The Canadian Guitar Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,684 Posts
Once you've got thick, you'll never go back to thin! :) I've been messing around with wooden picks a bit lately, and surprisingly it does make a very different tone/sparkle on an acoustic. Picks are not what you normally think of when you want to change or upgrade your tone. That's for sure.

·
Premium Member
12,980 Posts
Once you've got thick, you'll never go back to thin! :)
That's my experience as well. I believe the pick should accurately translate what our arms/wrists/hands are doing. Thick picks are better for that. Like the suspension of car - a firm suspension may not be as comfortable, but is far better for control.

I generally use cheap ol' Fender plastic pics (1.21mm). But when I'm feeling shmancy/pancy hoy/palloy, I dig out my BlueChip and luxuriate. I notice a different with acoustic playing. I didn't believe it until the salesperson had me try one while auditioning high-end acoustics. Had to buy one after that.

·
Registered
Tell your prophets to pray and tell your bandits to run.
8,338 Posts
I found years ago that the tortex 1mm kinda tamed the ovation a bit but that was the only use for them. They sounded dull on my martins.

I just use plain old fender 351 heavies for acoustic guitar, electric guitar and mandolin. They are scattered round the house and in my truck. Sometimes I find them in the washing machine etc. If someone asks to borrow a pick I just give them one of the 10 that I have in my pocket and don't need to feel like a dick sayin I need that pick back when yer done .... lol

·
Premium Member
Air guitar
3,250 Posts
Once you use V Picks you never look back. I love a thick pick, 1.5 or 2.0mm. They are very substantial.
Try a blue chip, get hubby or the boyfriend to get ya one for Christmas :)

·
Registered
8 Posts
I am very similar as I'm using 0.60 (purple) Brain/Cat Tongue picks.
For clarity, I'm playing only acoustic guitar these days.
I use the same pick for strumming. Try the TUSQ picks. Same thickness, but stiffer. Three tone (colour) flavours, bright (white), warm (yellow) and deep (black). Have sampled the white and yellow. I use the yellow when the strings are newer and white when strings becoming dull.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Yes indeed.. try a blue chip (which are actually brown but whatever...). I had one -aTP35, I think, and it has been mysteriously missing for a few weeks. I am still looking. Anyway, this is handsdown the best (and most expensive) pick I have ever had. It is crazy expensive at near $60 with exchange, engraving and shipping but what a difference. I will get a new one if I can’t find the other one. They are that good.

·
Registered
7,475 Posts
Yes indeed.. try a blue chip (which are actually brown but whatever...). I had one -aTP35, I think, and it has been mysteriously missing for a few weeks. I am still looking. Anyway, this is handsdown the best (and most expensive) pick I have ever had. It is crazy expensive at near $60 with exchange, engraving and shipping but what a difference. I will get a new one if I can’t find the other one. They are that good.
I agree. I love my Blue Chip. I never thought I'd ever spend that much on a pick. Never should have picked one up to try on a visit to Folkway. After spending that much on a pick I figured what the hell and bought an Elliot capo to.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.