The Canadian Guitar Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So last Wednesday I finally logged in to Analogman and found a Prince of Tone for sale. Contrary to what analog mike says they are rarely available (I have been trying every Wed afternoon for the last 2-3 months) Its on the way. I had a KOT V4 a few years ago, I wish I had kept it, but I never used the second channel, so this may serve just fine.

Then I caved and bought a Cali 76 compact from Charles. Been wanting one for ages.

Both should be in this week, impressions and pedal board pics to follow.

·
Registered
12,873 Posts
Nice, congrats!

So, as far as I understand, the KOT is available with two different sides, or any combo of those.
The "red" side is high gain and the "yellow" side is low gain?
Which side is the POT based on?

I've heard nothing but good things about that Cali,
beyond my needs and probably over my head.

·
Premium Member
1,206 Posts
Stock KOT is two identical sides, and there are DIP switches inside to set a mode per side. People often use one for boost and one for overdrive. You can order manufacturing time options that, for example, "high" gain on either or both sides. I am not sure about POT, but would imagine the DIP switches are the same and that it is already the "high" gain version ("high gain" for AM is not particularly high, this is a mid gain pedal even with high gain).

·
Premium Member
2,514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Nice, congrats!

So, as far as I understand, the KOT is available with two different sides, or any combo of those.
The "red" side is high gain and the "yellow" side is low gain?
Which side is the POT based on?

I've heard nothing but good things about that Cali,
beyond my needs and probably over my head.
Yes, the POT is one half of a KOT (red side), but with the DIP switches on the outside.

·
Premium Member
27,284 Posts
The "royal court" (King and Prince) is essentially a Marshall Bluesbreaker with some component changes. That's not to take anything away from either the Bluesbreaker or KOT/POT. Rather, Mike took an existing design and realized that something different could be gotten with a few mods. So, if you can find a BB cheap somewhere, I can make the few changes needed and you have yourself a POT. Certainly give Analogman your business, but if there is a problematic backlog, there IS a workaround.

·
Premium Member
2,514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So both pedals arrived.

The Prince of Tone is a great OD. In the boost mode it does a superb uncompressed mid gain od, great top end and a bit of mid boost. The OD part reminds me a lot of my handwired TS808, a bit more compressed and a lot of mid boost. The distortion mode is not really my thing, but 2 out of 3 is pretty good. SO the BB is a good circuit, I really like it, and for about 200 CAD landed, its a reasonable deal these days. Highly recommended.

The Cali 76 was interesting, I got the version without the blend control. Great build quality and quiet. I was thinking it would be pretty transparent, but it was quite a noticeable effect on the sound and feel. It really compressed, even on the low setting. I think for chicken picking it would be amazing, but for boosting overdrives and as a transparent preamp it didn't work for me. Perhaps with the blend it would have been better. It went back, I have a couple of cool potential replacements incoming.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts