The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good Day,

I have decided to try my hand at making my own guitar. And, by "making" i actually mean i am going to start with a barebones kit and build off that, so, I understand a better chunk of all the really hard work and science is already done for me and i am not really learning the imporant fun stuff, but it is a starting point. If it turns into something i find enriching and i love it, i may attempt to do something right from scratch. Except maybe a neck. I might just not reinvent that wheel? I don't know though, i'm just dreaming at this point.

I suppose i could watch all the youtube i possible could, but i figured i'd like to ask people that do this sort of thing often, how they tackle the finishing process? As a newbie, things like where and what stuff do i need and where to go get them? What products work / worked for you, what to avoid Little things i might over look?

I also think that a bigger hurdle is that being a Canadian might also hinder finding the products that i want? True or False? I wanted a Pelham Blue top but it seems to be a hard thing to find within our borders? Do i just get creative and "make do" or do i get exactly what i want?

Also another thought i had was would it be worth my while to practice finishing skills on a just a piece of rough board first so i get a feel for how everything works? How to get a feel for what i need to do etc? or do i just say screw it and go right to town? This was something i thought of a few days after i hit the order button :( HaHa.

Anyways, i am really looking forward to this project and what potential it could hold and Looking forward to hear everyone's thoughts and opinions.

Thanks for Reading.

·
Premium Member
4,486 Posts
you can get blue dye at artdec.ca or lee valley.ca , both have reasonable shipping rates. For exotic wood there is a place in burlington called exotic woods and they have a humidified guitar woods room, lots of acoustic stuff lots of tele bodies or strat bodies there lots of big blanks of mahogany and alder ash etc...Fretboard stuff there too and neck woods as well. I get practice blanks from them

I mentioned the dyes, you may not find one called pelham blue, but I'm sure they have something close, and a lot of dyes have web pages showing how to mix and match different dyes to get a different shade. Saman is the brand I have used it is really easy to work with and you can mix and match to get exactly what you want

Click to see all SamaN wood stain & AquaShine maintenance products!

Reactions: alwaysflat

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
you can get blue dye at artdec.ca or lee valley.ca , both have reasonable shipping rates. For exotic wood there is a place in burlington called exotic woods and they have a humidified guitar woods room, lots of acoustic stuff lots of tele bodies or strat bodies there lots of big blanks of mahogany and alder ash etc...Fretboard stuff there too and neck woods as well. I get practice blanks from them

I mentioned the dyes, you may not find one called pelham blue, but I'm sure they have something close, and a lot of dyes have web pages showing how to mix and match different dyes to get a different shade. Saman is the brand I have used it is really easy to work with and you can mix and match to get exactly what you want

Click to see all SamaN wood stain & AquaShine maintenance products!
I will check out those links asap. Thanks for the info. Ideally i would like to support all canadian business and use canadian products as much as i can. This is great start.

You are refering to Burlington ontario correct?

·
Premium Member
4,486 Posts
yes, burlington Ontario, but it's one of those places you want to visit, not for mail order.

·
Premium Member
5,160 Posts
Practicing your finishes on a piece of wood is always a good idea. Specially when dealing with wood dye as has been suggested. It soaks right into the wood and makes it very hard to "start over".
Another Canadian company is Wood Essence I use their dyes and clear top coats. For your Pelham blue however you might need to mix some SamaN dyes. A blue and a white most likely.

If you want to see the grain & beauty of the wood, a dye is only way to go. This youtube explains it well I think.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Practicing your finishes on a piece of wood is always a good idea. Specially when dealing with wood dye as has been suggested. It soaks right into the wood and makes it very hard to "start over".
Another Canadian company is Wood Essence I use their dyes and clear top coats. For your Pelham blue however you might need to mix some SamaN dyes. A blue and a white most likely.

If you want to see the grain & beauty of the wood, a dye is only way to go. This youtube explains it well I think.
Wow. Fantastic video share. My thoughts were if i couldn't find the pelham blue i might stain this thing the same color as the trim in my house. Looks like dye is much more the answer to that question. I checked out all the links everyone has shared and that is also a huge help. I am guessing i will need to figure out what route i will take for colors this week / weekend.

Lincoln i see you are from Fort Sask. I spent 6 months there this year! Aside form missing my wife it wasn't a horrible stay. Very Clean and friendly. lots of great places to eat. I think the Downtown Diner was by far my favorite.

·
Premium Member
5,160 Posts
Wow. Fantastic video share. My thoughts were if i couldn't find the pelham blue i might stain this thing the same color as the trim in my house. Looks like dye is much more the answer to that question. I checked out all the links everyone has shared and that is also a huge help. I am guessing i will need to figure out what route i will take for colors this week / weekend.

Lincoln i see you are from Fort Sask. I spent 6 months there this year! Aside form missing my wife it wasn't a horrible stay. Very Clean and friendly. lots of great places to eat. I think the Downtown Diner was by far my favorite.
Ah yes, the Downtown Diner is special. It was even featured on an episode of "you must eat here". The "Atlantic Kitchen" for fish & chips is another favorite stop of ours.

If it's an ugly piece of wood, paint it or stain it. But if you're working with a nice piece of wood, use wood dye and clear coat. And don't rule out walking into the automotive paint section of your local Canadian Tire and picking out a colour you like and clear coat to match in spray bombs. It works.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I was going to make a new thread but i guess i'll just keep my build journey/ Questions/ Pictures etc. here in it's entirety

The kit showed up last week and i have the unboxing photos here.

Hopefully going to start the process this week of sanding and prepping the body and neck. I am currently sourcing and deciding on what i am going to do in terms of colors, styles etc not really in any hurry.

I went to the local lumber yard and got a 3 foot piece of basswood i am going to practice the finishing process on it so i don't ruin the guitar. Sure it was just a cheapish kit, but i don't want to botch it if i do not have to. I watched a series of videos on youtube of another guy who got a kit guitar and just went to town on it and, needless to say there was no completion video or photos of his build after a few episodes. My heart kind of broke for the guy casue he was so into it but clearly was well researched and seemed ot be really rushing the process. So that was more reinforcement that i really should practice on the wood blanks. Plus it will give me a chance to sort of play with different color schemes, laquers and finishes and stuff.

I have been looking alot at stewmac finishing products. I find they don't have a real great selection of solid color paints. but the sonic blue made it was to the the top of my list over trying to find pelham blue.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Do you have spray equipment, or will you be using rattle cans?
I dont have spray equipment no. I was just goimg to get rattle cans for the laquer and what ever color i choose to do the top. Will dye the back, sides and neck. Might even do the top of the headstock the same solid as the body top.

But to answer your question: yes, rattle cans or spray bombs or what have you for this kit. If it looks like i may do more kits or builds ill invest in spray stuff equiment most likely.

·
Premium Member
382 Posts
If you are doing a solid colour, Krylon rattle cans will be OK - they are acrylic and you can poly or lacquer over them. Or, if you want a more interesting colour (like a metallic), you can use readily available Duplicolor automotive rattle cans from Canadians Tire. Again, those are acrylic. Here is a good finishing chedule for basswood:

Zinsser BIN as a sealer (careful, this stuff is very thin and will run easily). Apply a few coats and level sand.

Automotive primer
Duplicolor comour coats - a body generally needs 2 cans. Careful about spatter with this stuff.....

Once the colour had cured for a couple days, topcoat with lacquer. I have spray equipment and have never used rattle can lacquer in a guitar..... I suspect you will need a few cans to get proper build though. After the lacquer has cured you can wet sand and polish.

·
Premium Member
1,357 Posts
^^^ you beat me to it.

If you're going to use spray cans you might try Canadian Tire's Automotive section and best match the final color you're looking for with their touch-up selection. If it's lacquer you want for the top coat, you can get Watco spray can lacquer at Home Depot. You'll have to seal the wood before you apply the color. Home Depot will also have something for that.

L

·
0 Posts
Looking at the pics, I would also suggest a solid colour
as apposed to stain/dye because of the multi piece body.
Two options to consider in regards to the binding.
If taping, make sure that's its tight and on the line.
There may be some runs that'll seep under or even wood still showing.
or, paint over and carefully/patiently scrape the paint off of the binding with a blade/razor.

Krylon rattle cans will be OK
I've used this for two guits and they are nice to spray.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for the suggestion and it echos my own thoughts. The grain pattern isn't awesome enough to be on display front and centre, so i think it will be a good choice to really kind of experience both solid color finishing and also the dyeing process as i think i will dye the back and sides. In terms of a kit guitar to get a feel for how the finishing process works this might be a wonderful one to start.

Now, on questions i have about solids paint and metallic paint finishes. Say i do my first coat and it goes on even and all that. Would most people scuff that first coat up and level sand it and do another coat as well? In my mind to get the smoothest finished product (even before the lacquer goes on) id probably do that. But does sanding and doing multiple coats of solids or metallics affect the color distribution and over all integrity of the paint? I think a solid soild color would be fine i just worry that the metallic might do weird things?

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yeah, don't scuff back the metallic paints. Wait a couple days for it to cure, give it a wipe with some alcohol and carry on.
Does it build up nicely? Or does it take on any uneven characteristics worthy of concern?

I am honestly thinking if ditching the Pelham blue type color for a solid vintage color like frost blue or sonic blue. Might be a better jumping off point haha.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Sweet!! Guys those looks awesome! thanks for the shares and the tips. I think i got it in my head a rough idea of how to go about tackling this. thanks so much!!!

That is a beauitful red color Ayr. Looks alot like fenders candy apple red with a bit of sparkle in it. I Really like that!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts