The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
739 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just left L&M in Edmonton and played the new Custom 24 SE. All I can say is WOW!! Is that a super nice guitar for $999. Beautiful top with matching headstock, nice neck and plays flawlessly. Didn't buy one but man was it nice. Very impressed. The Asian factories are honing their skills big time.

·
Premium Member
739 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think had they added locking tuners from the factory they'd have been perfect. I agree, the $1800 LP Studio feels like an Oscar Schmidt next to that SE, seriously.

·
Premium Member
16,808 Posts
They have been solid for a number of years. Glad you dug it!

One of my first PRS (I got two at once) was a custom 24 SE. A few mods to improve the metal tones and I was off. They are a lot of fun.

·
Premium Member
739 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ya, I owned a couple of them over the years but the new ones are up another level IMO.

·
Premium Member
2,461 Posts
I like them. I’ve been so impressed with my PRS McCarty 594 that I rarely play my other electrics. The SEs seem like they would be a good GAS satisfier.

·
Registered
12,260 Posts
for a grand, a guitar had better be pretty nice. especially considering you can buy used american standard strats and teles all day long for far less than a grand, as well as explorers and vees

·
Premium Member
16,808 Posts
Theres a new sig SE singlecut with a bucker in the bridge and p90 in the neck. GAS hit hard.

·
Premium Member
739 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
for a grand, a guitar had better be pretty nice. especially considering you can buy used american standard strats and teles all day long for far less than a grand, as well as explorers and vees
Just because they're USA Fenders doesn't mean they're better. I'm still looking for a good American Strat. It's funny how people associate American made with quality.

·
Registered
12,260 Posts
Just because they're USA Fenders doesn't mean they're better. I'm still looking for a good American Strat. It's funny how people associate American made with quality.
i won't argue your main point, philosophically. my point is that the american standard is considered a professional grade instrument. as such, in order to get what is considered by many to be an instrument of professional grade, the starting point (used) is well below a grand. the same with gibson. higher-end studios, also vees and explorers are also considered professional grade. used, they come in at the same price point as the strat. in fact, they were, as new guitars, not that far above a grand, up until very recently. what i intend to infer is that for a grand, you should expect a guitar to be a great guitar, and not be surprised when it meets the standard. the one in the o/p sure is good looking though, which you wont always see with the other guitars i mentioned. at least not as pretty as that one is. someday i will have a prs myself.

as to your other point, i don't understand how one american standard strat is different from any other quality-wise. i did have a weird neck problem with the last strat i had, but it was a fluke and not the norm. imo, if you cant find a strat you like, it's not the quality stopping you. it's the configuration, most likely. but people do associate american products with quality when it comes to guitars. the big 5 according to anyone you might ask is gonna be gibson, (tennessee) fender, (california) prs, (maryland) gretch (i know they only manufacture the custom shop guitars here these days, but the pro grade ones are japanese iirc) and rickenbacker. (california) all 5 are american companies. 4 of them still produce their pro-level guitars here.

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
And on top of that - why USA Fenders are that price but Peavey USA is 1/3 or 1/4 or less than that?
Same strat type guitar, same mass produced bolt on neck???

·
Premium Member
16,808 Posts
And on top of that - why USA Fenders are that price but Peavey USA is 1/3 or 1/4 or less than that?
Same strat type guitar, same mass produced bolt on neck???
Every time I see a peavey USA predator for $250 and I don't have $250 I get really bummed out. They are solid work horse guitars. My old guitar teacher has one, I always enjoyed picking it up.

·
Registered
3,886 Posts

·
Registered
18,560 Posts
I had a new Peavey Generation EXP tele being held for me when I was in St. Catharines and let it go. I think it was around $200.00. I see they are going for $300.00-400.00 now used. It was a great guitar with a fully bound body and piezo under the saddle.

Those PRS SE's are a nice guitar for sure.

·
Premium Member
3,026 Posts
The 2017 PRS SE line has a few upgrades in standard appointments. See the descriptions here:

L

·
0 Posts
I used to have a SE Custom 22. I missed it for a bit until I found a CE 22.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts