The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
697 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Dean Markley 15x little cheapo amp which I really hate and want to replace. It sounds terrible and I need something that sounds a little more crisp.

Anyone know what kind of amp I should look at? My price range is sort of low since I'm only 14.

I'd go between 150-250 dollars.

Thanks for any suggestions you might have.
(I'm ganna check a few stores in and around Moncton if that helps any residents)

·
Registered
283 Posts
whatever you do, don't really look at how cheap an amp is and how many watts it is. try to find a small tube amp. I've gone through a bunch of different amps(now im 18 years old). my first amps were solid state and i was never happy with them. finally I have a valve amp and wish I had just bought one when I started playing with other musicians. chances are, if you're 14 you may not be playing in a band so don't be worried about how many watts the amp is. Just find something that sounds good, has a range of volume and features you're looking for.

·
Registered
596 Posts
Are you jamming with other players or just learning to play guitar by yourself at home? If it's the latter, I wouldn't buy an amp at all. Instead I'd get something like this:

http://www.behringer.com/V-AMP2/index.cfm?lang=ENG

I wish this technology existed when I first started playing. For $100 you get a whackload of modeled amps, distortions, effects, tuner, etc. Perfect for headphones or plug into a boombox or home stereo - or computer soundcard to play around with recording. Of course you can plug it into the front of an amp too.

Later on, when you're playing in a band, etc, you'll need a good tube amp but for now I say this is the ONLY way to go.

·
Registered
3,310 Posts
If you want a tube amp, look into the Epiphone Valve Junior. Great little amp but it won't do metal and it won't get distorted until it is pretty loud; if you cannot be loud don't buy a tube amp (even small ones are still loud).

Check out the Vox DA5. It's a small modeling amp that sounds great and it cheap. Check out my other post for a review.

TG

·
Registered
874 Posts
The Roland Cube series is always a good reliable choice.

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
back a number of years ago before I could afford a tube amp (and didnt need anything louder) I played through one of the small 10 watt solid state marshalls. Yes, they are not that bad, and I think I bought mine for well under $100 C brand new in the box (off some guy).

AJC

·
Premium Member
13,031 Posts
ajcoholic said:
back a number of years ago before I could afford a tube amp (and didnt need anything louder) I played through one of the small 10 watt solid state marshalls. Yes, they are not that bad, and I think I bought mine for well under $100 C brand new in the box (off some guy).

AJC
I have the Marshall MG15CD. Basic SS practice amp. Not really that good. The Vox Pathfinder 15R is at least 5x better to my ear.

·
Registered
3,310 Posts
That is a good choice too. Can you get one of those for $250 Cdn?

Hey Luke98, what kind of music do you play? Are you playing with our people or just alone? Is volume a concern or a necessity? It's hard to make a recommendation without a bit more info.

Jeff Flowerday said:
I say get a used Fender Pro Jr.

You can find one in the upper end of your budget, and it will last you a lifetime. Great little amp for the money.

·
Registered
697 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
I Play with friends sometimes, but play alone mostly. Volumes kind of an issue since I tend to play at night in my room when I'm home.

My friend has A fender Pro and I love it so i'm definately going to check out the fender pro jr.

Thanks for the suggestion Robboman, but I already have a very expensive pedal with like a billion different settings on loan :).

Thanks everyone.

I play every genre of music, from country to a bit of metal if i feel like it, so A more versitile amp is best. I'm not worried about distortion and overdrive settings though, because, as I said, I have an amazing pedal.

·
Registered
3,274 Posts
traynor_garnet said:
That is a good choice too. Can you get one of those for $250 Cdn?

Hey Luke98, what kind of music do you play? Are you playing with our people or just alone? Is volume a concern or a necessity? It's hard to make a recommendation without a bit more info.
Used you might find one for $250.

·
Registered
5,740 Posts
Robert1950 said:
I have the Marshall MG15CD. Basic SS practice amp. Not really that good. The Vox Pathfinder 15R is at least 5x better to my ear.
...i agree, this is an excellent choice.

or, for more bells and whistles, a vox modelling amp.

-dh

·
Registered
272 Posts
Tarl said:
The Roland Cube series is always a good reliable choice.
+1 on the Cubes - the ugly old orange ones can occasionally be found for super cheap and they are real workhorses. If not, the new ones work well and have some nice features.

·
Registered
697 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
So far on my list of amps to look for and try I have;

the Fender Pro Jr

Vox Pathfinder 15R

Spider II's

Any other advice and what prices I should look for to not be ripped off?

·
Registered
5,740 Posts
Luke98 said:
So far on my list of amps to look for and try I have;
the Fender Pro Jr
Vox Pathfinder 15R
Spider II's
Any other advice and what prices I should look for to not be ripped off?

...good choices! don't forget the vox da15. i find long & mcquades prices are very difficult to beat, except perhaps in urban areas where there is plenty of competition. take a look at harmony central reviews to see what others have paid, especially in canada.

choose the pro jr (tubes, no reverb) or pathfinder if you want pure tone. choose the line six or da15 if you want built-in effects and amp models.

-dh

·
Registered
2,665 Posts
"You can believe me, because I never lie!"

Jeff Flowerday said:
I don't know about that...

Agreed! This guy comes from the Jim Baker/Tammy Fay school of self-promotion.

He's a self-appointed authority. He does have a lot of knowledge but he seems to always imply that he's one of the ONLY authorities! What's more, if you poke around his site you find that he always gives great reviews to stuff HE sells or stuff sold by HIS business network.

He also loves to threaten lawsuits against anyone who disagrees with him who's a business competitor. Only if they are too small to afford much of a fight, of course.

He threatened to sue a domestic Canadian competitor. Like many Americans he hadn't considered that it's a lot more complicated to sue someone in a different country. American law doesn't apply here.

My advice is to always pay attention to the source. Follow the money and it will tell you who's biased and who has no agenda.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Honestly, the perfect amp for you is a Roland Cube - Get either the cube 15 or Cube 30. It is the best practice amp you can buy and sounds better than any other amp in it's class. It comes with 4 of the most necessary guitar tones and also has built in delay, reverb and other effects.

I have a microcube which sits next to my computer - At very low volumes it sounds better then some tube amps. PERFECT for a young guy getting his start - Or in my case, an old guy still kickin'!!!

·
Registered
697 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks everyone, I was at music stop today and looked for a few amps that you mentioned, but the only ones they had were the roland cube's, which I'd rather look at other things first, since I'm not really looking for effects, I just want a standard distortion and a crisp clean sound.

I'm ganna check out that link Brian.
EDIT: I think it sold, somebody already said they'd buy it.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts