The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone!

I recently stumbled upon this website while looking up information on stainless steel fretted guitars. Looks like a nice community so I decided to join!

I'm a long time metal player of a bout 12 years and have recently found fun in streaming the game Rocksmith 2014 on twitch.tv!

If anyone has questions about the game or the custom tracks I'd be happy to assist! Looking forward to chatting with all of you.

·
Premium Member
2,512 Posts
Welcome! I am determined to get up and running (finally) with Rocksmith 2014 over the holidays, hopefully on my PC. I'll look forward to chatting about it with you and other interested members.

·
Registered
492 Posts
Ok. I've bit my tongue. But I have to ask. What's with new users pushing Rocksmith? It wouldn't be people connected to the company and the timing would have nothing to do with Christmas coming soon right?

·
Administrator
440 Posts
The other guy just likes Rocksmith. This guy isn't connected to the company, he is just pushing his youtube/twitch channel like everyone else these days. If you're good at it, you make a lot of money.

·
Premium Member
2,512 Posts
Ok. I've bit my tongue. But I have to ask. What's with new users pushing Rocksmith? It wouldn't be people connected to the company and the timing would have nothing to do with Christmas coming soon right?
Yeah...that three-year-old game is getting a marketing push via forum signups :D

·
Premium Member
8,556 Posts
Jeesuuus, Hammett's solos are sooo shit.

Anyway, I still have a hard time understanding what I'm looking at. I feel I'm not seeing the full tv or something. Maybe I'm just too old.

·
Registered
61 Posts
No offense, and I know i'm new here, but keep on biting...lol.. No , I don't work for the company...lol.. I'm 51 years old, and 2 years ago, i'd never touched a guitar in my life. 2 years later I own a bunch, and a couple of basses, and have enjoyed every minute of playing , all because of rocksmith. I tried youtube and justinguitar and was bored outta my freakin tree. Rocksmith made it fun, and for me and others, keeps it fun. I'm not planning on playing on stage or in a band, but I sure as heck don't mind letting others know how awesome this is! Playedalong with AIC for 2 hours tonight, and it felt awesome even though i'm a complete hack! Its just another means of enjoying your instruments. Newbies use it, and others stream it on twitch. The 2nd version has been out since 2014, its not 'new for Christmas '...lol ..its just plain fun... and feel free to ignore any rocksmith talk if its discussion doesn't interest you.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Hello everyone!

I recently stumbled upon this website while looking up information on stainless steel fretted guitars. Looks like a nice community so I decided to join!

I'm a long time metal player of a bout 12 years and have recently found fun in streaming the game Rocksmith 2014 on twitch.tv!

If anyone has questions about the game or the custom tracks I'd be happy to assist! Looking forward to chatting with all of you.

Hey dude, I've seen you on twitch last weekend, and requested a song, but I think there were 15-20 requests ahead of me so I bailed. I didn't realize you were Canadian. One thing I enjoy about the twitch streamers from around the world, is I like introducing them to songs from The Hip or Triumph, or other Canadian bands they've never heard of... keep on rocking bud!!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm just a guy trying to say hi to the forums while simultaneously sharing a YouTube of my Twitch channel. It's a big jump to assume I am affiliated with the game and trying to secretly push it to people in a small forum like this.

Actually, I play unlicensed/custom tracks that are extremely frowned upon by the publishing company as these have gotten them in trouble in the past.

Anyways, thanks for the (somewhat) warm welcome.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Jeesuuus, Hammett's solos are sooo shit.

Anyway, I still have a hard time understanding what I'm looking at. I feel I'm not seeing the full tv or something. Maybe I'm just too old.
You're looking at me sitting in a chair, reading the chart and playing the song guitar hero style, but on a real guitar (or at least doing my best to)

·
Registered
1,602 Posts
I think what @adcandour is getting at is that he isn't sure how the game is supposed to help him play guitar better...it's a bunch of numbers/lines that come flying at you in a hurry. The Guitar Hero generation likely has a better grasp on the format, though.

And don't worry about the "warm welcome"...stick around and contribute to discussions and the skeptics will warm up.

Welcome!

·
Premium Member
8,556 Posts
I think what @adcandour is getting at is that he isn't sure how the game is supposed to help him play guitar better...it's a bunch of numbers/lines that come flying at you in a hurry. The Guitar Hero generation likely has a better grasp on the format, though.

And don't worry about the "warm welcome"...stick around and contribute to discussions and the skeptics will warm up.

Welcome!
I actually don't understand what I'm looking at.

I just took another look - and focused this time.

So the strings run off into the distance and numbers a la tablature scroll down the strings. I think I got it.

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
Well a truck load of info to my aging brain, and I am afraid ther are too many notes for a retired newbie to fingerstyle.
Geee ! Man ! where did you find that speed maxhine in your forearms to connect your fingers ? lol !
Interesting though !
Thanks for sharing !

·
Premium Member
2,512 Posts

So the strings run off into the distance and numbers a la tablature scroll down the strings. I think I got it.
The coloured lines at the bottom represent your strings and the coloured squares coming down the "runway" show you which notes are coming next and which frets. The lines running off into the distance also show you the fret positions where the notes are coming. If you are used to reading tab, you can also set it up so your bottom string is at the bottom, as opposed to a reflection facing you (that's what I did when I played it).

·
Registered
9,503 Posts
I love Guitar Hero but quickly gave up on Rocksmith. I used spend hours daily playing Guitar Hero. However I lacked the motivation to play Rocksmith. I got bored out of my mind with it and decided I would rather spend my time IRL with a teacher learning! There were things that I wanted to know that Rocksmith could never teach me. That's when I knew I was getting serious about playing guitar.

·
Registered
61 Posts

also important to note, is that he has the song set to 100%, meaning he's getting ALL the notes and chords at 100% speed. At the top are a bunch of squares, that are chunks or sections of the song. Usually you can break the song down into any chunks you want, go into an option called Riff Repeater, and slow down the speed and practice that chunk on a loop, and have it automatically adjust the speed after each loop. Also in Learn a song mode the game wont start you at 100% notes unless you override it to max. I started as a noob with a note here, and a note there,which if you're correctly hitting them , in time, it will start adding notes. the second or third time through the song, the individual notes, will start to become partial chords etc... until eventually you'll be playing the chords and strumming etc and the game will now transfer that skill level to other songs , so that you're not always starting each song with only a few notes... it basicall levels you up and designates you a 'sightreading' skill level, and then applies that level to the first time you run through a new song... But as I said , it's awesome for just breaking songs down into chunks and learning parts that are giving you trouble. I'm still a complete hack with a guitar, and solos are beynd my fingers speed skills, but my buddy who has been playing guitar for 15 years, picked up the game after seeing how fluently I was getting back and forth across the neck. He said after playing it for a few months his speed around the fret board has increased a lot. It's a game and a tool and its fun, but its by no means a be-all and end-all to learning guitar. I totally recommendd lessons and Justin guitar and anything else to keep learning, and the game doesn't teach music theory much at all. 2 years later , I love strapping on a guitar, but I still have zero music theory, and am too nervous to even attempt to set up my guitars properly...lol So much to learn , but I'm having a blast learning!!I now feel guitar will be a part of me for the rest of my life.... rock on people !!

·
Registered
61 Posts
I love Guitar Hero but quickly gave up on Rocksmith. I used spend hours daily playing Guitar Hero. However I lacked the motivation to play Rocksmith. I got bored out of my mind with it and decided I would rather spend my time IRL with a teacher learning! There were things that I wanted to know that Rocksmith could never teach me. That's when I knew I was getting serious about playing guitar.
That's awesome! I've played over 800 hours now of rocksmith. That's 800 + hours with my fingers on a fretboard. Hacked away at over 1000 songs on lead and rhythm and bass, and sure could never afford 800 hours of lessons. I am however looking for a teacher to help me smooth out some things, and correct some things. It depends on what each person's goals are , I guess. If I wanted to get serious and do the band or stage thing, then i'd definitely need some lessons, but i'm more of a play along to songs in my basement on the weekend kinda guy, just happy to have a guitar on and enjying learning something new at the age of 51, that is sooo much fun. Any comparisons to guitar hero though are irrelevant. Guitar Hero is a plastic guitar with plastic buttons. Rocksmith , is your REAL instrument , whether its a $200 Epiphone Junior or a $4000 Gibson, or a bass and a special guitar cable, actually playing or learning to play real songs on a real instrument. I understand people's hesitance to accept a 'game ' for learning, but it is way more than a game. They do have Arcade style games within it, to help learn scales, build fretting speed, and work on chord changes though, such as shooting zombies running at you , while playing the correct chord...lol or score attack to improve your exact timing.. I say anything that keeps you wanting to strap on a guitar and learn is a good thing, whether its rocksmith, a teacher, youtube, or whatever, to eac his own, and rock on everyone !!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I'll have to also say that I did not learn guitar with Rocksmith, I've played for over 12 years learning on my own. Rocksmith has given me motivation to practice more and play different styles of music. After I put in the time to be able to play songs on sight, its been pretty fun and has kept my chops up to snuff.

I do think the game can be good for beginners learning as it gives achievement based challenges to keep people interested. Although, I have seen people learn completely from Rocksmith have some really bad habits and sloppy playing as the game is sometimes pretty liberal with note registration.

·
Registered
9,503 Posts
That's awesome! I've played over 800 hours now of rocksmith. That's 800 + hours with my fingers on a fretboard. Hacked away at over 1000 songs on lead and rhythm and bass, and sure could never afford 800 hours of lessons. I am however looking for a teacher to help me smooth out some things, and correct some things. It depends on what each person's goals are , I guess. If I wanted to get serious and do the band or stage thing, then i'd definitely need some lessons, but i'm more of a play along to songs in my basement on the weekend kinda guy, just happy to have a guitar on and enjying learning something new at the age of 51, that is sooo much fun. Any comparisons to guitar hero though are irrelevant. Guitar Hero is a plastic guitar with plastic buttons. Rocksmith , is your REAL instrument , whether its a $200 Epiphone Junior or a $4000 Gibson, or a bass and a special guitar cable, actually playing or learning to play real songs on a real instrument. I understand people's hesitance to accept a 'game ' for learning, but it is way more than a game. They do have Arcade style games within it, to help learn scales, build fretting speed, and work on chord changes though, such as shooting zombies running at you , while playing the correct chord...lol or score attack to improve your exact timing.. I say anything that keeps you wanting to strap on a guitar and learn is a good thing, whether its rocksmith, a teacher, youtube, or whatever, to eac his own, and rock on everyone !!
We do have something in common though and that's called fun. That is my key motivating factor, fun and playing in two bands. Playing in a band setting for me personally was my ultimate aim! It's quite often a state of euphoria. You learn so many things when you play with others. I can think of nothing I would rather do in my life. Sheer bliss, sheer happiness.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts