1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,597 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Folks
My son just ordered a bunch of supposedly compatible parts to put together a
new computer.
I should have no problem in the assembly of the computer tower.

What I don't know is how can I get a fresh Windows 10 install loaded.
Apparently , this new tower has no CD Rom drive. ( seems like they are old school)
I will obviously have plenty of USB inputs.

any help would be appreciated.
G.

·
Registered
6,942 Posts
I'm kind of old-fashioned about this stuff; I buy the software we need.

If you're the same, you'll find when you buy it that it now comes on a USB drive, not a DVD. Just stick the drive in a USB port on the computer and it gets recognized on startup and boots into the Windows install. Easy peasy to start, and if your son's parts are all compatible parts from leading manufacturers the rest of the install will usually be almost as easy.

I was disappointed and frustrated with Windows 10 for quite a while - wanted to return to Windows 7 but we couldn't - but I would now say it's settled down and is fairly easy to use and manage.

·
Premium Member
4,747 Posts
you need RUFUS. plug a USB stick into your computer and follow the instructions. It will turn your stick into a bootable USB drive which will install the program. Rufus is freeware

·
Premium Member
4,039 Posts
I'm kind of old-fashioned about this stuff; I buy the software we need.

If you're the same, you'll find when you buy it that it now comes on a USB drive, not a DVD. Just stick the drive in a USB port on the computer and it gets recognized on startup and boots into the Windows install. Easy peasy to start, and if your son's parts are all compatible parts from leading manufacturers the rest of the install will usually be almost as easy.

I was disappointed and frustrated with Windows 10 for quite a while - wanted to return to Windows 7 but we couldn't - but I would now say it's settled down and is fairly easy to use and manage.
You bought Windows 10? Mine just showed up on my computer one day.

·
Registered
5,953 Posts
Hi Folks
My son just ordered a bunch of supposedly compatible parts to put together a
new computer.
I should have no problem in the assembly of the computer tower.

Apparently , this new tower has no CD Rom drive. ( seems like they are old school)
I will obviously have plenty of USB inputs.

any help would be appreciated.
G.
Actually having a CD ROM in a computer is old school. As was said previously RUFUS is the way to go. As I work in IT I carry bootable USB sticks with me all the time for all the Windows versions made with RUFUS.

·
Registered
5,953 Posts
Yes it was offered for free for a limited time as an upgrade. What few people know is that once your computer has been upgraded it leaves a an image of the windows 10 OS called install.esd. You can create an ISO image from install.esd using ESD Decryptor. Then you can upgrade any computers that weren't upgraded when the free upgrade was offered. It can also be used to do a fresh install and you can use a Windows 7 product key to activate it once Windows 10 is installed.

·
Registered
6,942 Posts
The OP asked how to do a new install without a DVD drive. He can't upgrade Windows if he doesn't have Windows on his computer.

Why didn't we just upgrade like you? We changed the motherboards in some systems and then discovered that the new Asus motherboards would not install Windows 7. Something in the BIOS didn't support booting into a Win7 installation, and while there was a workaround it wouldn't work for us so we bought copies of Win10 to build those systems.

However we've purchased more copies since and new-installed them on the rest of our existing systems rather than let them upgrade themselves. Why?

Prior to those first hardware-forced purchases we had allowed one non-critical system to upgrade itself from 7 to 10, like yours. It was the early days of Win10 but it had many time-killing issues. While I'd guess that upgraded systems are better now, after that experience (and after seeing many reports of grief on the web) I decided that we'd new-install Win10 on systems rather than upgrade them from Win7.

It's all working pretty well now, but the transition didn't make us love Microsoft any more.

·
Premium Member
4,039 Posts
Sorry, I get it now.

I was pissed when my laptop automatically upgraded and hated Windows 10 at first but I've gotten used to it. My desktop machine didn't upgrade (I think I had auto turned off) and now I hate going back and forth between the two. I wish they were both 10. :(

·
Premium Member
2,597 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
myWindows 10 was a freee download also
you need RUFUS. plug a USB stick into your computer and follow the instructions. It will turn your stick into a bootable USB drive which will install the program. Rufus is freeware
just for fun, I did the RUFUS thing and made a bootable USB key..
worked great BUT.... where have all my DOS commands gone to.... scary moments trying to remember even the most basic ones.

anyone remember the most amazing DOS command ever
prompt = $p$g
this was a life saver.

Dont have the components yet but I'm sure once its set up I'll have plenty of more questions.
G.

·
Premium Member
17,876 Posts
Is this new computer for you or one of your sons?
If it is for you, maybe you could buy me lunch and we can celebrate?

·
Premium Member
10,478 Posts
ugh win 10.
that's one move I regret.

·
Premium Member
2,597 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Is this new computer for you or one of your sons?
If it is for you, maybe you could buy me lunch and we can celebrate?
My son ( the gamer) ordered this stuff and it should be here next week sometime.
Lunch on Tuesday is on me....but you will have to drive.
G.

·
Premium Member
17,876 Posts
My son ( the gamer) ordered this stuff and it should be here next week sometime.
Lunch on Tuesday is on me....but you will have to drive.
G.
I was just teasing about lunch.

Congrats to your son..let the (fastest) games begin!

·
Premium Member
4,747 Posts
There is a command window to do DOS stuff

·
Premium Member
2,597 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
just a little update.
Worked on the project with my son Monday night..
at this point we installed the processor, memory, and a real funky tall heat sink.
Motherboard all done and ready to be placed in the case.
pic is the proof
G.
dave motherboard1.jpg

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
That is some fancy RAM. My daughter had the same heatsink in her last computer. Ran for 5 years no problems. Was one of the best passive fans you could get. Likely still is. Just remember to blow it out occasionally. You can even attach another fan on the other side.

·
Premium Member
2,597 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
first of all I have to say that my son ordered all the parts...
I'm convinced that the memory sticks came right out of the Star Trek spaceship.
AS for another fan on the heat sink...all I can say is that by the time its all set up the unit should have about 7 fans in total.
I am a little concerned that this computer may cause small tornadoes in the house that I will have to deal with.
BY the way...I have held the video card in my hands and its about the same size as my car.
G.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts