The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
540 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I just received this from our GC member, gearlovin.
I'm always curious about newer builders but rarely get the chance to try anything.

This Sweetwood Signature is one hell of a good axe. Fit and finish on par with PRS, but still has a hand-crafted kind of feel. The asymmetrical neck is wonderful to play - I can't feel the change while I'm playing but it's a very non-fatiguing, comfortable neck. Fret-work is superb. Maybe the best I've encountered.

It came with Jimmy Wallace PAFs, which I'd never heard of, but hot-damn are they good! I'm sure not a PAF expert by any means, but they combine jangle/warmth/air/clarity/hair just dead-on for my wants.

I love the headstock! Its angle and bevels are difficult to photograph, though. I think it's evocative of the '50's Futurist style. It's also a great design if you use Hercules guitar hangers.

I've never really considered HipShot hardware before, but the tuners might be the best I've used and the Bridge is stable, smooth, and edge free. I like how neat the guitar appears without all the extra bling of a Tune-O-Matic. I like to think the string-through design is part of the guitar's resonance.

I played it for an hour unplugged and was pleasantly impressed - not a single buzz or rattle, the nut's cut perfectly, and the whole body resonates. Very well balanced on a strap.

In fact, I'm going to go plug it right now!

IMG_1628.JPG

·
Registered
498 Posts
Makes me want to try one. Nice review. Beautiful axe.

Congrat's!

Reactions: Moot

·
Premium Member
16,640 Posts
I dig that body shape. Interesting bridge choice for it as well.

·
Premium Member
540 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the kind words, everyone!

Here are a few more pics:

IMG_1636.JPG
IMG_1639.JPG
IMG_1635.JPG
IMG_1641.JPG

I like that the last pic looks like an angry owl-monster!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
That's got a real nice cut to the body. I can especially tell from the second picture. I really like the lamination on the body. Makes it seem more like an instrument, if you get what I mean?

·
Mad Strappier
470 Posts
very cool design choices. I'm hard to please as far as headstock and non-traditional inlays, but those two rub me completely the right way

·
Premium Member
8,460 Posts
Whenever I see something like this, I always check to see if the poster is local, so I can impose.

I'm really wanting to play this based on your description. And I think I'd have to see that headstock in person before I yay or nay though.

·
Premium Member
540 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
;)
Nice rig and beauty grains.
Did you get that amp from the good fella in Squamish?
Thanks, and yes, this was Kerry's Memphis before it was mine. It's the best amp I've ever played!
The Sweetwood gets along with the Fryette like Ginger Rogers gets along with Fred Astaire. I only have to switch the "mode" switches from Smooth and Bloom (ch.1&2) to Crisp and Spank, respectively, and I'm there. I haven't had the urge to touch my EQ settings, even.

And these Jimmy Wallace pickups - they're phenomenal! They're a beautiful match for the Comet's woods, and they get along with my whole pedal set-up.

Big kudos to Glen Sweetwood for crafting a guitar that's spontaneous, tight, and lithe, but feels relaxed in the hand.

·
Registered
18,557 Posts
Sweet...........................................wood. Enjoy!

·
Premium Member
11,619 Posts
Nice rig. Is it just me or does that Sweetwood remind me a bit of a solid body Languedoc melded with Brian May's headstock (both high praise in my world)?

·
Premium Member
540 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I dig that body shape. Interesting bridge choice for it as well.
Very interesting bridge choice. String-through-body is a design I'm a fan of. And it really changes the way this kind of guitar feels - normally the neck is attached to the body at a bit of an angle to compensate for the TOM bridge, but this guitar's neck is completely in line with the body. This places the pickups much closer to flush to to the body and gives an overall sleekness to the design. Again, I'm really impressed with the HipShot gear.

·
Premium Member
1,750 Posts
I dig that one. Has a bit of a "hippy sandwich" vibe visually but with a more traditional set neck construction

·
Premium Member
16,640 Posts
I had hipshot tuners on a les paul, they worked well.

·
Premium Member
540 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
- Three Weeks In -

I've had the Sweetwood for about three weeks and all I can say is Wow!
Honeymoon periods usually only last a week with me but this Comet Signature is the easiest playing guitar I've ever owned. It's become my go-to guitar for anything at home or at someone else's place. And, by Jove, do I get a lot of compliments on it! The sound and the construction are big hits, but the headstock has people divided 50-50.

With its string-through bridge it has a snappier attack than Tune-O-Matics but still has the humbuckers/mahogany girth and grind; the attack of a Tele and the grind of an LP! Perfect.

Unlike the LP design there's no angle to the neck/body. It's straight like a Strat or Tele. I'm surprised how big a difference this makes to the feel of the guitar. The LP angled neck feels more comfortable and "higher-end," but the Comet feels, again, like a cross between a Tele and LP.

This guitar reminds me of (as far as a 25 year old memory goes) a Music Man Silhouette I borrowed two-and-a-half decades ago. That, too, felt a lot like a best-of-both-worlds axe while still being its own thing.

Now I'm very interested in one of Sweetwood's Strats. I'd love to see this level of detail on an S-style guitar, especially with one of his necks!

If anyone gets the opportunity to try a Sweetwood I'd suggest doing so. As great as they are they suffer from very poor resale values, so deals are there to be had. If you can find one.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts