The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
1,909 Posts
I think it's really cool. The singlecuts were from '59 and '60 (and very early '61 I think), I have a '60.

Pretty good sounding pickup in that soundclip. At that price I'll bet they sell a shitload of them.

And I agree, I'm not a fan of the headstock either :smile:

·
Premium Member
201 Posts
That looks really cool! I used to think the headstock was weird but I've made peace with it now. :) I just love simple guitars like this and the Junior! And dwagar, you're right - the pickup really sounds way better than I expected! The cool thing is that if they're selling for $350US, routing them for a P90 wouldn't hurt a bit.

Jim

·
Registered
1,909 Posts
or go nuts with the mods :wink: :

SD Lil 59 Bridge, Classic '57 Neck.
and yes, the jack is moved to the bottom.

·
Registered
635 Posts
Geez, that's not bad. Especially for $350 USD.

But why, in my heart of hearts, do I just know that someone at Gibson initially thought they should charge $1350 for it? Hahaha. :banana:

·
Premium Member
5,167 Posts
The other style Melody Maker they had was regularily sold at at 'blow out' sales at the Guitar Centre and Musicians Friend for $249 or less. I picked up a used one for $200 US. They were a great little guitar. I am not sure if they will still offer them or not:

·
Registered
1,909 Posts
Is that a 70's LP Case?

·
Premium Member
13,039 Posts
OK. Let's have a look at this thing.:

A single coil in the neck. A P90 single coil in the bridge. A volume pot. A tone pot. No pickup switch. Output jack in a funny place. All mahogany body and neck.

Will it be available in Canada??? If so, how much will Yorkville Sound determine that it should be sold for ??

·
Premium Member
5,167 Posts
That isn't a P-90. The original had something weird like a P-60 in it or something, and that is what the RI will have.

And I don't think that is a single coil in the neck. It's a name plate. When you see a bigger photo, it says "Melody Maker" on it.

That input jack is in one bizarre position though.

·
Premium Member
13,039 Posts
torndownunit said:
That isn't a P-90. The original had something weird like a P-60 in it or something, and that is what the RI will have.

And I don't think that is a single coil in the neck. It's a name plate. When you see a bigger photo, it says "Melody Maker" on it.

That input jack is in one bizarre position though.
Yeah, you're right. From the photo I saw it looked like two pickups, one a P90.

Watched the video on it this time.. I wonder what amp and pedals the guy was using??? I don't think I could get anything near that sound with what little I have.

·
Registered
872 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well I've pretty much made up my mind. I'm getting one, if that price is for real. It's just such a cool guitar. I've never been a fan of the headstock but always liked the meldoy makers. And I like this one even more.

·
Registered
1,909 Posts
nope, it's not too thin for a jack, have a look back at the pic of my '60.

It is too thin for a standard jack plate tho.

·
Premium Member
201 Posts
Another cool thing about this new Melody Maker is it's supposed to have a 50's type-neck, not the skinny ones Gibson seems to put on their non-Custom Shop "reissues".

Jim

·
Premium Member
5,167 Posts
On another forum someone posted photos of a mod they did where they switched the tone knob and the input jack around. It still looked a little weird, but a lot better positioning.

·
Registered
635 Posts
Jim Jones said:
I think using a cable with a right-angled plug would almost be a necessity.

Jim
For sure. I use those on all of my guitars that have the cord sticking straight out of the body. Less chance that you'll accidentally whack it and crack the wood surrounding the jack.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts