The Canadian Guitar Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Epiphone SG-Pro, love the guitar but I'm not a huge fan of the humbuckers it has on it from factory. I understand this is a very open ended question but, anyone have suggestions for pickups? I'm fairly familiar with Dimarzio and was thinking Super distortion bridge and Liquifire neck, but I'm wondering what experience everyone else has with swapping pups.

· Premium Member
6,092 Posts
Stock Epiphone pups suck rocks. Seymour Dunan hot rodded humbucker set.

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
What don't you like, and have you done any adjustments to pickup height yet?
The height is where I started, I find the clean tone isn't sharp enough. It does distortion pretty well but I find regardless of what strings I use the highs are crisp but the lows all blend together and don't quite punch the way I want them to

· Premium Member
21,000 Posts
The height is where I started, I find the clean tone isn't sharp enough. It does distortion pretty well but I find regardless of what strings I use the highs are crisp but the lows all blend together and don't quite punch the way I want them to
What amp are you using? Does it have separate EQ for clean and drive?

· Premium Member
4,095 Posts
Find a pair of used Gibson Sonex pups (dirty fingers style). Most are 2 wire so if you think you might want to play around with wiring options look for the 4 wire version (Sonex Custom... maybe the Deluxe too, forget). They sound great tapped. Statish even when both neck and bridge tapped. Wicked for heavy riffage in bucking mode. Hot but not too hot - predates the overwound craze.

They come up on eBay a lot and they're not too expensive.

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I've got 2 push pull coil tap pots on the guitar right now so ill be looking for a 4 wire setup. I mostly use a Fender blues Junior, it doesn't have a dirty setting but the tubes can take care of it if I turn it up high enough.

I'm all over the place for playing but mostly rock and metal, dipping into roots rock on occasion. I tend to use a lot of blues scales distorted

· Premium Member
29,762 Posts
It sounds to me like you are experiencing what an SG does. They're not bad guitars, but the design places the bridge in the wrong position for there to be any profound bass response.

Part of what gives guitars their bass "punch" is the mass underneath the bridge, and part of what provides that mass is not just the body-wood and thickness, but how close the bridge is to the "waist" or the "hips" of the guitar body. Because it is a short-scale guitar and has the neck joined to the body so high up, the bridge on SGs has always sat either at the narrowest point on the body, or very close to it. The Les Paul, in contrast, has always had the bridge closer to the hips. And Telecasters, even with their skinny pickups, still get plenty of bass by situating the bridge almost at the hips.

This is not a "flaw" in the SG design, by any stretch. Indeed, plenty of drive pedals and even amps make a point of aiming for a distinctive tone by shaving off bass in strategic ways. My point is that you should be realistic in how much you think a pickup change will alter bass "punch".

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
That's good to know, I never really gave much thought to the bridge placement of my sg compared to my Strat aside from my Strat having a Floyd rose. It's not that I want gritty chunck out of it, I find each note to drastically blend together in both the bass and mid and sound less distinguishable from one another in comparison to the high end.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.