The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 1960b 4X12 is starting to sound a little tired. Is that possible? Its an ex backline rental, and I find it to be farting out at lower volume that it should, even with the bass and resonance down.

Is it worth replacing the speakers, or just sell it and put out for a newer cab? Its like 150-200 per celestion in Canada, and I don't think Warehouse Speakers ships to Canada.

·
Premium Member
2,595 Posts
IF your happy with the size and shape of the original cabinet, I would look at replacing the speakers....
Has to be cheaper then getting a new cabinet.
As for your new choice for speakers, there is a huge variety of good quality speakers available to anyone
who wants to bother looking.
These guys carry a nice selection and Im pretty sure they ship.
Canada's Largest Inventory of Celestion, B&C and Eminence speaker drivers.

good luck with your speaker quest...
G.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Nex Gen here in Canada carries the full line of Warehouse speakers. I haven't bought speakers from them but several other orders of parts and they were great to deal with and fast reasonable shipping.

·
Premium Member
17,347 Posts
My 1960b 4X12 is starting to sound a little tired. Is that possible? Its an ex backline rental, and I find it to be farting out at lower volume that it should, even with the bass and resonance down.
Are you using a tube head/combo with it? Because that sounds like a dying power tube problem, not a speaker problem.

·
Premium Member
17,818 Posts
Are you using a tube head/combo with it? Because that sounds like a dying power tube problem, not a speaker problem.
@Budda makes an excellent point here (as he often does, BTW).

Do you have any way of playing another (preferably similar) head through the cab?

·
Administrator
16,701 Posts
@Budda makes an excellent point here (as he often does, BTW).

Do you have any way of playing another (preferably similar) head through the cab?
Or perhaps another cab to put the head into :)

Reactions: greco

·
Premium Member
3,250 Posts

Is it worth replacing the speakers, or just sell it and put out for a newer cab? Its like 150-200 per celestion in Canada, and I don't think Warehouse Speakers ships to Canada.
Or severely fatigued speakers (try it with another head to narrow it down). If it is the speakes you don't need to replace them, so much as recone them. The beauty here is you can make them almost anything you want. The downside is that it'll still cost about 100 each to have that done. You can DIY it yourself for about half that (there's good videos and kits/parts available). The choice is what's cheaper (still cheaper than a new cab, but maybe not used.... but with used you can get fatigued speakers again where reconing makes them like new and you can choose your tones, mix n match even). If you replace the speakers you can also sell the old ones (as 'needs recone') for 10-20 each; it's something. You might also not need to do all of them (right away) so that could spread the costs out. Warehouse speakers can be ordered from NextGen, and there's another dealer in QC, forget the name.

But def make sure it's not the amp first (very similar thing happened to my bud's Fender and we tried changing all the tubes and the speaker - turned out the resistor feeding B+ to one of the tubes was toasted so even if you changed the tube, the new tube would also not perform due to lack of voltage - the heater lit up tho so it wasn't obvious from the outside - that's a separate supply).

Reactions: Budda

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah. All great points that I have considered. If I were to just sell it, Im more than half way to a newer used cab in decent shape. Lots of guys getting rid of halfstacks these days.

On the other hand, going with some warehouse or eminence I could mix and match for different sounds and micing possibilities. Maybe Ill do that two at a time?

Pretty sure its not the power tubes. The cleans still crush but it sounds more like speaker distortion starting to act up. I think I didnt notice alot of quirks with my rig since I hadnt put it through its paces at volume until starting this band.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
17,347 Posts
Do you have spare tubes to rule that out?

·
Premium Member
571 Posts
I have a bunch of amps and cabs with Warehouse speakers. I've been playing for over 35 years and I've been switching over to WGS for everything lately.

NextGenGuitars has a good speaker selection.

As for your question - if there's nothing rattling it's not the cab. If it's not a tube issue I'd swap speakers.

·
Premium Member
3,250 Posts
As for your question - if there's nothing rattling it's not the cab. If it's not a tube issue I'd swap speakers.
Whoa there buddy; lets not make a blanket generalisation like that. See above re fatigue (which can be just creased cones from years of use; inevitable with any speaker or at worst voice coil rub); no rattle in that case.

Yeah. All great points that I have considered. If I were to just sell it, Im more than half way to a newer used cab in decent shape. Lots of guys getting rid of halfstacks these days.

On the other hand, going with some warehouse or eminence I could mix and match for different sounds and micing possibilities. Maybe Ill do that two at a time?

Pretty sure its not the power tubes. The cleans still crush but it sounds more like speaker distortion starting to act up. I think I didnt notice alot of quirks with my rig since I hadnt put it through its paces at volume until starting this band.

If you want a new cab or speakers anyway, fine, go ahead.... but if you're trying to solve the issue with that purpose you might want to be sure it's the speakers first. Run that cab off another (known working; e.g. a bandmate's) amp and you'll know for certain if it's amp or cab. It might not be the speakers.

Reactions: Moot

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I swapped power tubes and we still all agreed there was a buzz or speaker distortion when it was loud and moving air with a clean tone.

I guess I could use a SS pa amp to drive it again to be sure, but it cant be that far fetched that a well abused cab could get tired with age.

·
Premium Member
17,347 Posts
I swapped power tubes and we still all agreed there was a buzz or speaker distortion when it was loud and moving air with a clean tone.

I guess I could use a SS pa amp to drive it again to be sure, but it cant be that far fetched that a well abused cab could get tired with age.
Is that speaker distortion new though? If you turn up any high powered amp you will probably run into speaker overdrive at a clean setting. Just trying to get a better understanding.

·
Premium Member
571 Posts
Whoa there buddy; lets not make a blanket generalisation like that. See above re fatigue (which can be just creased cones from years of use; inevitable with any speaker or at worst voice coil rub); no rattle in that case.
I always defer to your knowledge, GG - you know a heck of a lot more about this than I do!

·
Premium Member
1,390 Posts
I'm about to get off my ass to put an ad up, but if you find you want to buy a quartet of WGS and a set of 2xET90 (90w 8 ohm) and 2xRetro 30 (75w 8 0hm) speaks to you, let me know. I've got a set that I put in a 4x12 long enough to realize I preferred a 2x12 I was using all with original packaging.

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Alright, so a buddy and I got together to compare cabs. He has a traynor with v30s and was finding his cab a bit stiff for the classic rock and lower volumes he plays and was wanting to swap for some greenbacks or something lower wattage.

We got together to talk possible speaker swaps and as an excuse to have a few pops. We opened my cab up to take a look, the speakers seemed fine, but the wiring was loose with sloppy spade connectors. By the time I got my soldering gear and wire from the garage, he had the back of his cab off and was pulling speakers.

We agreed to trade two to try it out for now and were surprised that it worked out pretty well. With my cab rewired and v30s in an X it sounded much tighter overall. He was happy although I think it was more to just have something different and seemed overall happy with the swap. We'll call it temporary and see how that goes.

Im still considering moving some gear to get the matching evh 412. Ill see how this treats me first

1 - 20 of 20 Posts