The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
16,658 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just pulled the trigger on this MIM Strat. It has Carvin pups on it. I'll likely upgrade those to EMGs pretty quickly.

Still, $225. USD shipped and it looks pretty good to me.


 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
16,658 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
david henman said:
...the colour is wicked, especially with that pickguard!

:bow:

-dh

Yeah I love perloid. I know some folks find it gaudy, but I do like it.


I was watching a Hendrix video on youtube (Like a Rolling Stone) and remembered why I love the sound of a Strat so much. This one popped up on another forum and I figured for a couple of yards, it's a deal.

I've had good results with my MIM Tele so... we'll see.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
16,658 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
SCREEM said:
very nice, lets know how she sounds once you get to play it a bit:food-smiley-004:

Right on Screem. I'll be reviewing some of your tips to keeping it in tune and applying them I think.

In spite of some of my very pro FR points of view I can't deny that yours stays in tune remarkably well for a traditional design (not to mention the awesome tone you get).


I figure everybody should have at least one Strat.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
698 Posts
Nice. That's EXACTLY what my project Franken-Strat looks like. Same body color & pickguard. The only difference is I have off-white Kinman AVN Woodstocks in mine (and it's a Squier). It has a rosewood board too.

Thanks man - you saved me the trouble of posting a pic of mine! :)

Kirb
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
635 Posts
Milkman said:
I was watching a Hendrix video on youtube (Like a Rolling Stone) and remembered why I love the sound of a Strat so much. This one popped up on another forum and I figured for a couple of yards, it's a deal.
If you like the how a Strat sounds, then I'm not sure putting in EMGs is the way to go.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
16,658 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
nine said:
If you like the how a Strat sounds, then I'm not sure putting in EMGs is the way to go.


LOL, this is not the first Strat I've owned and not the first time I've used EMGs.

I don't buy into the myths and false negatives many players seem to repeat about EMGs.


The one in this pic sounded as Strat-like as any I've heard or played.

(it's in the hands man)


I do give the passives a try everytime I buy a guitar but it's really just a matter of time before I get fed up and put EMGs in them.

I bought a Les Paul Studio a few months back and have been patiently trying to get a decent tone but when the soundman asks when i'm going to swap them out I know it's not just me.

Even my Tele and Lap Steel have been so modified. You go with what you know I guess.

 

·
Registered
Joined
·
635 Posts
Yeah, it's all in the hands and stuff, but you're not going to get a Les Paul to sound like a Strat because it's not. Heck, you can't get some single coil 60's Teisco surf guitar to sounds like a strat either.

That was my point about the EMGs. It wasn't to slag EMGs. They're fine pickups and stuff, but if you like how Jimi's strat sounds, then it would reason that you'd want single coil Fender-style pickups in it. A strat sounds like a strat because it's got the components that make up a strat.

Anyway, it was just a suggestion and not some shot across the bow about your perceived inexperience with Strats, anything being "in the hands" or EMGs sucking.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
16,658 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
nine said:
Yeah, it's all in the hands and stuff, but you're not going to get a Les Paul to sound like a Strat because it's not. Heck, you can't get some single coil 60's Teisco surf guitar to sounds like a strat either.

That was my point about the EMGs. It wasn't to slag EMGs. They're fine pickups and stuff, but if you like how Jimi's strat sounds, then it would reason that you'd want single coil Fender-style pickups in it. A strat sounds like a strat because it's got the components that make up a strat.

Anyway, it was just a suggestion and not some shot across the bow about your perceived inexperience with Strats, anything being "in the hands" or EMGs sucking.

Sorry man,

I fully realize that many players would shudder at the prospect of using actives in a Strat or at least when trying to get an authentic Strat tone, but honestly, I've used them for many years and even comparing them to boutique level pups like Kinmans, Fralins and the like I just don't get why people have such an aversion to them.



I feel the same way about the whole "tubes rule" paradigm. I do currently use a tube amp, but if I hear a SS or modeller that sounds good, I have no compunction at all about switching.


As for getting a Les Paul to sound like a Strat, surely you would concede that there's much more to the differences between the two than just the pups.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
16,658 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Tarbender said:
Outstanding color and dazzling pickguard...very nice!

Well thanks. Strangely enough I really don't care much about colour, other than that I prefer a solid colour to a sunburst or figured top. I don't have any other blue guitars so, .....I got nothing.


I do have a thing for perloid pickguards though. I need one for my Tele.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
788 Posts
Milkman said:
Right on Screem. I'll be reviewing some of your tips to keeping it in tune and applying them I think.

In spite of some of my very pro FR points of view I can't deny that yours stays in tune remarkably well for a traditional design (not to mention the awesome tone you get).


I figure everybody should have at least one Strat.
If you cant get it to stay in tune, I'd gladly tweek it for you next time you come up, prolly take a few hours if its a 2 point trem, I have never charged anyone for work so you have nothing to loose, I love to talk shop while working on friends guitars.

I have a vintage stile strat coming soon, dunno if I will be able to get that to stay in tune after abuse, challenging myself with it:tongue:
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
16,658 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
SCREEM said:
If you cant get it to stay in tune, I'd gladly tweek it for you next time you come up, prolly take a few hours if its a 2 point trem, I have never charged anyone for work so you have nothing to loose, I love to talk shop while working on friends guitars.

I have a vintage stile strat coming soon, dunno if I will be able to get that to stay in tune after abuse, challenging myself with it:tongue:
Nice of you to offer, but I'm a DIY guy. I've been building my stage guitars and setting them up for decades. That doesn't mean that I can't learn from others experience though.

I've use some of the methods you employ but the last time I had a conventional Strat trem, the internet didn't exist. There's just a lot more access to common experience and knowledge now.


I'm looking forward to it as a specialty guitar, but it's not ever likely to become my main stage axe.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,740 Posts
SCREEM said:
If you cant get it to stay in tune, I'd gladly tweek it for you next time you come up, prolly take a few hours if its a 2 point trem, I have never charged anyone for work so you have nothing to loose, I love to talk shop while working on friends guitars.
...brother!

can you get my g&l legacy to return to pitch? it can't seem to find the zero point.

any suggestions hugely appreciated!!!!!!!!!!!!

-dh
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
788 Posts
david henman said:
...brother!

can you get my g&l legacy to return to pitch? it can't seem to find the zero point.

any suggestions hugely appreciated!!!!!!!!!!!!

-dh
add more tention on the bass side srew of the trem claw...loosen the treble side screw, if that dont work I could give it a whirl next time you're in town, shouldn't be a problem.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
788 Posts
my new strat

just got this today, altho the honeymoon just started, it's already my favorite guitar, the resonnace is unbelivable, my other axes dont even come close.

The person who sold it to me on ebay, was way off base on the description, he described it as a mij 62RI body with a mij 54RI neck, guess he didn't know that a 54 strat only came in 2 tone burst and a 62RI would be a 3 tone.

What fooled him was the 62RI loaded non export pickguard.
The neck and body are original mij in 1990 STC-54 stamped on neck and body, 7.4lbs...has a nice chunky V neck and a huge calaham block instaled, 3 piece alder body non export...$706 to the door....sounds killer, stays in tune perfect after 5 hours of tweeking, hate the 7.5 radius because I cant get the action as low as my other guitars, I can live with that however.




 

·
Registered
Joined
·
169 Posts
Very nice guitar Screem. By the the way, I have applied your suggestions for stabilizing the trem on my Squier. It has helped greatly. The trem has become more useful. A decent nut and locking tuners would probably fix the remainder of it's problems. Thanks for your suggestions.:food-smiley-004:
 
1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Top