The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
662 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m wondering if anyone out there might be able to help me out.

My strat is a squier Standard series guitar that my parents bought me for my 18th birthday. Over the years, I’ve modded it extensively, including changing the bridge and adding a high mass block.

Within the last 6 months, I snapped the arm off in the block, then had a machinist at work remove the end of the bar with an easy-out. It got the piece out, but left the hole a little too wide for the standard bar, and I can only imagine that will cause further issues with the bars snapping off in the future.

I only break a bar once in a blue moon, but I’d rather avoid having to buy a new high mass block every time a bar breaks. I’d prefer to spend a bit extra and get a block that uses a push-in arm, so that I at least have the option of removing the offending piece and putting in a new bar.

Then there’s another issue; the squier body is 1 1/2” thick, so thinner than your average Fender strat, and it requires a shorter block.

So, my questions:
Is there a short, high mass block that has push-in arms available on the market?

If there isn’t a short block available, will the full size tremolo block work in my squier, given that I never have the back cover on my strats?

I should also add that this guitar has a 2-point trem and black hardware, just for details sake.

If I can, I think I would prefer to buy a whole new bridge assembly for this guitar. Anybody have any tips?

·
Premium Member
4,709 Posts
Full size wont work. Its too long, ( already tried) but if your machinist buddy can get on a mill it can be trimmed. Just watch out for hole spacing for the strings (vintage vs american vs japan) The block is removable why not transfer the block to a new trem?

·
Registered
662 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The problem with having the machinist build me a fully custom block is the fact that I’m not the one paying his wages, and I’m not his employer. He has a job to do, and I don’t think the company would appreciate all the time spent by building me a trem block. Minor things are fine, but a full build is probably out of the question at this point in time.

After a little more research, I found the Wilkinson WVS50 series bridges, and there’s one available with the 63mm stud spacing that my guitar requires. The one I’m looking at is roughly $70, but I’m always on edge when looking at Wilkinson stuff, because there are so many cheap copies out there.

Is there a way to be sure that you’re getting an actual Wilkinson part? Is there an authorized Wilkinson dealer in Canada?

·
Registered
554 Posts
Guitarfetish also has the Wilkinson trems. You get dinged hard on shipping, and there is the exchange rate. best to do it during a sale, and when you need multiple items.

Wilkinson Vintage Tremolo- Pop-In Arm, with Block

Reputable sellers on eBay or Reverb should work too. Lots of high ratings is the way to go.

EDIT: I should add that a more durable (titanium or stainless) screw in arm might save you some trouble in the long run.

·
Registered
662 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I’ve taken into account what everyone is saying. It looks like my best option is to buy a new trem and have the block milled down by 3/16” or look into buying another one of those gfs blocks for this trem, though I wasn’t incredibly impressed with the quality of the brass block from gfs.

Thanks for the food for thought everyone. It seems like there isn’t a one-size-fits-all option for these guitars, but a few options that are almost close. I think I will bite the bullet and buy a Wilkinson WVS50K, as other Squier Standard owners seem to have good luck with that bridge.

My next option would probably be a steel block from gfs and a higher quality arm. Again, thanks everyone for the help!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts