The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
489 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Got this like new 2012 Explorer this week...such a great guitar. It is very comfortable to play either standing up or sited. Pickups have a lot of output, and they sound great. Very clear and aticulated, and the cleanup is good. It might looks "extreme or metal" to some, but a it a really good ergonomic guitar. I'm gonna had some brushed nickel covers on the pickup and some gold speed knobs to give it a more classic look, but otherwise, it is perfect like this.

Time to chugga-chugga-chugga now :)

·
Premium Member
12,209 Posts
The comfort of an Explorer surprised me. I really like that the angle of the upper bout is just right to rest your arm on while you're waiting for the singer to sell yet more beer. It is also very comfortable sitting down, which makes it a far better choice of coffee table guitar than the Flying V (they being very similar sounding).

Just doesn't sit in a stand worth a damn. Wants to go 'slip sliding away'. It apparently prefers being hung by the neck, being such a dangerous shape.

Reactions: Diablo

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
Cool - congrats! Give some thought to ditching the butt-ugly Nashville bridge in favour of an ABR-1 for the traditional look and sound.

·
Premium Member
578 Posts
When I first started playing guitar as a teenager an ebony Explorer was the first guitar I thought "whoa that is cool and I need to get me one of those."

Never did get one and I still do want one. I was wheeling a guy on Kijijj last year for a mint looking example but he ended up being flakey.

Congrats on a great looking guitar!

·
Premium Member
489 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
When I first started playing guitar as a teenager an ebony Explorer was the first guitar I thought "whoa that is cool and I need to get me one of those."

Never did get one and I still do want one. I was wheeling a guy on Kijijj last year for a mint looking example but he ended up being flakey.

Congrats on a great looking guitar!
Yeah. Growing up listening to bands like Metallica, an Explorer was always a dream guitar. Years passed, and other guitars were top on my list before an Explorer. Today, I decided to finally get one when I saw a deal. Really loving it so far. The pickups are really hi-output though, so I don't know if I'm gonna change them for something more classic...we'll see. If someone here has a pickup suggestion, I'm listening.

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
Have an old '70's DiMarzio PAF in my current Explorer Jr that sounds incredible.

After trying a boatload of pu's in my Hamer Standard (Hamer's Explorer-shaped series), I finally settled on a SD Pearly Gates in the bridge and a DiMarzio Virtual Vintage neck. All of the higher output pu's I tried sounded too muddy, punchy or wooly for my tastes, not enough note definition.

·
Registered
10,488 Posts
Have an old '70's DiMarzio PAF in my current Explorer Jr that sounds incredible.

After trying a boatload of pu's in my Hamer Standard (Hamer's Explorer-shaped series), I finally settled on a SD Pearly Gates in the bridge and a DiMarzio Virtual Vintage neck. All of the higher output pu's I tried sounded too muddy, punchy or wooly for my tastes, not enough note definition.
What's that head on top of the Marshall cabinet?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts