The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,610 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The old neck HB has 3 wires. Two going to the selector switch and one going to ground on the volume pot. The guitar is HSH with just volume and tone. The new pickup has the outer braid (ground) and the black wire (hot). It’s a SD ‘59 HB. No third wire. I’ve checked the SD diagram but they show pickups with more wires than mine. Help lol.

E5AE4D66-A400-44FB-9578-2E1483B9CD64.jpeg

·
Occasional CEO
JB Custom
1,885 Posts
The braid is the ground wire and shield on your new pickup.

What options are you after on the selector switch?

·
Premium Member
4,610 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That is the typical 'design' of a more 'traditional' pickup.

What is your specific concern? I'm a bit lost (actually, more that 'a bit...but that can wait for another thread).
Heheh. I don’t know where on the switch the one wire should go. Do I need to jumper between the former two connections on the switch?

·
Occasional CEO
JB Custom
1,885 Posts
Just the normal 5-way for an HSH.
Unfortunately there is no "normal" when it comes to guitar wiring.

To confirm, is this what you're looking for?
1 - Bridge HB
2 - Bridge HB + Middle
3 - Middle
4 - Middle + Neck HB
5 - Neck HB

No split, parallel, or other stuff?

·
Premium Member
4,610 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Unfortunately there is no "normal" when it comes to guitar wiring.

To confirm, is this what you're looking for?
1 - Bridge HB
2 - Bridge HB + Middle
3 - Middle
4 - Middle + Neck HB
5 - Neck HB

No split, parallel, or other stuff?
Exactly this.

·
Premium Member
4,610 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Given your pic...I'd be tempted to wire it (the "hot" =black wire) to the terminal you have marked as #2
This is what gives me the closest to what jbealsmusic is mentioning above. But, I can still hear a light “tock” from the amp when the neck isn’t selected and I tap the magnets with a screwdriver. Maybe there’s always a bit of spillover that isn’t evident when you’re playing normally?

·
Occasional CEO
JB Custom
1,885 Posts
Aside from the potentially minor microphonic effect of the screwdriver impact resonating through the whole guitar, there should be no audible signal when tapping a pickup that isn't selected.

If we use (1) from your picture and number the switch lugs progressively from there, you would wire it like this:
1 = Neck HOT
2 = Middle HOT
3 = Bridge HOT
4 = Common (to volume)
5-8 = Unused

Or, you could go:
8 = Bridge HOT
7 = Middle HOT
6 = Neck HOT
5 = Common (to volume)
1-4 = Unused

That is, assuming it's the type of import switch I'm thinking it is.

·
Premium Member
4,610 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Aside from the potentially minor microphonic effect of the screwdriver impact resonating through the whole guitar, there should be no audible signal when tapping a pickup that isn't selected.

If we use (1) from your picture and number the switch lugs progressively from there, you would wire it like this:
1 = Neck HOT
2 = Middle HOT
3 = Bridge HOT
4 = Common (to volume)
5-8 = Unused

Or, you could go:
8 = Bridge HOT
7 = Middle HOT
6 = Neck HOT
5 = Common (to volume)
1-4 = Unused

That is, assuming it's the type of import switch I'm thinking it is.
Yup, it’s just a standard import switch. But, when I wire the hot lead from the neck HB to #1, the pickup doesn’t work in the neck-only position. It seems to work when I connect it to the 3rd lug from the top which I’ve marked as #2. This is my first pickup change so forgive me if I seem a bit daft. It’s the different number of wires that threw me off.

·
Premium Member
4,610 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Here’s the standard wiring diagram for my switch. As you can see, my SD ‘59 is missing the red wire in the diagram that used to be attached to the lug at the end. #1 in my photo.

09517A5B-4A1C-4180-B322-90F74AE4333F.gif

·
Occasional CEO
JB Custom
1,885 Posts
Yup, it’s just a standard import switch. But, when I wire the hot lead from the neck HB to #1, the pickup doesn’t work in the neck-only position. It seems to work when I connect it to the 3rd lug from the top which I’ve marked as #2. This is my first pickup change so forgive me if I seem a bit daft. It’s the different number of wires that threw me off.
No worries... To clarify, the wiring schemes I gave you would have to be followed completely, meaning you'd have to rewire the switch to follow what I've written exactly. If you just run the hot from the neck HB to (1) with the rest left as is, it wouldn't make any sound because the common from that side (4) isn't connected to anything. It would also kill your neck HB in position 4 because it would short it to the ground wire connected to (2).

Here’s the standard wiring diagram for my switch. As you can see, my SD ‘59 is missing the red wire in the diagram that used to be attached to the lug at the end. #1 in my photo.

View attachment 220984
That diagram splits the HB coils in positions 2 and 4. So, it isn't the same switch setup as the one I mentioned above.

Which setup are you after? The one I wrote above:
1 - BridgeHB
2 - Bridge HB + Middle
3 - Middle
4 - Middle + Neck HB
5 - Neck HB

That would need the switch rewired as in either of the two suggestions I made in my last post.

Or the one in the diagram?
1 - Bridge HB
2 - Bridge HB (split coil) + Middle
3 - Middle
4 - Middle + Neck HB (split coil)
5 - Neck HB

...which is not possible because you can't split the neck HB. You can still split the bridge though. Do you still want the bridge HB to be split in the 2nd position?

·
Premium Member
4,610 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
No worries... To clarify, the wiring schemes I gave you would have to be followed completely, meaning you'd have to rewire the switch to follow what I've written exactly. If you just run the hot from the neck HB to (1) with the rest left as is, it wouldn't make any sound because the common from that side (4) isn't connected to anything. It would also kill your neck HB in position 4 because it would short it to the ground wire connected to (2).

That diagram splits the HB coils in positions 2 and 4. So, it isn't the same switch setup as the one I mentioned above.

Which setup are you after? The one I wrote above:
1 - BridgeHB
2 - Bridge HB + Middle
3 - Middle
4 - Middle + Neck HB
5 - Neck HB

That would need the switch rewired as in either of the two suggestions I made in my last post.

Or the one in the diagram?
1 - Bridge HB
3 - Middle
4 - Middle + Neck HB (split coil)
5 - Neck HB

...which is not possible because you can't splitthe neck HB. You can still split the bridge though. Do you still want the bridge HB to be split in the 2nd position?
Ok, I don’t mind re-wiring. Is it possible to have it function like below? I’m guessing no for the neck HB.

777D2732-A429-47C5-992A-3ABB8E8E5F38.jpeg

·
Premium Member
17,827 Posts
I am backing out as to not add any (more) confusion.
Switches confuse me at the best of times.
I'll be following with interest.
I would consider resoldering the white wire to the terminal...since you have the soldering iron handy.
Close up 2.png

·
Occasional CEO
JB Custom
1,885 Posts
Ok, I don’t mind re-wiring. Is it possible to have it function like below? I’m guessing no for the neck HB.

View attachment 220990
Unfortunately not possible with your neck HB.

I would do this (switch connections):
1 - Neck HB HOT
2 - Middle HOT
3 - Bridge HB HOT
4 - Common (to volume)
5 - (unused)
6 - (unused)
7 - Ground (to switch body)
8 - Bridge (middle two wires; called south finish and north finish; normally red and white in SD pickups)

Of course, you also need the switch body grounded to the common ground on the volume pot. If you wanted, you could just run lug 7 straight to the volume ground, but you still need the switch body grounded as well.

That will give you these switching combinations:
1 - Bridge HB
3 - Middle
4 - Middle + Neck HB
5 - Neck HB

1 - 20 of 35 Posts