The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So this is a bit of long story. My wife took my shopping on my birthday for a new pedal. We went to Moog Audio in Toronto which is a nice boutique music shop with a vast selection of gear. I picked out an EarthQuaker Devices Afterneath. She paid close to $260 new for the pedal. I was super excited and I hooked it up in the effects loop up my Mesa Mark V and hooked it up to the Voodoo Lab pedal power 2. It worked great for the first run through and I was summoning all sorts of Balrogs from the deep and all of that sort of non-sense. The next day I turned on my rig and all of my other pedals worked and that one didn't. Each time I engaged the footswitch the light came on but I got no wet signal. The knobs did nothing, it was just labotomized. I took it back to Moog Audio and they sent it back to EarthQuaker. I got it back a month later. I took it home and plugged it in and it worked great. I played it for 1 full hour, had a great time spinning the knobs and exploring the sounds. I summoned the demons from the depths and had a fun time down that rabbit hole. I shut my rig off. Two days later I power up and the Afterneath is labotomized again. Took it back to Moog Audio and they offered to send it back again. I just exchanged it for something else as I was already almost 6 weeks into a purchase and i've only had it in my hands for 2-3 days.

Boutique is unique but I opted to expand my board with Way Huge and MXR products as they never break they sound great and they just work. I've learned my lesson with boutique gear. It may look flashy and do some cool stuff but if it's not reliable... it's shit plain and simple. It has to work every time. QUALITY CONTROL is your best friend and will keep a whale like me buying more of your pedals EQD. After this experience i'm going to steer clear of them. Hats off to the staff at Moog Audio, they were really cool about the whole thing. Jim Dunlop ain't complaining i got 6 of his things on my board now and 0 EQD and I would have bought a tonne.

I also want to point out that I don't think it was my power supply that caused this issue as the exchanged pedals were hooked up using the same connections and they sounded great and powered up correctly the next day. No Robert De Niro in Awakenings kinda stuff happening. I'm in my mid 30's and playing guitar for 25 years. I treated the pedal correctly.

I hope someone from EQD reads this. Get in touch. I want to like your brand cause I think you have something unique to offer. But don't be the Bricklin of the pedal industry.

Bricklin SV-1 - Wikipedia

·
Premium Member
16,795 Posts
Weird, I've been touring that pedal for almost two years and it has worked just fine. Did you contact EQD to let them know what happened?

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes. I got a response the first time. I let them know the second time i had the whole go dead issue and have yet to get anything back. I doubt I will considering I returned the pedal. I hope I just got a lemon and generally their stuff is good. it was my first EQD pedal and with my experience I will be hesitant to purchase anything from them in the future. I loved playing it with it don't get me wrong, but man this was frustrating experience. I may find one again in the future but the particular one that I had had a hex on it.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I just wanted to update the community that I did receive a second response from Earthquaker. Their rep sent me a very apologetic e-mail and offered to send me a brand new pedal instead of processing a repair. Although I had already returned the pedal and exchanged for something else, their rep did want to make a right with a brand new pedal should I want another one. I wanted to put it out there that Earthquaker does care about its reputation and was willing to work with me and the retailer to obtain a solution. I'm thankful for the response and wanted to ensure I noted it on this thread as I was not expecting to here from them. I will keep an open mind about their products in the future.

·
Premium Member
16,795 Posts
They seem like a good group. Enjoy the pedal game!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts