord book would be helpful, just to learn some basic chords.

:rockon:

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
Welcome to the forum!

Give us a little info on your likes and dislikes and I'm sure you'll find the help you need.

A good chord book and lessons are the way to go for sure.

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
+1 to Xanadu. Also, you may want to look into some lessons - even just for a couple of months so you have a handle on basic chords, phrasing etc...
If you have the passion, the rest will come, but get off to a good start.

Down the road, if you start jamming with friends, remember this wise piece of advice - the bass player is the true leader of the band! :D

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
james on bass said:
+1 to Xanadu. Also, you may want to look into some lessons - even just for a couple of months so you have a handle on basic chords, phrasing etc...
If you have the passion, the rest will come, but get off to a good start.

Down the road, if you start jamming with friends, remember this wise piece of advice - the bass player is the true leader of the band! :D
you wish:sport-smiley-002: lol

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
james on bass said:
shhhh. He's new, he might believe us!
I thought you wanted him to get off on the right foot, telling him that will get him off on his left foot....:D

Welcome to the forums...:wave:

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
you're supposed to have a bass player in the band? Oh right, cause you need someone to translate for the drummer!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
hey thanks. i bought a peavey electric. i manly listen to rock from 70s to present. the shop i bought has a summer deal on lessons 8 lessons for 90.00. I think thats what they told me whats a good price for lessons

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
archer379 said:
hey thanks. i bought a peavey electric. i manly listen to rock from 70s to present. the shop i bought has a summer deal on lessons 8 lessons for 90.00. I think thats what they told me whats a good price for lessons
well when I was taking lessons, i was paying $40/hour. Well, my parents were...

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
Ripper said:
you're supposed to have a bass player in the band? Oh right, cause you need someone to translate for the drummer!
hey! drummer's arent stupid, they're just deaf. but they dont want people to know that, so they act stupid.:food-smiley-004:

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
Doesn't seem like a bad deal to me. Out here in Podunkville where I live, they charge $20 for a half hour. The other thing that works good to is try and make some connections with local players and see if they recommend teachers etc. I know a couple of the "teachers" that a local store uses are crap, so do some homework. Tell the store what kind of music you want to play and they should be able to hook you up with a teacher that will help.

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
Ripper said:
It's not so much translating as it is remembering to bring towels to wipe up the drool.

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
$90 sounds like a great deal to me, even if it is just one of the store employees.

I hear of a number of people that take lessons to learn such and such a song. Come to the lesson and say "I want to learn this song" etc...

I really feel you need to get a handle on the basics first. While it's fine for the teacher to show you how to play your favorite tune, you're far better off knowing what you are playing, not just being able to play it. That being said, there is no greater feeling for a newbie than to be able to play along with one of favorite songs.

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
I agree with you James on learning the basics, but I think a person learns quicker if they are applying those basics to something they want to play instead of forced to play. I know they are a pain, but the scales are important, cause once you have those down, the neck is your oyster (in my case that means slippery and hard to hang onto..hehehe)

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
I agree with you ripper in that one will be a lot more passionate if they are playing something they listen to at home, rather than theory in a book, but if you are going into a lesson to learn (insert favorite tune here), I think in the long run you would be much better served knowing how that piece comes together - what chords it's based on, the scales the solo is based upon etc...

Of course, when I picked up the bass, it was complete passion and learning on my own. Many years of piano, cello and voice before then.

A newbie needs to do whatever keeps them motivated. If that means a few lessons, great, if it means Royal Conservatory theory, fine. If it means hours upon hours locked in the bedroom then even better.

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
Oh for sure a person needs to know how a song is put together, chords etc and how it flows to form the song. I started playing uke when I was 4 and learned mostly by ear from an uncle who then got me into guitar and trumpet, some 4 string banjo and mandolin. When I got into school band and started learning the theory behind it, things started to make more sense. The funny thing is though, with stringed instruments I'm still an ear player.

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
yea I agree Ripper, when I first started it was by ear and a Mel Bay chord book. When I was in High School I was in the band took the theory and things did start to piece together. I did some Conservatory training for a bit then started playing in bands. Guitar is my main instrument but over the years I dabbled with the banjo, dobro and pedal steel. I would still say I play by ear because I do a lot of improv stuff but knowing the basics and theory have helped tremendously. I was asked about giving lessons one time and I said sure. The first thing they asked was how do I play Stairway to Heaven :confused-smiley-010
Needless to say I had a short career as a teacher. First student = last lesson
I think they are still trying to learn it, I'll give advice and show a few licks but teaching anymore.... not really.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Lessons to get the basics would be a great idea.
I played other instruments for 10 years before I picked up a guitar, so I understood the theory.
However, I am entirely self taught with guitar, and after 6 years I'm still learnignwhat flows with what, and basically learning scales... I don't know what scale this is, or what key its in but I can pick out by ear how things are supposed to go. I'm sure it would be easier to play if I knew why things flow together lol. But, I can follow along by ear... I can't remember how to read music anyways lol.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts