The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,745 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Grabbed these last night, loving them. The Dark Horse is a seriously underrated amp. Ive been looking for a low wattage amp for a while now, this is just perfect! It does grind a low volume up to singing cleans at high volume! It gives my CDR, Vox AC15 and YBA2 a run for there money!

The convertible cab is great, love the removable back, this should have been invented decades ago!

·
Registered
3,726 Posts
I like those dark horses too...they sound great, and I really dig the antique radio vibe cosmetics

Traynor came out with this how many years ago? and now retooled ancient radio/film etc gear converted to guitar amps, is all the rage

·
Premium Member
12,965 Posts
I like those dark horses too...they sound great, and I really dig the antique radio vibe cosmetics

Traynor came out with this how many years ago? and now retooled ancient radio/film etc gear converted to guitar amps, is all the rage
The first one I remember seeing was the NightTrain. Loved the look and the concept. It wasn't really 'first' - I think the Orange TT may have been. But I AB'd those two and thought the NT was quite a bit better. A lot more flexibility and it looked better, IMO.

upload_2017-3-5_19-40-9.jpeg

Sadly, it's been superseded by the TA15, which I think is at the top of the heap for lunchbox heads. I haven't spent much time with the DH though, only in the store.

Reactions: bolero

·
Registered
3,726 Posts
The first one I remember seeing was the NightTrain. Loved the look and the concept. It wasn't really 'first' - I think the Orange TT may have been. But I AB'd those two and thought the NT was quite a bit better. A lot more flexibility and it looked better, IMO.

View attachment 68785

Sadly, it's been superseded by the TA15, which I think is at the top of the heap for lunchbox heads. I haven't spent much time with the DH though, only in the store.
that is right!! I forgot about the NT!

·
Premium Member
3,374 Posts

View attachment 68785

That whole lunchbox aesthetic comes from 50s/60s PA/Paging amps e.g. my little Bogen (also Altec, Lafayette, et al):

(not mine - a previosu owner painted the perf metal part of mine red, which looks amazing).

The Dark Horse is more deco though.... really looks good. Personally I think they took a note of inspiration from these guys too:

·
Premium Member
4,336 Posts
Grabbed these last night, loving them. The Dark Horse is a seriously underrated amp. Ive been looking for a low wattage amp for a while now, this is just perfect! It does grind a low volume up to singing cleans at high volume! It gives my CDR, Vox AC15 and YBA2 a run for there money!

The convertible cab is great, love the removable back, this should have been invented decades ago!

That is one sweet little cab! Did you got the pair brand new?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts