The Canadian Guitar Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi, im actually looking to change my pickup on my lp100. Im really into metal and i dont have a very large budget, its about 200-250$ cad for the neck and bridge pickup. I came across the seymour duncan sh6 and sh8 and my friend recommended me the sh4 jb. What would you guys go for?

·
Premium Member
19,069 Posts
Correct me if Im mistaken but you're fairly new to playing right?

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes and no, ive been playing for a couple of month but i have a great base knowledge of guitar and amp

·
Premium Member
19,069 Posts
Skip the upgrades and put the money away for later. Get a few years of playing and experience down before you worry about gear. Dont put the cart before the horse haha.

·
Premium Member
5,549 Posts
I have a hot rodded humbucker set in gold from seymour duncan if interested. SH-2 jazz for the neck and a Sh-4 at the bridge.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The thing is, my question is, wich of these 3 pickup are the best and is there any other good alternative in this price range, im not planning to go out tonight and buy them

·
Premium Member
12,980 Posts
Amps have so much available gain nowadays that I don't think high-gain pups are essential anymore. Lower output pickups clean up better and can still get raunchy with any high-gain amp. Also, I'm not much of a metal player (although I listen to it) but I think all you really need is a really good bridge pup - at least if you're on a budget. A good bridge pup can be removed and used with better guitars as you progress. The neck pup you have is adequate for as much as you'll probably use it.

But I also agree with Budda, although playing with gear is fun, don't forget to play the gear. That's ultimately what it's all about.

·
Premium Member
19,069 Posts
The thing is, my question is, wich of these 3 pickup are the best and is there any other good alternative in this price range, im not planning to go out tonight and buy them
1. Best is subjective. 2. You can buy a full pickup set off a member here for much less 3. You will gain *a lot* more not even thinking about gear and pickup swaps and the rest, and instead focusing on learning how to play. Whether you're 15 or 50, learn the instrument first and worry about the gear later.

The stock pickup in your guitar doesn't need changing. It's a beginner's instrument, it was never meant to compete with the $800+ up range of guitars, which have seymour duncan or dimarzio pickups as stock. You're supposed to learn how to play on it.

Why am I telling you to play instead of worry about gear?

You have a lifetime to worry about gear and experiment with things to see what you like. The habits you pick up as you start to learn guitar will stay with you just as long, so invest the time and money into learning the proper way to do things now. It's much easier to research the differences between a JB and Custom Custom than it is to re-learn how to alternate pick.

·
Registered
33 Posts
i am probably going to get poopood for this but...

on amazon.ca you can get some really good pups on the cheap. i am rebuilding a nice 98 korean les paul classic that had a broken neck and a trash set of pups from god knows what. i got a set of pups for 20 bucks....neck 8.5 kohms...bridge 15 kohms. there was a time i wouldnt have believed it myself and i would have wasted a lot of money on gibson pups. in fact i have done so in the past. anyway these are awesome pups end of story. very broad tone. you can eq out but you cant eq in. a friend of mine got a set that run around 7.5k and 8k for 15 bucks. i cant tell the difference between them and a set of paf's. i also picked up a couple of hot rails on amazon really cheap. as far as i can tell they are seymor duncan hot rail clones. very nice pups. alot of this stuff comes from the same factories with different names.

as far as "high quality" parts go its rather a crap shoot and has more to do with marketing and lining corporate pockets. a friend of mine and myself both have exactly the same models of korean set neck epi lp special p90's. identical except for one thing. mine has the orange caps and the "good" pots...the works. his is stock. 80 dollar harness vs 12 dollar harness....guess what...mine doesn't sound any better or different than his. just yesterday we put them head to head for three hours.

people hear what they want to hear and thats a proven fact. and tone...lol...its subjective isn't it? i like what i like and i dont let marketers tell me what i like. in fact marketing has an opposite effect on me. it makes me a skeptic.

now if that lp classic was a gibson would i put those amazon pups in? no i wouldn't. why not? resale. money. plain and simple. nothing to do with sound.

all that being said, there is good advice above.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts