The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so I spent a couple hours guitar shopping today and figured out that I don't like the feel of Les Pauls but am quite at home with something more like a Strat. I've got it narrowed down between a few choices.

Amps:
-Roland Micro Cube (~$160)
-Fender 20w (~$130)

Guitars
-Mexican Fender Fat Strat, (~$450)
-Godin Freeway Classic (~$550)
-G&L, a Legacy model with 2 singles and a humbucker (~$570)
In a perfect world, a Godin Velocity, but at ~$850 it's a little high for a newbie guitar. But it sure was nice.

I like the Hendrix/Clapton sound of the Fender, but the Godin or
G&L seem to be a better quality. The Godin seems to have great versatility because of it's pickup arrangement, and the G&L seems to be more like a Strat, just nicer. The store with the Godins and G&L was a little more helpful as well. Whatcha think?

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
Tough question to answer. Impossible to do so objectively. I just scored a MIM Tele via Craiglist and I'm very impressed with it, so on the one hand I'd say maybe the Mexi fat Strat is a good choice for tonal variation alone. However, I own a couple of Godins and for versatility I'd put my Exit 22 up against most Fenders any day. But it's a short scale instrument and maybe you're looking for long... I dunno. I am very impressed by Godin's commitment to quality. I've never picked up a Godin guitar that didn't feel promising. Can't say the same for Fender guitars. But of course they do make a lot of keepers.

Again, as has been suggested here before, go for the gut. Pick each one up again and play 'em with your eyes closed. What feels most like a natural fit? What feels most like you could grow with it? Unscientific and very un-technical, I know - but it's what I would do.

As for amps, can't help you there. I'd be concentrating on the guitar first - one thing at a time kinda thing. In your case, either choice sounds good because it's a relatively minimal investment and you can always upgrade to something more substantial in the future.

In any case, good luck and let us know what you finally go with!

·
Registered
874 Posts
Godin + Roland = nice setup

:rockon:

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
I totally agree with Maxer. Do what he says. You are the one that has to feel right about this decision. I'm confident that you have what it takes to choose the one for you now. We can't help you much more.
This is personal time between you and your new guitar.
Let us know what you choose.

I'm not too worried about the amp. Just goof around with them both, and see which one seems to be more fun for you. You'll probably be making some big amp decisions down the road anyways. This one is just your practice amp and the one that will tide you over until you can't resist the lure of tube universe any longer. (sorry just ignore me). But let us know what you choose.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I would be looking at the MIM Strat for a few reasons.

1.Best value for the buck IMO.
2.First impression can be tainted because of setup. In my experience MIM Fenders, 7 times out of 10, aren't properly setup and are 10x the guitar after a proper setup.
3.Great for modding. Farther up the road you can turn it into a top notch guitar by replacing just about any component on it easily with genuine Fender parts or liscensed by Fender parts dealers.

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
Good point about setups and how that can dramatically improve the guitar's ease of playability.

If you wanted to spend the least money for the most guitar, I'd say the MIM Strat too, or possibly a Godin. If however you could afford a tad more to spend I'd seriously be putting up the MexiStrat up against a whole range of Godins... I'd be looking at more than just the Freeway Classic.

On the other hand, if money was super tight, I'd be inclined to revise my list and include some choices where the guitars are made overseas... Rondo, Vintage, etc.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Ya Maxtor right on. Look at some other alternatives.

Everyone will probably laugh at me but have a look at some Cort guitars. They no longer deserve the the bad press they got in the 80's early 90's. Great guitars.

Actaully I purchased a G290, sorta like a super strat with active EMG SA pickup system. This guitar absolutely rocks and screams quaility quality. Even with the active pickups it sounds as rich and quacky as the single coils on a Fender Strat minus the hum. Love it. Love it. Don't let the guitar snobs rule your world.

The G290 cost my $500 think the MSRV is $1200

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Oooh! I got a Cort Acoustic guitar a few years ago. I was really unaware that they did electrics. I know there is good value to be had in Cort. A bad reputation in the past means good value for us now until people catch on that they are now in to quality. I'll definitely look into Cort for a second electric. Thanks for the tip Telenator!

·
Registered
1,909 Posts
have you looked at the used market? You might find an American Strat in that price range.

·
Premium Member
16,942 Posts
if you get a used cube, i dont think it'll run you $160 which frees up a little more $$ for the guitar

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'm really leaning to the Fender right now, but may opt for the G&L. I want something that sounds like, or is a Stratocaster. As some of you pointed out, I should get what I really want.

The advantage to the G&L, is that the place that sells it has a deal where for $190 you get a Micro Cube, gig bag, picks, strap, and has great customer service.

Anyone know how a G&L would compare to a Strat (they have the same pick-up arrangement)?

·
Banned
5,368 Posts
I'm really leaning to the Fender right now, but may opt for the G&L. I want something that sounds like, or is a Stratocaster. As some of you pointed out, I should get what I really want.

The advantage to the G&L, is that the place that sells it has a deal where for $190 you get a Micro Cube, gig bag, picks, strap, and has great customer service.

Anyone know how a G&L would compare to a Strat (they have the same pick-up arrangement)?
G&L have loosy pups on the low-end korean ones, you'll need to change those to get them to actually sound anything like a real strat, consider adding 225$ to the G&L one, and you've got a strat..:) :rockon2:

·
Registered
3,833 Posts
Is the G&L a tribute model? I assume it is if that's a new price? If its not a Tribute, but a used American G&L, then I guarantee thats its a way better quality guitar than the Mexican Fender. I've even been impressed by the Tribute G&Ls - all the ones I've played have felt far nicer than the Mexican Fenders I've tried. Of course, theres "lemons" in every maunfacturers guitars, so you may be better to go with what you're gut says - which one feels best? I wouldn't worry about choosing one over the other based on one having better pickups etc. Just play them all, and take home the one which you cant put down.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

·
Banned
1,195 Posts
the g&l tribute guitars are great. and the pickups are fine. i'd suggest going with the g&l, all things being equal, but i feel i should mention that their bridges cannot be setup to work "down only", which i generall tell my students to do at first. if you play pretty well by now, it's a great guitar, but if you don't, then i'd say you're better off with the fender or the godin.

we live in the new golden age of guitars. any of the brands you've mentioned (and cort) will be a finely made guitar, you almost can't go wrong these days, in many ways. you should see some of the POS guitars we had when i was your age (and walking 4 miles to school, through 8 feet of snow, uphill.. both ways)

·
Banned
5,368 Posts
thing is, under 1400$, G&L Guitare are cheap as hell compared to even a mexican fender, the nice one i mean. the regular G&L ones are made in korean with ship pups, hardware and wood.

i,ve spent 3 hrs at the local shop with 2 other guys they were trying to sell us a GL because they lost the fender line so they got G&L, but they still had a few MIA and MIM strat, and i would have taken ANY strat over a G&L, non sounded like a strat should..:)

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
we live in the new golden age of guitars. any of the brands you've mentioned (and cort) will be a finely made guitar, you almost can't go wrong these days, in many ways. you should see some of the POS guitars we had when i was your age (and walking 4 miles to school, through 8 feet of snow, uphill.. both ways)
I'm from Manitoba, I'm used to going through 8ft of snow. :wink:

So it looks like it's Mexican Strat vs. Godin Freeway Classic. Both seem like great guitars, both felt good, and from staff demonstrations both sounded good. I might as well flip a coin now.

Folks have been very helpful around here, I really do appreciate all the help.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts