The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
11,219 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This guitar may be the last Tele for a while in my case as they are starting to pile up.

It came together as a fluke and a result of good timing. I was in the process of building a Gibson Tele with a Warmoth 24.75" scale neck, thinking it may be a disaster I ordered a Musikraft backup I always wanted to try, 59 shaped in birdseye maple. A couple of weeks before I was borrowing a guitar that had Don Mare pickups in it and they were pretty sweet, I wanted some but didn't want to make changes to anything I already had. A weekend before at a party someone asked me if I wanted another Tele and I said it would be fun to own something in butterscotch, of course someone was selling one on this forum the next day so I bought it. I had a neck and a body at this point with an idea of the pickups I wanted to use so I ordered the Don Mares. Lastly, I didn't want another traditional Tele setup so I thought of what I had that was working for me and my Cabronita with the Bigsby came to mind. I thought it may be cool to have a single coil Bigsby equipped guitar and thats when I remembered playing a Trussart with the B16 and liking the setup.

It took a little effort in finishing the neck myself and setting it up for the B16 bridge pickup but it turned out really well. This is a great guitar, in my opinion of course.

Fender MIM butterscotch body
Musikraft 59 rosewood on birdseye maple neck
Don Mare Hayride pickups
Bigsby 16 with the neck shimmed
Compton SS bridge
Gotoh vintage style staggered locking tuners
Bakelite guard
Bone nut
4-way switch and Emerson electronics
Nickel hardware

TL;DR-- I did a thing and put together this guitar

·
Premium Member
214 Posts
Nice job. How was the process of importing a rosewood-slabbed neck, you know, with CITES and all? I've been getting the itch to do a parts Tele again. Also, are those KO amps atop the Magic? Reverberammo? Bell & Howell?

·
Premium Member
1,065 Posts
I like it!
How was fitting the b16?
Anything weird or did it bolt right on?

I bought a b5 to add to my tele cause I realized I don’t own a guitar with a trem.

Nathan

·
Registered
11,219 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Nice job. How was the process of importing a rosewood-slabbed neck, you know, with CITES and all? I've been getting the itch to do a parts Tele again. Also, are those KO amps atop the Magic? Reverberammo? Bell & Howell?
Thanks

No issue with CITES but I carried a couple of these necks across with me while traveling. Customs didn’t bat an eye.

The ammo boxes are Austen Hooks creations with his take on the filmo amps. One is a reverb unit the other is an amp.

·
Registered
11,219 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I like it!
How was fitting the b16?
Anything weird or did it bolt right on?

I bought a b5 to add to my tele cause I realized I don’t own a guitar with a trem.

Nathan
Thanks

Fitting the B16 was easy, just line it up and screw it on, but the bridge pickup didn't want to fit into the existing cavity so I had to route it a little bigger. I believe this is a MIM body problem as they use a smaller plastic pickup base with a slightly less traditional shape, if I remember correctly. When replacing pickups with the larger metal plate base it gets in the way and I've had to do it on other guitars I have. The Compton bridge base took a little effort as I had to whittle it down from a larger Gretsch style floating bridge. The setup came with a neck shim so by the time everything was ready for a nut it went together nicely and the Compton intonated near perfect my tech told me.
I actually found the B5 a little more challenging to install because I had to also determine how far back to put it vs the B16 has a tail you screw to the butt end of the guitar. Use string or a laser to line it all up and you'll be fine.

·
Registered
11,219 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
that's you in the pic? i'm starting to doubt you're really kanye west.
thats not me but a buddy of mine, he's very white. I try not to see colour in people but I'm not totally Kanye, more of an olive skinned type that would fit right in at a Jewish BBQ joint

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
That's one nice looking Tele Vadsy, you have it spec'd out perfectly. I have to ask did you get your Compton on this side of the border? I've been thinking about getting one to replace the adjustomatic on my 6119 and couldn't source a Canadian dealer.

·
Registered
11,219 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
That's one nice looking Tele Vadsy, you have it spec'd out perfectly. I have to ask did you get your Compton on this side of the border? I've been thinking about getting one to replace the adjustomatic on my 6119 and couldn't source a Canadian dealer.
Thanks

The bridge came out of the US, right from Wayne. I'm not sure if he has any dealers, seems like a direct type of guy. He was recommended by guys on the Gretsch Forum and TGP, seems to be delivering so far and my tech really liked it. Wayne will make it to your spec, which is a big plus in my books since I'm often dealing with creating something different than what is on the shelf.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts