The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, since Valvekings are known for bad speakers, i've decided to get a speaker off Ebay and slap it into my Valveking 112.

The current speaker is: A 30W(I think) 12in. 16 ohms Valveking(R) speaker.

So here are the questions:

1. Can any old speaker that's 12in. work on my amp?
2. Is actually taking the Speaker out and putting the new one in easy? Can I do It myself?
3. Would it be a good idea getting a used one off ebay? (or maybe new)
4. And of course, any recommended speaker? I've been looking at Celestions and Eminence's
I'm liking this one: Clicky

·
Registered
874 Posts
I'm no expert on this stuff but you do have to match the speaker you put in. That is it should be a 12 inch 16 ohm and be able to handle the wattage of your amp. A used speaker in good shape may be preferable as it is already broken in. Depending on the configuration of the amp, installing a speaker can be very simple or a real pain in the butt. Personally I love Celestions but prefer Tone Tubbys (which are lots of $$$$). http://www.steamcomusic.com/ sells pre-broken in new celestions they call hellatone speakers.

·
Premium Member
1,386 Posts
You have to give us a little more. Answer these questions and I'm sure you will get plenty of response.

What style of music do you play/ whose guitar tones are you after?

Would you prefer your amp to be slightly quieter (so you can open it up better for tube distortion), slightly louder (more headroom before distortion and overall volume), or stay the same?

Also changing speakers on most single speaker combo amps is very easy. It just involves detatching the connectors, loosing the nuts that hold down the old speaker, pulling off the speaker, carefully putting the new speaker in (careful the bolts don't touch the cone), putting the nuts back on and reattatching the cable to the new speaker.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well, Im looking for a Marcello(from Band Europe) type tone. A nice tube tone thats good with low end and high end sounds. I also want it to handle cleans well(without overdriving.)

As for the volume, I want it slightly quieter or the same.

·
Registered
150 Posts
For something quiet you might want to find a low efficient (someone correct me if I'm wrong) speaker. From what I've expereinced V30 speakers sound louder than say G12T-100's cause the efficiency is higher; 103db for the V30s and like 97.7db for the G12T-100's.

if you like the sounds of the classic 80 or vintage 30 (v30) celestions there is a company on line which makes clones of these. Fairly similar but a little darker than the real ones.

Also the hellatone's seem overly expensive, avatar speakers sell them for 85 + shipping (who are the ones who break in these speakers) but don't ship to Canada. You may want to call steamcomusic and see if they will be dropping their prices to reflect the rising Canadian dollar.

Just an idea. But I've heard nothing but great things about those Hellatones, would've went for them myself but they are too expensive for me. I don't think the real celestions are too far off from that price either.

Gary

·
Premium Member
1,386 Posts
That rules out the Greenback that you linked to. Great speaker, but very woody and midrange focused. Less HiFi than most. The Celestion V30 would be much closer to what you are after.

·
Registered
3,329 Posts
Just for clarification, the Hellatones ARE Celestion speakers. Peel off the Hellatone sticker and see what is underneath :)

Your speaker desires seem full of oppositions. No one speaker can do everything (which is half the fun AND the aggravation)!

TG

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
Eminence

Check out the Eminence applications chart. You can link thru their site. Sounds like you're looking for a 16 ohm 12 in., 30-50watts RMS power rating,about 97-98 dB efficiency, with full bottom end and "sparkly" highs....there's a few on the site that fit that description.

·
Registered
88 Posts
1. Can any old speaker that's 12in. work on my amp?
YES but some might not handle the power.

2. Is actually taking the Speaker out and putting the new one in easy? Can I do It myself?
MAYBE-Its not rocket science but If you dont know what your doing you can damage the speaker very easily.
3. Would it be a good idea getting a used one off ebay? (or maybe new)
MAYBE-I did once and it was okay. Id just go for newer ones and ask if they work "perfect".
4. And of course, any recommended speaker? I've been looking at Celestions and Eminence's
Greenback will probably do the job-

·
Registered
150 Posts
Also if you want more of a low end sound I'd highly recommend making your combo closed back or at least try it out. I think the valveking is an open back combo.

Thats just my personal opinion

·
Registered
874 Posts
As Traynor_Garnet said the Hellatones are real celestions....just ones they break in for you. I have a Tone Tubby in my combo, love it but way expensive, and a pair of Hellatone 60s in my 2x12 that are awesome for the price. Got the cab from Steamco.

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
The Eminence Legend is an often overlooked speaker but there good enough for boutique amps and the gretch playboy. Other than that Webers are my choice.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hm... well I see a couple of V30's on ebay.ca for around $100. I'm really leaning there. And by the way, would the V30 be aimed more to bass or treble? Because the treble is more improtant to me.

·
Registered
3,329 Posts
I actually like the Warehouse speakers BETTER than "real" V30s. You can still get two new ones for cheaper than $100.

TG

Hm... well I see a couple of V30's on ebay.ca for around $100. I'm really leaning there. And by the way, would the V30 be aimed more to bass or treble? Because the treble is more improtant to me.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I would recommend contacting Ted Weber and chatting with him about the tone you're looking for and seeing what he suggests. I dealt with him when looking for a replacement for my Traynor YCV-20 (30w Celestion Rocket 50). I found him extremely knowledgeable and helpful.

Here's the link to his website: http://www.tedweber.com/

1 - 15 of 15 Posts