The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,833 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. A quick question about one of my amps. I have a SS Fender that I practice with but everytime I turn it off, there is this load pop! I'm wondering if this could be a defective on/off switch?

Any suggestions?

I won't bother bringing it to a tech cause it only cost me $50 in the first place and probably isn't worth much more than that. I'd like to fix it myself if I can.

·
Registered
2,665 Posts
Stratin2traynor said:
Hi. A quick question about one of my amps. I have a SS Fender that I practice with but everytime I turn it off, there is this load pop! I'm wondering if this could be a defective on/off switch?

Any suggestions?

I won't bother bringing it to a tech cause it only cost me $50 in the first place and probably isn't worth much more than that. I'd like to fix it myself if I can.

Not likely the switch. Many amps make a noise when switched off, especially solid state ones.

What's more, lots of very inexpensive SS amps do it right out of the box! They don't put much extra in parts to stop this sort of thing, to keep the price down.

It may be a cap starting to get weak. I can't really give you an easy answer that you can just go ahead and do yourself.

General rule of guitar amps is that if you're not technically educated it is NEVER something easy and simple like a switch that anyone can change! What's more, parts often are fried inside yet look perfect on the outside.

My advice is that for $50 live with it until it totally dies, while saving up for a tube amp! :rockon2: :food-smiley-004:

·
Registered
2,833 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks WildBill. I will likely just keep playing it. I like the Fender cleans. I realize it's not a Twin or Deluxe Reverb but it suits my needs when I want to mess around with pristine clean.

As for a Tube amp - already have two: Traynor YCV20WR 15 Watt with an Eminence Governor (still working with a GE-7 to get exactly what I'm looking for) and I also have a Epi Valve Junior head with extension cab.

You might have noticed that I have quite a few tech questions on the forum. The reason is, I got into a nasty car accident about 6 weeks ago and have been off work since then. Back is all screwed up - hands and fingers completely intact though!!!! So I've taken my time off to finish some of stuff on my to do list. Pretty much done now with the list, so I guess I'm just looking for something to do.

Thanks for entertaining my questions WildBill. There will no doubt be more until I go back to work....Thanks:banana:

·
Registered
2,665 Posts
Stratin2traynor said:
Thanks for entertaining my questions WildBill. There will no doubt be more until I go back to work....Thanks:banana:
Anytime! Just look after that back. No more accidents!:food-smiley-004:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts