The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Took out the old soveteks ( the amp was starting to act up ) and put some JJ tubes in my Traynor YCV80Q today and I gotta say I'm very happy with the results. The tubes were in it when I bought it a couple of years ago and one of them was cutting out. The blues jr. is next.

I know, I know, pics or it didn't happen right?

Well BAM!

There ya go! As Jim Lampley would say, "It happened! It happened! ".

·
Premium Member
566 Posts
I've been pretty impressed with JJ tubes lately, too. For the price I don't think they can be beat.
Their EL34 II really surprised me with their level of subtlety, and their Preamp tubes are very durable yet sound great.
Congratulations. Sometimes getting new tubes is like getting a whole new amp. Enjoy!

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It was like getting a new amp! I'm amped! JJ tubes weren't the cheapest, but pretty near as far as I could see anyways and that's why I tried them. I took a look at the tubestore and I believe the premium tube set for the traynor was offered at over 500 bucks. Too much for me. Plus I think they're a Canadian company but the prices are in us money and that bothers me. I've never changed tubes before and I doubt my ear could tell the difference between brands. At least one of the old soveteks had died hence the change.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've had noise issues with their 12ax7s, but like the 6V6s. Haven't tried any of their other offerings
I got a bunch of jj 12ax and some ehx that I'll try swapping around.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hopefully they'll be good. The noisy ones that I encountered were not new, but in amps that I purchased used.
Retubed the blues jr. today, new power tubes and all new 12ax... and they are very quiet. So much so in fact that I was using positions 1-3-5 on the blade of my strat and I could never really stand the noise in those positions before! Very happy with the JJ tubes.

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
I've found the JJ12AX7's to be noisy after a time, had KT88's that went microphonic, the 5AR4 isn't great, just like all other new production, like the 6V6 for it's robustness. For awhile the pins were undersized and the power tubes would fall out of any sockets where the tubes hung down (Fender). Hopefully they're better now as I quit using them years ago.

·
Premium Member
3,178 Posts
I predominantly used JJs (other than what the amp came to me with) and found them to be the best overall value; you gotta spend a lot more on NOS or modern premium tubes to do better. Never had a noisey preamp tubes from them, but I bought a large stash back in the day before there were any other dealers in NA apart from eurotubes, and they do (did) extra QA to weed out duds. Their prices are still competitive but the shipping is high so I used the Tube Store last time but I haven't popped any of those into an amp yet - just stocked up on spares for me and a friend.

I have had issues with local-bought (Steve's or L&M in a pinch) EHX or Sovtek preamp tubes, which is probably mostly due to lack of any sort of checking after they leave the factory.

The JJ long plate AX7 is wonderful but not recommended for combos (microphonic; due to the long plate - same issue with NOS Telefunkens to which they compare well).

1 - 9 of 9 Posts