The Canadian Guitar Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I really enjoy discovering new talent. The radio stations I listen to are either classic rock only or a mix. They rarely seem to play new talent. I stumbled across a band I've never heard of before while listening to a TV blues channel.

Cant get enough of them.

Digging around to find more of their music, I found this guy (I think he's dating one of the girls in Larkin Poe) and holy crap...this guy's playing sizzles. Baddest SSS Strat I think I've ever heard.

How about your new discoveries?

·
Premium Member
2,044 Posts
I caught Larkin Poe last September opening for Seger at Pine Knob outside Detroit - very good stuff. They were more aggressive in concert than either of those clips - but they had mentioned that was their largest gig ever by far so perhaps everything was just amped up an extra 10-20%.

Either way, solid opener and impressive musicians. In this era of MeToo and assorted causes, I won't bother pointing out the obvious visuals of a couple sisters who know how to play and entertain before a 70-something dude and his equally "vintage" band comes out to get sweaty for the next 2.5 hours...

·
Premium Member
18,838 Posts
Spotify playlists, bandcamp recommendations, asking people you know - there's lots of ways to discover new music :)

There's a ton of music that's old that people haven't heard yet (like me, not knowing about cave in until I joined) and then there's the multitude of underground bands in a lot of genres who maybe aren't as marketable or just don't care. I wouldn't rely on the radio for new music because by the time it hits their new music list, 10K+ people already know about it and could have told you lol.

·
Registered
18,593 Posts
Those two gals are very good and that trailer is awesome.

Great post, Scotty.

Reactions: Scotty

·
Premium Member
1,094 Posts
Last year a buddy turned me on to Terra Lightfoot from Hamilton. Her music just keeps growing on me. On Friday night we saw her in the Live Lab at McMaster University. Terrific raw talent. Lots of video out there of her. She can go from coffee house acoustic finger picking to good hard rock. Here's a polished video from her new album:

·
Registered
138 Posts
Years ago I would use grooveshark to find music I hadn't heard of yet. You would just play stuff you like and it would then start playing things like it. You could like/dislike songs and it would fine tune what it thinks you would like

Now between spotify and youtube I find more new music than I have time to listen to.

·
Registered
3,533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Sorry, but I’m going to keep going on about this duo. I get onto something and can’t give it up, and these gals are really something.

As far as I know this vid is a song about or dedicated to their grandfather who suffered from mental illness, schizophrenia. Which reportedly skips a generation. The words are powerful, or at least to me.

Another neat piece of trivia; these two’s great, great(?) grandfather, Larkin Poe was cousin to Edgar Allan Poe.

o

1 - 11 of 11 Posts