The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just a married father of four who never grew up, with 6 guitars, 5 from thrift stores, bargains and beaters, including an Arthur Hensel Artist parlor guitar (1930`s, Goodwill find, great sound, needs neck reset, though) a late 60's CBS Masterworks MGW-550 ($65 - Value Village, great shape), a 1981 Yamaha FG-335ii, ($85, Value Village, w/case, hardly played), an Alvarez 5062 dreadnought (purchased new, 1991, under-rated guitar), a 1968 Kiso-Suzuki classical K-100 ($60 Value Village, incredible sound and shape) and an old Suzuki No. 9 parlor guitar, 1962, $9.99 at VV. If the action on this were lower, with some extra light or silk and steel strings - it's got an amazing sound for a guitar most see as a junker (looks the part, but all together, no splits in the wood). So here I am. In Calgary. Hoping to learn, share, and "see" here. (-17, as I type). Nothing like finder an eclectic, unique gem, at a thrift store of estate sale!

Might as well ask - anyone w/any deeper info on any of these guitars, let me know. I have a fair bit of knowledge on the Hensel, and the CBS Masterworks (Fender made, but would like to know the solid woods used, as it's not laminate, as well as the value). I am also interested in the No. 9 Suzuki - what type of solid woods were used. And if anyone knows a good luthier in Calgary - looking for the best, for my buck in tough economy, to reset the neck on the Hensel. (Three of my kids play strings, one viola, two violins. The fourth plays flute. The wife knits, and is very "artisan". I'm pretty fortunate they don't mind the guitars!)

Pax!

James

·
Premium Member
16,837 Posts
Welcome to the boards! Do your children ever play pieces together willingly?

·
Premium Member
17,335 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

We have similar interests/approach to buying. I have purchased three old Yamaha guitars that have all needed neck resets. One was $40, one was $65 and the other was $170. I still have two of these guitars.

Enjoy and post often.

Cheers

Dave

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Welcome to the boards! Do your children ever play pieces together willingly?
Yes they do. In fact, they've an interest in busking for a little pocket change. Gotta love that!

Reactions: Budda

·
Premium Member
10,951 Posts
Welcome aboard.

Curious to see a picture of your Suzuki parlour guitar. My first guitar was a greenish one that had belonged to my sister.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Welcome aboard.

Curious to see a picture of your Suzuki parlour guitar. My first guitar was a greenish one that had belonged to my sister.
I'll try and do that.

Reactions: Mooh
1 - 10 of 10 Posts