The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
9,290 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What new songs, techniques, rhythym styles, scales are you currently learning?

Right now I learning a Canadian classic by BTO, Taking care of business!

What are you learning?

Maybe we can help each other out with mutual learning aspects of what we are currently learning,

·
Registered
185 Posts

What are you learning?

Maybe we can help each other out with mutual learning aspects of what we are currently learning,
Currently learning first inversion of arpeggios in all keys.

Sent from my SM-T813 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
185 Posts
Do you mean triads?
Nope. An arpeggio is playing the three notes of a chord one note at a time. First inversion is playing 3rd, 5th, root (one octave up).

So if you play a G chord for example the notes are G, B, D. So a cool arpeggio pattern could be
- G, B, D, B
- B, D, G, D (1st inversion)
- D, G, B, G (2nd inversion, both B and G one octave up)

Etc. Lots of fun thjngs to mix things up all day long.

Sent from my SM-T813 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
18,557 Posts

One of my wife's favourite classic rock songs.

·
Registered
9,290 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Which version of Black Magic Woman? I learned the original a few weeks ago. It's a fun song
Carlos Satana version!

It looks a lot harder then it sounds! I will have to have tunnel vision and get in "that" zone again! Sort of like Stairway to heaven! Just playing the absolute snot out of one song day in day out! I love every minute of it though! This is the kind of song that if you nail it, it gives you instant confidence.

·
Registered
14,395 Posts
Mostly working on my own song ideas--as far as songs go--but also doing some work on cover versions that are different than the original--like my laid back acoustic version of Zeppelin's Communication Breakdown.
Also keep working at knowing chords better on the mandolin.
I'm also considering how to rearrange my time to spend more of it getting better at slide.

And then overall playing.

·
Premium Member
11,633 Posts
I'm working on a medley of Sergeant Peppers into Helter Skelter (having to learn those two again - it's been a while) into a couple other Beatles songs we already play. Should work good as a set opener, from early experimentation.

Reactions: zontar
L

·
0 Posts
We finished our jam/rehearsal earlier and were relaxing on the drummers porch.
Neighbour comes over and asks us if we'd be into playing at his parents 40th ani
party up at their Peterborough cottage, Aug 2018.
Classic rock crowd.
So .. we started talking about putting together a few danceable rock sets.
No disco.
We have a year n' a bit to figure it out. If we accept that is.

P

·
0 Posts
We finished our jam/rehearsal earlier and were relaxing on the drummers porch.
Neighbour comes over and asks us if we'd be into playing at his parents 40th ani
party up at their Peterborough cottage, Aug 2018.
Classic rock crowd.
So .. we started talking about putting together a few danceable rock sets.
No disco.
We have a year n' a bit to figure it out. If we accept that is.
Is the drummer's porch level?

·
Registered
9,290 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Relearning Cinnamon Girk/Neil Young!

The people that I work with are curious as to what I am playing/learning now. So I told them Cinnamon girl by Neil Young! Most of the younger generations do not even know who this musician is let alone that he's a Canadian icon.
How sad!

·
Premium Member
3,099 Posts
Been busy creating jam tracks for a few Eagles tunes. Namely Lyin Eyes, Tequila Sunrise and Peaceful Easy feeling. The computer I use for my music stuff got zapped during the storm the other night even though I have everything on a surge protected circuit so I'm stuck using my notebook and tablet for awhile.

·
Registered
5,488 Posts
Been busy creating jam tracks for a few Eagles tunes. Namely Lyin Eyes, Tequila Sunrise and Peaceful Easy feeling. The computer I use for my music stuff got zapped during the storm the other night even though I have everything on a surge protected circuit so I'm stuck using my notebook and tablet for awhile.
I love playing the leads on PEF. So much fun to twang away on the Tele. I'm a big fan of Bernie Leadon's picking

·
Registered
9,290 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I have a hard copy for practically everything! It's only way to fly. Sometimes at the Rehearssl factory their WiFi sucks so at least I can depend on them.

Damn, damn and damn!

Lat night I had another really upsetting dream about my Parker. Again at the Rehearsal factory! I went to get my guitar from my case only to find out that it had been replaced by a Guitar Hero plastic guitar! These dreams are crazy! I'm don't what the psychological ramifications are that tied to dreams such as these!

·
Registered
11,039 Posts
What are you using for surge protection? I've just got power bars at my place but saw one of these wired into someone's panel recently and now I'd like to install one.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts