The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey

I own a epiphone les paul standard. I want to upgrade the pickups. I was lookin at putting the gibson classic 57 pickups in it. Im goin for a good classic rock/blues tone. Something along the lines of jimmy page. ANy suggestions you guys can give me on a pick up I should check out? Any different brands that fit the les paul but sounds awsome? What would you put in it? What are the general costs? I found a store to install them for around 20$ What would you suggest in the neck and bridge positions?

Okay so after a little research on my own I think i want those gibson pickups. The classic 57 plus. This is a bridge pickup. Ive read reviews on musiciansfriend.com and they say to put the classic 57 in the neck and the classic 57 plus in the bridge. What do you guys think?

·
Registered
874 Posts
Either Seymour Duncan Jazz/Jb setup for a great all around sound or a 57N/Custom5 Bridge for a more classic tone. For about $50 more you could get your pots and 3 way replaced with higher quality stuff, this makes a vast improvement too.

Tarl

·
Registered
276 Posts
Tarl said:
Either Seymour Duncan Jazz/Jb setup for a great all around sound or a 57N/Custom5 Bridge for a more classic tone. For about $50 more you could get your pots and 3 way replaced with higher quality stuff, this makes a vast improvement too.

Tarl
I agree about the replacement of other parts helping. Jazz/JB does not sound classic at all though. P.A.F.'s from any manufacturer will work, burstbuckers from gibson, 57 classics (slightly hotter than the paf sound). something fairly low output, clear and warm. I strongly suggest you wire it yourself and save the money though. its a really easy job and you get good experience

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have no idea what so ever whats going on when it comes to wiring guitars. So if i replace the pots and the 3 way (im assuming this is the switch) this will also replace the sound. Ill email the shop that said 20$ to install the pickups and see what their price is. Are you saying 50$ more for the parts including labour or plus labour? I Think im putting those 57 pickups in.

·
Premium Member
15,823 Posts
Pots and switches are not expensive, you can get that stuff for under $20.00 the usual charge for replacing pick-ups is around $25.00 but it's not extremely complicated to do these yourself. The only real skill required is soldering. The three way switch in there should be fine, changing that is not going to effect your sound whatsoever. Pots are different and have an effect on the pick-up itself.Most single coil pick-ups will use a 250k pot and most humbuckers will use a 500k pot. You will get lots of opinion on that as well. Dimarzio recommends 500k pots with all their Pick-ups. They claim that with the volume full up, they effect the pick-up in the most positive way.

The theory is that the higher the pot value, the more high end you get. Seymour Duncan for example suggests 300k pots which they claim captures the low end of their pick-ups.

The tone pots have an additional capacitor. These send the high frequencies to ground. The capacitor value has an effect on the tone produced as well.

Basically, my recommendation would be to talk with a qualified tech and tell him the tone you are after, most will be able to guide you in the right direction. Do not talk to the kid selling the strings up front and expect him to tell you what you need.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah im currently tryin to get ahold of the tech. Im excited to get this done. Would it be stupid to just leave the pots that are in there alone and just put new pickups in? I plan on putting gibson pickups in their. The pots are epiphone or whatever came stock. So since epi is made by gib but less quality it should still work right? work well to. I realize it won't be the same as if I were to put new pots in.

·
Premium Member
15,823 Posts
If you want my opinion, leave the pots that are in there for now. I think they will be 250k. Get the pick-ups in there, you will notice an immediate change. Then, if you are not getting that "tone" you are looking for, attack the tone pot. Again, many other things can affect the tone of a guitar. Many people figure if they buy the same guitar as Steve Vai and use the Same pick-ups as he does that they are going to sound like him. Way more to it than that. Go for "your" tone and you will much happier. I had an Epi LP once, loaded it with Seymour Duncans and fiddled with it until I had a fantastic tone. Sold it a few years back. Marnie is still kicking my ass for selling it. Best sounding LP I ever had. I can't get that tone out of Gibson today.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Cool thanks man thats what im going to do. The reviews ive read on these pickups are phenominal. Ive found prices from 105 to 150 cdn per pickup.

·
Registered
15 Posts
imbackagain2 said:
Yeah im currently tryin to get ahold of the tech. Im excited to get this done. Would it be stupid to just leave the pots that are in there alone and just put new pickups in? I plan on putting gibson pickups in their. The pots are epiphone or whatever came stock. So since epi is made by gib but less quality it should still work right? work well to. I realize it won't be the same as if I were to put new pots in.
Gibson has nothing to do with Epiphone other than the name. Since they are made in Korea and China the pots are most likely cheap crap. If your going to swap out the pickups do yourself a favor and get some high quality pots and caps to complement the pickups. I've heard RS guitar works in the US has some real killer electronic upgrade kits that make a huge difference. I think they are around $50 US for a complete kit, pots, caps, switch, jack and wire.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well I don't know what to do now. I emailed the guys at rs guitar works to see what they though. Hopefully I make up my mind and can begin my upgrade. Thanks for your input guys and keep it comin.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Hey man, I actually have a similar guitar to you. I have an epiphone les paul standard limited edition blue flametop. anyways, I've done alot of tweaking and upgrading to this guitar over the years and obviously the most significant was the pickups. Right now I have an SH1 in the neck and an SH5 in the bridge. I highly recommend the SH1 for the neck position as it gives the nicest sounding cleans and has a great vintage feel. For the bridge position I chose the SH5 because it has a little more output than the JB, but not as much as the SH6. I was just looking for a little more grit and nice tight low end is all. If you're looking to get a Jimmy Page type tone I recommend the following combinations and I assure you, you won't be dissappointed...

1. SH1 59 neck; SH1 59 bridge

2. SH1 59 neck; SH4 JB bridge

3. SH PG1 Pearly Gates neck; SH4 JB bridge or SH11 Custom

make sure you go here and check out the sound samples.
http://seymourduncan.com/products/humbuckersdescr.shtml#59153Model

Good luck.

Edit: Come to think of it, I'm pretty sure Page used Duncan SH1's in his LP. Zebra of course!

·
Premium Member
17,935 Posts
The correct answer is:

EMG 89 in the bridge with a push/pull coil tap.
EMG 85 in the neck

Please disregard all suggestions to use passives. They will ultimately cause your pecker to fall off. I've seen it happen....peckers all over the stage. It's not pretty.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hi there....I too have recently acquired an epi SG that has been beautifully set up and plays like a dream...now it needs pots and pickups. How did the epi les paul guitar turn out? I'd like to sound like Jimmy Page too....
Anyone know what kind of pick ups Warren Hanes favors? Or Derrick Trucks?

·
Registered
874 Posts
Udu Mango said:
I'd like to sound like Jimmy Page too....
Wish I sounded like Page too!!.......................................sorry couldn,t resist :rockon:

·
Registered
644 Posts
imbackagain2 said:
Well I don't know what to do now. I emailed the guys at rs guitar works to see what they though. Hopefully I make up my mind and can begin my upgrade. Thanks for your input guys and keep it comin.
The guys at RS Guitar Works will only give you the best advice. Their upgrade kits get rave reviews. As for pickups here are two smaller pickup makers you need to check out. Contact these guys and tell them what you are looking for and they can help you select the model to fill your needs. They are super guys and will be happy to take some time to talk to you.
http://www.crcoils.com/
http://www.wolfetone.com/

good Luck

·
Registered
37 Posts
Who among all of us would not like to sound and be able top play like Paige??
Honestly, the man is a god, even if you do not like Zeppelin.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Funny Funny. And of course I can PLAY like him, but my sound has not yet been perfected. I am more of a metal orientated guitarist. But I still love to kick it and play some good old Led Zeppelin.

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
Try a set of MIghty Mite Motherbuckers. I stuck a set into my epi les paul. Wow. Great sounding pickups, hot, articulate, warm. Economically affordable. I put a second set into one of my flying v's I was so impressed.
Check out the reviews they get online.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts