The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
6,691 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Apologies to all who are outside of the Greater Toronto Area but you know that Toronto is the center of the universe.

The article at the link below argues against the frenzies of attention enjoyed by trendy new restaurants, and reminds of the use-'em-or-lose-'em rule applying to more venerable eateries that are as good as they were when *they* had all the buzz.

As some iconic places close, other great Toronto eateries remain to be revisited. In the same vein, think about taking your wife instead of your new girlfriend.

Why we should ignore the buzz surrounding new restaurants and give proper due to the ones that have lasted

·
Registered
24,706 Posts
One gets the sense these days that eating, and eating out, is intended to be an achievement, accomplishment, a feat, the thing that will ultimately make you the most popular kid in high school. We take pictures of what we eat. We have "epic mealtime" and extol the virtues of meals too large to bite, or more than 3500calories. We make a point of treating food like fashion, attempting to dine out at places that are hard to get into, or have opened up to buzz, or are serving something that has come into fashion.

Me, I like to eat stuff that is well-made, honestly-priced, served in comfort, and having flavours that are either pleasingly familiar or juuuusssst a little stretch beyond the familiar. Side-dishes that make you feel the cook actually appreciates the soul of the ingredients and thinks of ways to show off their best features, not dress up a pug in a tutu. Absolutely nothing wrong with trying things that are a little different, and I applaud those who would like to enter the restaurant game and stick around for decades, but also nothing wrong with a restaurant that has been making people happy serving the same dishes for the last 40 years.

·
Premium Member
4,471 Posts
I'm the last guy that should be commenting on this as we only eat out maybe twice a year not counting A+W burgers. My wife is an excellent cook and for her, its a waste of time and money to go to restaurants. Rather spend 100.00 on good food and wine and entertain at home. I do get the going to restaurant thing as when we where young, we used to go out at least once a week. I always enjoyed trying out new places but it seems we always came back to the ones that treated us well and let us smoke cigars while eating. Yes, cigars.LOL.

·
Premium Member
12,243 Posts
One gets the sense these days that eating, and eating out, is intended to be an achievement, accomplishment, a feat, the thing that will ultimately make you the most popular kid in high school. We take pictures of what we eat. We have "epic mealtime" and extol the virtues of meals too large to bite, or more than 3500calories. We make a point of treating food like fashion, attempting to dine out at places that are hard to get into, or have opened up to buzz, or are serving something that has come into fashion.
If I started a new restaurant, I'd call it Dumble or Klon. And watch the people line up night after night. Sadly, it'd more likely be a Trainwreck. :(

Reactions: mhammer

·
Premium Member
10,051 Posts
If I started a new restaurant, I'd call it Dumble or Klon. And watch the people line up night after night. Sadly, it'd more likely be a Trainwreck. :(
how much of the general public do you think have heard of those names?
Dumble sounds like a Harry Potter character and Klon might appeal to gamers.
either way, all youre attracting is:

·
Registered
24,706 Posts
how much of the general public do you think have heard of those names?
Dumble sounds like a Harry Potter character and Klon might appeal to gamers.
either way, all youre attracting is:
But don't restauranteurs want to attract those with "healthy appetites"? Well, as long as they're not posting "Worst...kombucha...ever".

·
Premium Member
12,243 Posts
Nahhh, more likely this guy.

upload_2018-7-26_7-58-55.jpeg

But cut me some slack, eh? This is a guitar forum. And I ain't really gonna start a restaurant. I don't want to stay up that late and drink that much.

Reactions: Diablo

·
Premium Member
10,051 Posts
Nahhh, more likely this guy.

View attachment 219692

But cut me some slack, eh? This is a guitar forum. And I ain't really gonna start a restaurant. I don't want to stay up that late and drink that much.
ya, I honestly don't know what attracts someone to that business.

·
Registered
11,715 Posts
I love eating out and its great to get something new and different or something that can't be easily made at home. I also enjoy going with friends as the relaxed atmosphere of not having to host, prepare and serve opens up the table for conversation and a great social time.

·
Premium Member
10,051 Posts
I love eating out and its great to get something new and different or something that can't be easily made at home. I also enjoy going with friends as the relaxed atmosphere of not having to host, prepare and serve opens up the table for conversation and a great social time.

you had me thinking you were being serious for a moment...right up until the bolded part. lol

·
Registered
11,715 Posts

you had me thinking you were being serious for a moment...right up until the bolded part. lol
its a lot different outside of the cyber world, people love me. anyone here would be eating out of the palm of my hand in no time at all, the grungiest of the curmudgeons maybe not but even most of the seniors thread would swoon

·
Premium Member
10,051 Posts
its a lot different outside of the cyber world, people love me. anyone here would be eating out of the palm of my hand in no time at all, the grungiest of the curmudgeons maybe not but even most of the seniors thread would swoon

nicca please.....you got friends like Player99 has followers.

·
Registered
345 Posts
I had spent a few years working in TO back in the 90's. There used to be a restaurant called "Vox" on Queen Street East, not far from The Opera House (IIRC). The logo of the place, facing the west side, used the fonts of Vox amps with the diamond grill cloth design on the background.

I went there once for lunch and half-jokingly asked the waitress if the owner's name was Jennings or Denney. Didn't go down well......

·
Registered
18,563 Posts
That is one of the things my wife and I miss since moving back to my home town. There are three restaurants in town plus a Tim Hortons and none are very good. We are 1/2 hour from Fredericton and we have found a few good ones we really like but the variety is a lot smaller than we had in southern Ontario.

·
Premium Member
10,051 Posts
So, any recommends for long standing restaurants that might be overlooked?

One of my faves is an Italian restaurant that used to be a block away fromHonest Ed’s, Zizi Tratorria. It’s since relocated to Woodbridge. Been going there for 20 yrs.
I rarely go to Italian restaurants because I can boil my own pasta for a lot less than $15. But this place is great. Awesome service, and the best penne vodka I have ever had...nothing else is even close.

Reactions: boyscout

·
Registered
4,997 Posts
According to yelp, it may be closed.
Well then I can pretend it was even greater! Actually just a standard 'meat & potatoes' greek diner. Had Christmas dinner there once with my room-mate as everything else was closed.
Just checked and it has apparently become a beer & wine bar called 'Paradise Grapevine'.
You had mentioned something near Honest Eds and it was in the vicinity. There used to be a Hungarian place around Ed's too that was pretty good.

·
Registered
6,691 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
That is one of the things my wife and I miss since moving back to my home town. There are three restaurants in town plus a Tim Hortons and none are very good. We are 1/2 hour from Fredericton and we have found a few good ones we really like but the variety is a lot smaller than we had in southern Ontario.
Decades ago I traveled to Fredericton for several days of business. Steps from my downtown old-school hotel - or maybe IN my hotel? - was an old-fashioned steak house. I went for a Caesar salad and a steak, the steak being ordinary but the Caesar prepared table-side was fantastic. Still remember it as one of the best ever. Big wooden mixing bowl rubbed with garlic, egg, pepper, the works and just right on everything.

I go with what I like. I returned the next night for another. And then the third night for yet another one.

Each time the salad was prepared by the same pretty blonde waitress. That truly had nothing - well almost nothing - to do with my repeated visits and I wasn't at all flirtatious but she got crustier and less friendly with each visit. She probably believed that I was coming back for her, but I was a lot more interested in the salad!

I didn't want to make her more uncomfortable returning for my fourth and last night, and often think about the salad I didn't get.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts