The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
644 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today I got the top shaped and the faceplate glued up on the headstock. Tomorrow I hope to get the back shaped the neck finished up and glued into the body.

·
Registered
644 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
davetcan said:
I love the grain on that. Hopefully it's going to show thru.
It sure will because its going to be a natural color . There is also a lot of flame in there that you can't see in the pic that should come out quite nicely with the clear coat.

·
Administrator
16,115 Posts
Lowtones said:
It sure will because its going to be a natural color . There is also a lot of flame in there that you can't see in the pic that should come out quite nicely with the clear coat.
Hmmm....I've got an acoustic.....

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
Another nice one, I really like the defined carve on the top.

Do you cut your own LP style inlays or get them precut?

I would like to spend a day in your shop watching you make your guitars.. :)

AJC

·
Registered
644 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
ajcoholic said:
Another nice one, I really like the defined carve on the top.

Do you cut your own LP style inlays or get them precut?

I would like to spend a day in your shop watching you make your guitars.. :)

AJC
Thanks A.J. I buy the pre cut inlays from Stewmac and then cut another one for the first fret. It would be somewhat cheaper to cut all my own but I despise the way it smells like the Dentist drilling your teeth when you cut and file the M.O.P.

You are certainly welcome to come for a visit anytime but I fear that you would be bored to tears watching me. That top took between 6-8 hrs to shape ( including sanding) which was probably close to 1/3 of that time. It goes fairly quickly at first and then I step back take a look and go back and redo it again. I just keep going and reshaping until it looks right. I probably spent as much time shaping & cleaning out the scratches at the front of the horns as the rest of the top. Here is the tool I used for the shaping. I just bought it with a gift Lee Valley certificate I got for Christmas. It does work a lot better than the straight half round rasp I was using before for the contours but it is slow going.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts