The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Iaresee just put me onto this (thanks!). After recently wiping the Internet clean of all their footprints, Radiohead are back with a new song:

I think it's a return to an earlier, slightly less experimental Radiohead. I'm pumped to hear the rest of the album.

Your thoughts?

·
Premium Member
3,330 Posts
Nice! Thanks bud.

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You are welcome sir. I think that for people who were at a certain impressionable age (as I was) when OK Computer came out, then Radiohead releases will always be a big deal.

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I can remember going to the Paladium theatre in Toronto to hear a pre-release listening party for Kid A. The cost of admission was a food donation to the Food Bank. Great sound system, comfy seats. They played underwater videos of ocean life as the album spun. For me that album will forever be tied to images of colourful fish swimming by.

·
Registered
328 Posts
I'm of the correct age and love everything but King of Limbs (though Lotus Flower and Codex were great songs). I'm not terribly excited by this. It seems kinda bland and without the video there wasn't much of interest for me. That said, all of the Thom Yorke solo performances of their new stuff that I've heard are encouraging. Reserving judgement until the album comes out.

·
Premium Member
8,478 Posts
Funny, I just heard it on Sirius XMU and was trying to explain to my son how it was a big deal. He was not amused.

I'm a MASSIVE Bends fan, but Amnesiac comes in at a close second. Bizarre that they're so different.

I'm not sure I would say it's a return though. I always thought that they were pretty conscious of moving forward (and I think they do here).

·
Registered
11,187 Posts
Loved it! Looking forward to hearing more. Now to form some kind of citizen lynch mob, the mood strikes me. I hope its full moon tonight.

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm a MASSIVE Bends fan, but Amnesiac comes in at a close second. Bizarre that they're so different.
I hear you. For me it's OK Computer first and then Amnesiac and then The Bends. A music writer friend of mine used to always say that Amnesiac was so great because it was secretly a jazz album. I don't know about that - maybe future-jazz? Still an amazing album.

As for this new single, I think it is really good. It's a return to more melody driven rock but it's still able to immediately evoke mood and emotion as Radiohead should. And it rewards careful headphone listening. I like the strings as the song begins with what sounds like a subtly modulated processed voice weaving around underneath like a bass line. Love the lyric"Low Flying Panic Attack" too. If they come anywhere near Ottawa to tour this, I'm definitely going to go see them. I feel like Jonny Greenwood is a kindred spirit gear head because of his affinity for the weirder pedals.

Reactions: Adcandour

·
Registered
10,033 Posts
I loved the Bends, but I had a hard time getting into Ok Computer. I eventually liked it, but everything that came after was lost on me.

I'm only starting to get into what came after Ok Computer now

I found Burn the Witch a little lackluster, but I'll let it sit with me for a bit.

When I first heard Fake Plastic Trees, it really reminded me of Bread. Did anyone else find that?

·
Registered
52 Posts
Verse lyrics are too off melody for me. (something Thom's been doing since Amnesiac) Don't mind the chorus. Sounds a little like Sail To The Moon which I like. Not exaggerating when I say Let Down off OK Computer may be the greatest song ever written and recorded. They haven't been the same since.

·
Registered
328 Posts
They just released another video today. Daydreaming. I like the tune a bit better. Album comes out Sunday. I rewatched Scotch Mist on youtube to remind of the last time I was beyond excited for a Radiohead record.

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Cool! Thanks for the heads up. Listening now...

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
It's a rather unnerving song. But I do like Burn the Witch more.

I

·
0 Posts
I've had Burn the Witch on a repeat loop and have really gotten to love it. It's got fantastic layers happening. Very complex orchestration -- who ever scored that and then played it is really stretching a composer muscle or two there; those micro tones can't be easy to get all written out and then played so well.

It's a very very good song IMO.

And the ending...well, you just know the next track on the disc is going to hit like a 2 ton heavy thing when it ends like that right?

·
Registered
328 Posts
Jonny Greenwood wrote all of the string parts and I believe he did the choral arrangements on the album. The London Contemporary Orchestra plays the strings and provides the choir.
I love his orchestral stuff. The early stuff (Body Song soundtrack) leans pretty heavily on Olivier Messaien and then later stuff has more of its own voice (the Paul Thomas Anderson movies).

1 - 17 of 17 Posts