The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
After several years of using a Pedaltrain PT1, I decided to go back to using a flat board. The Pedaltrain was convenient for trying out stuff and moving it around, but now that I've settled on what I want on my board (I've been using basically the same set up for the last few years) I don't really need that flexibility anymore. Plus, it's a lot easier to trouble shoot stuff when you can see all your connections without having to flip the board over.

I tried a few different mock ups on the Pedalplayground site and 26 x 16 ended up being the ideal dimensions for it. That's not exactly a standard size, but after a few conversations with Larry at Maplerock pedalboards I decided to go for it and custom order the board and case through them. It arrived today - really excited to get started on putting it all together.

I dry fitted the pedals on the board and everything is fitting as expected. I still have to make up all my audio and power cables, as well as add some blocks under the second and third rows of pedals, so it'll likely be a while before it's actually complete. Until then, here's a few pictures.

·
Premium Member
17,192 Posts
Now that I have the FX8 a flat board is tempting, so I understand this move!

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I should clarify 'Final Edition' as meaning the Final Edition of my bigger board. I still have a smaller set up that uses a PT Metro 20 and an acoustic board that has yet to be put together (likely on a PT Nano). I'm also considering down the road doing up a separate set up that I can set up to cover specific tones - maybe a Kemper or AX8(?). So ya, the gear buying hasn't actually stopped in case anyone got that impression LOL.
Now that I have the FX8 a flat board is tempting, so I understand this move!
To me, it feels awkward to use a wah, volume or expression pedal on an angled board. A lot of players don't seem to have an issue with it, but I never could get used to it. Are you using any expression pedals with your FX8? It seems like it would add a lot of flexibility and cool uses to it.

·
Administrator
16,477 Posts
It's a great looking board. I personally like all the cables hidden and out of the way as much as possible so I'll stick with PT's, but I do have a touch of OCD :) You're right about the ease of troubleshooting though.

·
Premium Member
17,192 Posts
Are you using any expression pedals with your FX8? It seems like it would add a lot of flexibility and cool uses to it.​

I have one, but i havent gotten it into my rig yet. The fx8 also has very interesting modifiers for what triggers various changes. The idea of more or less gain, delay mix or feedback depending on pitch is veeeery interesting.​

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Final version?....don't be a fool! :)
Ya, I know. It's a pretty bold thing to say, but now that I've put it in writing I'll have to stick with it! Most of my pedalboards have been built around the same basic things over the years though, so I'm pretty sure I'll be fine. It's nice to try different stuff out, but I've tried enough pedals to know these cover everything I need. I really don't feel the urge to go after the 1 or 2 % better anymore.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts