The Canadian Guitar Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1965 Fender Mustang, Ampegs, anything to test an amp.
2,053 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A new look to my Tele. I made a control plate from aluminium and dimensioned it to lay flush with the guitar body. The selector switch toggle has a copper-tube tip that I formed and threaded and the volume knob is a brass fitting that I threaded a 1/4" insert to...everything polished on the buffing wheel...let's see how long this look will last.
Bumper Musical instrument accessory Material property Gas Automotive exterior

·
Premium Member
19,594 Posts
I like that the plate lays flush. These days I have all my bodies made with rear mounted controls which achieves a similar smooth feel.

Love the copper switch tip.

Master volume only eh? I feel that.

·
Premium Member
1,329 Posts
A new look to my Tele. I made a control plate from aluminium and dimensioned it to lay flush with the guitar body. The selector switch toggle has a copper-tube tip that I formed and threaded and the volume knob is a brass fitting that I threaded a 1/4" insert to...everything polished on the buffing wheel...let's see how long this look will last.
View attachment 389186
I dig this a lot Paul.
Can you share how you wired it?
Is it a straight shot from the pickup lead to the pot lug?

and is this a single pickup or dual pick up configuration?

·
Registered
2,053 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I dig this a lot Paul.
Can you share how you wired it?
Is it a straight shot from the pickup lead to the pot lug?

and is this a single pickup or dual pick up configuration?
Nothing unusual about the wiring...definitely not as neat as your wiring, your last project is well done.
It's just 2 single PUs, 3-position toggle: neck, bridge or both.
The neck PU is one that I have been experimenting with; I removed all the pole pieces and bar magnet and replaced them with Neodymium magnets. My son gave me some of these years ago, when he was at Uni. They are the same dia. as a pole piece. I have too many in there though...too much distortion created by the magnetic field, even with the PU set very low...still a lot to learn about magnetics. When I get an inspiration, I will remove a few of the bullets and try to tame the beastie. It seems the way my experiments go...too little or too much, gotta find that sweet spot. Here's a photo of the wee magnets...powerful little pieces:
Wood Beige Rectangle Pattern Art

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
View attachment 389186
It will get better with age...I see patina already.

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
That is bad ass.
So what is the default tone stack?
does it sound like full out 10/10 tone or did you wire it like a single knobber?

I’d love to do this to most amps lol.
Hah...no tone stack.
Experimentation and trial and error in selecting the proper value tone caps and series and ground resistance between stages.
A bit of hi frequency cutting with a .001 pf to ground and a negative feedback circuit....
( resistor and blocking cap) across the plates on the phase inverter.
The advantage I have is pre and post phase inverter volume allowing me to hit the phase inverter with full signal while monitoring at a whisper.
This is a big advantage for tweaking the stages for maximum gain and in my case...as much clarity as I can squeeze out if it.
I have another gain stage now....not in this pic.
As follows.....EF86...12AX7 strapped in parallel into the 12AT phase inverter.
6v6's

·
Premium Member
1,329 Posts
Hah...no tone stack.
Experimentation and trial and error in selecting the proper value tone caps and series and ground resistance between stages.
A bit of hi frequency cutting with a .001 pf to ground and a negative feedback circuit....
( resistor and blocking cap) across the plates on the phase inverter.
The advantage I have is pre and post phase inverter volume allowing me to hit the phase inverter with full signal while monitoring at a whisper.
This is a big advantage for tweaking the stages for maximum gain and in my case...as much clarity as I can squeeze out if it.
I have another gain stage now....not in this pic.
As follows.....EF86...12AX7 strapped in parallel into the 12AT phase inverter.
6v6's
That sounds like fun to me.
I like messing about, the difference is that I’d get electrocuted lol.

·
Registered
2,053 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Never know it but I had electrophobia as a kid. When I was about 2 or 3 years old, I stuck something conductive in a wall receptacle and blew the snot out of it. For a long time this incident stuck with me however, I believe that it helped me to respect the power of nature. Once you have a rough idea of it's workings, it's not so bad.

·
Premium Member
1,329 Posts
Never know it but I had electrophobia as a kid. When I was about 2 or 3 years old, I stuck something conductive in a wall receptacle and blew the snot out of it. For a long time this incident stuck with me however, I believe that it helped me to respect the power of nature. Once you have a rough idea of it's workings, it's not so bad.
My dad used to build stereos and speakers in the kitchen. I did the exact same thing. I took leads from a speaker and wrapped them around a fork and stuck them into an outlet. The difference is that I was aroused haha. Which is horrible.

I’m really curious about how the neodymium magnet experiment unfolds!

When it comes to soldering, I find it relaxing sort of like how some people do a crossword or read. I also like reading about treble bleed and tone circuits as well as trying different value and construction of capacitors.

It’s also really fun to have a torture Tele that can be used for all of these experiments without worrying about scratch’s or making it perfect.

I just cleaned up an old split shaft Emerson pot and decided to repurpose on of the .05 caps I didn’t use on the last amp tinkering I did.
Hood Automotive design Vehicle Guitar accessory Musical instrument
Musical instrument Wood String instrument Art Sculpture

1 - 20 of 21 Posts