The Canadian Guitar Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had been wondering for a while what to do with my Epiphone LP.. Ever since I got the Gibson, it has just been collecting dust. I thought about modding it, but also wondered if I could find someone who would trade a MIM Strat for it.

The trade opportunity presented itself the other day, so I went for it.
It's a 2004 Mexican FSR.. I can't really find too much info on these. I don't think there's really anything special about them.
The finish is one I didn't know I liked until I saw it.. I'm fairly picky with strats

The first couple frets need some work, and the nut needs to be replaced, but otherwise everything is in really good condition. There's no dings or scratches anywhere that I've noticed yet. The finish is interesting, the colour changes depending on the angle you're viewing it at, ranging from green to blue to like a dark purple.

I'm not sure if the trade was even or not, MIM strats always seem to have a higher asking price on the used market, but I generally consider them to be valued the same. I don't really care though, I'm happy with it.
I'm looking forward to having some fun with this one.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
4,358 Posts
IN my books a non FSR strat MIM is worth $325-$550 depending on preference and value / perceived value.

The fsr models are better supposedly. I own a mat gold one and it’s super. I really like it.

Yours is sweet. I’m not a fan of green guitars tho. Marching headstock is always a bonus.

A facelift with new pickups (only hand wound imo) will make a world of difference.

I also like to remove The finish from
The back of the maple necks. Do the coffee filter with gun stock oil. It’s a killer and easy upgrade.

Rock on.

. .

·
Premium Member
4,002 Posts
I also like to remove The finish from
The back of the maple necks. Do the coffee filter with gun stock oil. It’s a killer and easy upgrade.

Rock on.

. .
Any sites or tips on how to do this bonee?

Sent from my other brain.

·
Premium Member
4,358 Posts
I just gave it a whirl. Stripped the finish with 300 then 600. Then went to 800 for a nice smooth finale. After whipping it down with a damp cloth and let it dry I went ahead and applied the oil. Onto the coffe filter first then rubbed into the neck. Each drop Drop onto the filter was about the area of a billiards cue ball. I reapplied 3 times and was done.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.