Votes: 1 33.3%

• Total voters
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi all!
I would like to purchase a guitar for a reasonable press (less than $300 preferably). I am a very petit woman with small hands, so a smaller guitar would probably be best. I started to teach myself some of the basic chords on a Mini Squire with an entry-level Fender amp. Ive had the guitar for at least 10 years now and I've decided to take learning the guitar much more seriously. I would like to learn to play rock (hard, classic, alt.), punk rock, some metal perhaps, and the blues. Such as, but not limited to, bands like Green Day, Nirvana, Iron Maiden, the Beatles, etc. I would also like to eventually learn to shred. According to Guitar Fella the best guitars for small hands are:

• Squire Strat Mini
  • Ibanez GRGM21BKN.
  • Epiphone SG Special.
  • Fender Jaguar.
  • Eastman E10P.
  • Taylor BT2 Baby Taylor.
  • Epiphone PR5-E.
  • Daisy Rock Wildwood Artist
Which of these guitars best fits my needs? Or if anyone has any other suggestions or tips... any input would be great and much appreciated!

·
Registered
11,821 Posts
Welcome to the forum!

Maybe an Ibanez S series? They have a thinner neck and the bodies taper at the edges.
I had one and it was really light, a nice guitar for the money.
An RG is another possibility.

A Fender/Squier "Modern C" and a Gibson/Epiphone slim taper necks are not really that big.
The Squier Classic Vintage line is nice and a good bang for the buck.

I'm not that familiar with most of your options. Good luck in your search!

·
Premium Member
3,153 Posts
IMG_0245.PNG
Hi welcome to the forum.

Find this page, sorry I don't know how to post a link. The article is called "The Long and Short of It."

·
Premium Member
2,182 Posts
For a first "good" guitar I'd get a Taylor baby or a used GS mini. Easy to play, sounds great, stays in tune and durable.

As far as an electric I would try them and see, I think the neck size and profile is as important as the scale. My son started using a full sized strat at age 12, long scale and medium C neck and he has no issues at all. He does use lighter strings, and has just recently been able to do the 6 fret span you need for shuffles and stuff.

·
Premium Member
8,478 Posts
I'm always pushing the SUB series by Ernie Ball/Musicman.

Naturally made for smaller hands. Oiled finished neck for some smooth playing. The silhouette styled one can cover a lot of ground - chicken pickin' to shredding metal.

·
Premium Member
2,094 Posts
Ask in this forum for a recommendation for a good shop in your area and take your Squier Mini in for a setup. The Squier is a good guitar for your situation but every one I've seen would benefit from a setup. A well setup guitar is much easier to play and thus easy to learn on.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts