The Canadian Guitar Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm newborn in recording, but gonna do it anyway. Lol.

When recording my guitar amp.
Can Reaper record BOTH a mic'd cabinet and the emulated output at the same time.

I have aquired a Scarlett 2i2 and was going to use both inputs to separate tracks to record a doubled guitar track

I may need to re-watch the YouTube tutorial again

Advice?

·
Premium Member
3,806 Posts
Technically, a doubled track is a second performance not a capture of the same performance. Don't mean to nitpick so much as let you know to avoid confusion in the future.

The Scarlet just has the 2 mic/line inputs so that's fine for the 2 mics (or mic + DI/line out from amp). I am a little unclear on where the emulated output is coming from; explain what you are doing there and we can possibly get you some answers.

·
Premium Member
494 Posts
It would be quicker for you to just record a single track at a time and probably sounding better as the small differences in the performances can really give you a really big sound. Recording 2 tracks at the same time just adds gain/ volume IMHO.

·
Registered
1,942 Posts
Taking separate signals and tracking individually is SOP, and easily done in any DAW. You may need to time align the two tracks to keep them in phase.

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So I've been burning my retina's out watching tutorials on REAPER on YouTube.
I've discovered I can do this shit!!! Yay me!

I've gotten one song fully recorded, mixed and then looking into Mastering tutorials right now.

What I've re-discovered or rather confirmed what I've been hearing from the "Experts on YouTube"; and that is; Modeling devices suck (at least the ones I own) in home recording situations. They're good to go live, but recording them really brings out their shortcomings.

Your Tone is in your microphone. The olde sm57 doesn't always get the best recorded tone.
I've discovered a Condenser Mic works better.

Hopefully I'll be able to get some of the finished stuff up on YouTube within the next 3 or 4 months

·
Registered
1,942 Posts

I've gotten one song fully recorded, mixed and then looking into Mastering tutorials right now.

What I've re-discovered or rather confirmed what I've been hearing from the "Experts on YouTube"; and that is; Modeling devices suck (at least the ones I own) in home recording situations. They're good to go live, but recording them really brings out their shortcomings.

Your Tone is in your microphone. The olde sm57 doesn't always get the best recorded tone.

Hopefully I'll be able to get some of the finished stuff up on YouTube within the next 3 or 4 months

Don't believe everything you see/hear/read on the internet....lol

Once you get the tone you like from your amp/speaker/modeller, the microphone can make some difference. The room you record in and placement of the mic can be a bigger influence. It is good to experiment, but there is rarely a magic bullet that changes everything, more likely small increments of many other items coming together to get you the final result you want.

EQ, compression and delay are the tools in the DAW that can really have a huge influence on the recorded product.

·
Registered
2,801 Posts

I think you're hearing it backwards. Modelling devices are mainly used for recording not live. Some people use them live but definitely the minority. Way more people use them for recording.

Personally i find modelling software sounds so good I sold my amp as it was just gathering dust.

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I've tried the methods recommended by Digitech tech support.
Direct via usb, and XLR out to my recording interface.
I can hear digital artifacts in the recording, sounds bereft of personality. It really comes out when changing from my PC speakers to a Powered PA speaker I took from my DJ system and use as a monitor.
Where the Tube and Transtube amps I have (Valve king and Envoy) Still retain their "Life" when using a Condenser mic with a figure 8 pattern placed about 3 feet from the amp speaker.

Even the Valve King (which sounds awesome) I bought specifically because it had USB out, and LINE out for direct recording and mixing console output, it sounds digi-fuzzy when recording into Reaper.

So I've been watching tutorials on mic placement and decided to try a condenser mic with a figure 8 pattern last week, and loved the result.
This is the Mic that I like (So far):
ART Pro Audio - Multi-Pattern Side Address Studio Condenser w/Pad & Roll Off

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.